Choi Seunghyun

Thorn

 

“You called yourself my best friend, Seunghyun? How dare you do this to me?!”

What did I do to him? I just claimed what was originally mine.

“Hani is mine. She has always been mine, Jiyong. You are the one that never realised that. Just because she is with you, it doesn’t mean that she belongs to you, Best Friend.”

Jiyong looked at me in bewilderment. His face was red, and I noticed that he was holding his fist so tight, his knuckles went white. He had let go of Hani's hand, but Hani was staying beside him.

 

“No, Jiyong, don’t listen to him. I am yours, I belong to you. Please believe me!”

She was clinging into Jiyong. Hani then looked at me, she was crying, tears streaming from her eyes. 

“And Seunghyun, I do not belong to you. I never was, I’ll never be!”

Why would she say something like that?

“What do you mean, Hani? Then how can you explain what happened between us all this time? We are together, Hani. We are in love.”

 

I tried to pull Hani away from Jiyong, but she snapped out of my grab.

SLAP!

Hani gave me a strike on my face. My face turned sideways, and I couldn’t believe what she just did to me. It hurt a lot, but the pain I felt wasn’t from on my cheek, but from my heart. The woman I love had turned me down.

 

I looked at her, she was trembling, and the hand she used to slap me was shaking so hard. Jiyong remained in silence, but he looked surprised with Hani’s reaction.

“What you called love, Seunghyun, I called it obsession. You are crazy beyond control, and I hate you.”

My heart was shattering into pieces. After all I had done for her, she said she hated me?

“Hani--”

“It’s over, Seunghyun.”

Her eyes, there was no love in it anymore. The sparks I used to see in them was gone. What was left was pure hatred.

 

I felt so lost, I didn’t know what to do. Hani was slipping away from me.  And this was all Jiyong’s fault. If he hadn’t come here and ruined everything, we would be happily spending time together right now.

 

“How long has this been going on?” Jiyong broke the silence, suddenly. His voice was low and stern. There were people surrounding us, watching the drama, but we didn’t care.

“Jiyong...” Hani looked taken aback with Jiyong’s enquiry, she looked lost of what to answer.

“I have been ing her for six months.”

“I will kill you Seunghyun!”

 

And there went Jiyong’s last piece of patience. He grabbed me by my collar, I was knocked down on the ground, and he gave me punches after punches on my face. I gathered my strength and pushed him over, it was my turn to return the punches.

 

“Stop it! Somebody, please help me stop them!”

Hani was screaming at us hysterically, and with the help of other people there, Jiyong and I were separated. We were breathing hard, our chests moved up and down trying to catch our breaths, our body was trembling, both of us were trying to control our anger. If nobody stopped us just now, I couldn’t guaranty that both of us will end up alive. Hani remained unmoved, but she had stopped crying.

 

Jiyong stood up, and I grew alert in defence.

“You, Choi Seunghyun, are not my friend anymore.” He had tears in his eyes. That was the first time I saw him like that throughout our friendship, and I felt somewhat apologetic. He was my best friend, I knew he would never think twice if he had to sacrifice anything for me, and I paid him back by taking away the only girl he ever loved in his life.

 

“And you, Hani, you can get your things out of my house. We are over.”

Hani didn’t reply to that. I guessed she had seen it coming.

 

Jiyong gave me one last look, and then he walked away.