After Effects

The Pathway to Failure is Filled with Bliss

 

After the shock started to wear off, Seunghyun got up from his swing and stood over the huddled Jiyong.

“C-can you just not say anything, just for a little while?” Jiyong asked with a mildly scared tone.

“Of course, Jiyong-ah. Would you like help up?” Seunghyun said softly, holding out his hand to him.

Jiyong, not looking up, held up his hand as Seunghyun pulled. Jiyong dusted off his pants and picked up his bag. Seunghyun grabbed his own bag and ran to walk just behind Jiyong. He knew he needed his space, even though his mind was going crazy with questions that he wanted answers to.

They both stayed silent as they walked to the bus stop, to the subway station, the final bus stop, and the final walk to Jiyong’s house. Jiyong changed his batteries on the first bus ride and had both earbuds in his ears. He had the music loud enough that Seunghyun could clearly hear what he was listening to while he stared out the window. It was a small comfort, at least knowing what he was listening to.

Seunghyun and Jiyong walked into the apartment where Jiyong’s parents were watching a movie on the couch. Seunghyun feeling like the undead after all the day’s events went down the hall into Jiyong’s room to grab his pajamas to change in the bathroom.

When Seunghyun shut the door he decided to shower, letting the warm water comfort him as it ran down his body. After a few minutes of just standing under the stream he sat on the floor of the shower, letting the water rain down on him, lacking the energy to remain standing. His mind and emotions were zapping all of his energy and will power. After he felt the water start to cool he stood up and quickly cleaned himself before getting out.

Walking into Jiyong’s bedroom he noticed that Jiyong had just walked in. His face looked drained and stressed. He pulled off his shirt and Seunghyun quickly turned around. He didn’t want to make the situation more uncomfortable so he laid down on the floor facing away from him. He heard Jiyong change his clothes and move around the room before he heard a click and the room was enveloped in darkness.

Seunghyun laid there in the silence missing the sound of Jiyong bringing up the questions darkness brings. His ears started ringing and he felt close to tears when a small voice cut through it all.

“Seunghyun?” Jiyong asked quietly.

“Yeah, Jiyong-ah?” Seunghyun answered softly.

“I’m sorry.” He said in a whisper so soft it could barely be heard.

“You don’t need to be sorry, Jiyong-ah.” Seunghyun said back.

The silence returned with only the sound of Jiyong’s soft crying sounds and sniffles coming from the bed. Seunghyun sighed and laid on his stomach, before turning over and over again. When he returned back to his stomach he heard the voice again.

“Thank you.” Jiyong whispered, the sentiment weighted with emotion.

“You’re welcome, for everything. It was no problem.” Seunghyun said in return.

Soon Seunghyun’s body overpowered his mind and emotions and he fell into a deep sleep.

Seunghyun was running and laughing with Jiyong. They were under the cherry blossoms and he took huge handfuls of them running after him throwing them at his head, the petals sticking in his hair. Jiyong’s face matched the petals, the soft shade of pink on his skin, his white smile, with a darker pink for his lips. Seunghyun felt like the sun was finally shining. He felt so free until something broke through it all.

Seunghyun woke up to find the real sun hitting him again. He groaned, pulling the extra pillow over his head. This was a morning and a day he didn’t want to face. He groaned after 5 minutes and decided to get up. He went to his corner and sunk into the darkness again. He didn’t need to search for anything today. He knew it would come to him.

Seunghyun opened his eyes to see Jiyong’s bed empty. He panicked until he saw that his school bag was still sitting on the floor and heard the shower water running. His heart slowed and he felt the same way when he came out of his meditation. He came out with the thought and the feeling that everything would be alright. He also felt the strength to do what Jiyong needed him to until he as over his fear.

He breathed a deep breath and pulled a uniform out of Jiyong’s closet and got dressed. He walked out of Jiyong’s room to be greeted warmly by Jiyong’s parents at the breakfast table.

“I’m so glad that you are up earlier to have breakfast with us. We were hoping to talk to you before you left for school, Seunghyun.” Jiyong’s omma stated.

“Yes, well, Seunghyun, we talked with your mother last night on the phone. She told us that she is fine and she is going to try to make things work with your father. Both she and your older sister are going back today but she asked if you could stay here an extra day because she is more worried about you than herself when it comes to the fight they had.” Jiyong’s father told him.

Seunghyun nodded. It made sense. He was glad they were going to try to make it work and him being there would make that more complicated.

“I hope that is okay with you, Seunghyun. We know you must be worried about your family but they really only want the best for you.” Jiyong’s omma said to Seunghyun with a small smile.

“No, it’s really fine. I understand and I enjoy being here if you are willing to have me here.” Seunghyun said, returning the smile.

“We’re glad to have you here, Seunghyun. We don’t know you very well but you seem like a very nice boy who we’re glad is with our Jiyong.” She said, dishing husband a bowl of rice.

“What was that?” Came Jiyong’s voice, sounding upset.

Jiyong’s hair was still wet as he sat at the table. He avoided Seunghyun’s gaze and dished himself a bowl of rice adding various banchan on top before shoveling it into his mouth. Seunghyun decided to stop watching him because Jiyong’s ears were turning pink and his parents kept looking between them with odd looks on their faces. He poured some of the soup broth onto his rice and banchan making his own miniature stew. He shoveled it down quickly, being sure to give a smile and bow of thanks to Jiyong’s omma before going to Jiyong’s room to retrieve his school bag.

He stood in the room and sighed. If these walls could talk they would most certainly be asking lots of questions. He ran his fingers over the wood of Jiyong’s desk where the image of him working just a couple days before appeared in his head, his pen changing position between being behind his ear, in his hand, and clenched between his sharp teeth, ends poking out of his pouty lips. He looked at the ceiling that he knew better in the dark. He didn’t know why but even though he had another day here, he felt like he was saying goodbye to this place, the time when things were simple. He picked up his bag and walked out of the room to join Jiyong in putting his shoes on before walking out the door.

Seunghyun and Jiyong walked to the bus stop. Seunghyun was looking at his feet while Jiyong was looking at the sky. Seunghyun slowly started to look up when he saw something that gave him a little hope. By Jiyong’s hip dangled a single earbud. He only had one in, meaning he wasn’t shutting him out. He felt as if someone was hugging his heart. He couldn’t help but smile really big. Jiyong then turned his head to see Seunghyun’s giant smile. His face went pink and he turned away.

Seunghyun looked down. He really needed to ease up. What if it was Jiyong who was beaming at him when he was still confused over his feelings? It would make him feel sick. Okay. He needs to just breathe and keep his distance a bit.

The silence crept back on the crowded bus ride. He wanted to talk to Jiyong and it seemed like Jiyong wanted him to talk to him but he didn’t know what to say. What was okay now? What wasn’t?

“Hey, Jiyong?” Seunghyun began.

“Yeah?” Jiyong said in a nonchalant tone that was almost bored.

“You didn’t finish your homework for math last night.” Seunghyun stated.

Jiyong sighed. “I guess I didn’t.” He said.

“Will you be okay? You know how he really pushes for homework.” Seunghyun explained.

Jiyong softly smiled. “You don’t need to worry about me so much, you know?”

“What if I want to?” Seunghyun said before he knew the words had come from his mouth.

Jiyong’s ears turned red and he put the other headphone in his ear. Way to go. Now he won’t even listen. Why did he have to say everything on his mind? Seunghyun dropped his head into his hands, his hair falling around the tops of his fingers.

He sat like that until they arrived at the stop by the school. Jiyong lightly nudged Seunghyun’s leg for him to move.  Seunghyun trudged off the bus and into the building unaware of the boy looking at him from behind the large cherry tree by the soccer field with his eyes gleaming with tears, whispering, “I don’t know what I should do but I really don’t want to hurt you.”