Kwon Jiyong

Thorn

 

It was the night before Hani’s business trip, but she seemed to be unable to sleep even for a little bit. I felt her tossing and turning beside me. She thought I was asleep the whole time, but I actually could hear her every sigh and sniffle, her heart must be heavy about the trip. It was 3 am in the morning, she had her arms snaking around me, hugging me tightly. I had my back at her, and I could feel the traces of her face on my backside. I turned around to have a better snuggle, and she seemed to be in a deep thought.

 

“Hey, what are you doing up?” I asked.

Even in the dimmest light, I could see that she was refusing to answer me. That worried me, under my arms I could feel the struggle she had within herself, but I didn’t know what her battle was. She never gave me the chance to help her.

“Let’s try to sleep, Jiyong. I’m sorry if I wake you up.”

She buried he face in my embrace and closed her eyes.

“Nah, it’s okay, you didn’t wake me up. Good night, Love.”

But she didn’t go to sleep until the morning came.

 

Hani was ready with her suitcase, and I was ready to go to work. It was Friday and she would be gone until Sunday. I offered to send Hani to her office, but she refused, saying that someone would pick her up. I wished I could stay a little bit longer, to accompany her while she waited for her ride, but I was already late. Half-heartedly, we bid goodbye.

 

“I’m sorry that we are going to lose touch these three days.” She said.

Hani told me that she would be out of contact, she would be in an area without telephone signal.

“It’s okay, Love. Just take care of yourself, and promise me that you’re going to think about me twenty four seven. I’ll be okay.”

I lied. I was not going to be okay. I would be without my girl for two nights, and Seunghyun would be out of town, too. To top it up it was the weekend. I couldn’t imagine how lonely I would be.

 

“Jiyong, I love you. I love you so much.”

She was in my embrace, her hold was strong, as if she was unwilling to let me go. She looked up at me, and in her eyes there was reluctance.

“Hani, if you don’t wanna go, you could call your boss and ask somebody to replace for you. Just tell them that you’re sick.”

“It was too late Jiyong. I have to go.” She sounded dispirited and dejected. “But you’ll wait for me here, like you said, right?”

“I will, Love. Now give me a kiss. I want to stay, but I really have to go.”

We kissed goodbye, the kiss was deep and passionate, and with a heavy heart I left Hani for work.