Seunghyun's Second Family

The Pathway to Failure is Filled with Bliss

 

Standing in front of Jiyong’s building, Seunghyun’s nerves started to return. He should have called first. He should have asked first. He had only met Jiyong’s parents once and that was really briefly. He doesn’t know if they would feel comfortable enough letting him stay like this in their home. Come on, Seunghyun. There is nowhere else to go. His hand was visibly shaky as he rang up to Jiyong’s apartment.

‘Yes?” A female voice asked.

“H-hello, ma’am. It’s Jiyong’s friend Seunghyun. Can I come up to speak to him?” He asked, feeling really jittery.

“Of course you can, Seunghyun.” She said before Seunghyun heard a buzz letting him inside the building.

When Seunghyun got to the 3rd floor Jiyong was waiting for him again but this time he was looking at his shoes.

“Hey, hyung.” Jiyong muttered. “What is it you want to talk about?”

Seunghyun walked up and put the bags down. Seeing them Jiyong’s eyes bulged.

“Hyung! Are you okay? What happened? Do you need somewhere to stay?” Jiyong rambled.

Seunghyun smiled at the boy. Something about him made him smile. It was cute how he worried.

“Can we go inside? I need to ask your parents before I say anything.” Seunghyun told the jittery boy.

“Yeah. Yeah. Sure.” Jiyong said frazzled. He took one of Seunghyung’s bags and led him inside.

Seunghyun didn’t know what he was going to say. He couldn’t say the reason why his parents were fighting but he could tell them they fought. He really wasn’t good with speaking. He could only hope they felt a little pity and mercy for him and his situation.

“Hello, Seunghyun. Come on inside.” Jiyong’s omma said with a warm smile. She looked at the bags. “Are you spending the night?”

“Well, ma’am, about that. I have something to ask you and your husband.” Seunghyun said with as much maturity as he could muster.

Seunghyun sat in the chair that only 2 days previous Jiyong’s noona sat in. Jiyong’s parents sat on the couch and Jiyong peeked in from the doorway in the hall.

“What is it that you would like to ask us, Seunghyun? Are you okay?” Jiyong’s appa asked, worry in his voice.

Seunghyun got down from his chair onto his knees and gave a full bow to Jiyong’s parents. They gasped.

“Seunghyun! You don’t need to do that. Here, get up.” Jiyong’s appa said, helping him back into his chair.

“Well, sir. My parents they had a really terrible fight today and my mother was really hurt. She was really worried about us so she gave us some money and told us to go stay at a friend’s house until she thought things were safer.” Seunghyun said, taking the money out of his pocket. “I know it isn’t a lot and you barely know me but I couldn’t think of a place I felt safer than here.”

“Where is your mother now? She didn’t stay at your house, did she?” He asked Seunghyun.

Seunghyun shook his head. “She is staying with my aunt on the other side of the city.” He told them.

“Don’t worry about the money, Seunghyun. It is plenty and we enjoyed having you in our home the other day. You can stay here until things are safe with your family.” Jiyong’s omma said with a soft smile.

“Yes, you are welcome here. Do you have a phone number for your mother?” Jiyong’s appa said. “We just want to call to make sure she is safe. I had a friend when I was younger who lived in a place like that. It can really take a mental toll.”

Seunghyun nodded. “I’ll write it down for you if you have a piece of paper.” He answered, reaching for a pen in his schoolbag.

After writing down the phone number he looked up at them, happiness shining through his eyes. “Thank you so much for letting me stay here. Let me know if you would like me to help with the household duties or anything.” He said before giving a slight bow.

“It is really no problem, Seunghyun. Now you should go talk to Jiyong. I’m sure he’s been eavesdropping but he seemed really worried when you walked in with him.” Jiyong’s appa said with a small smile.

Seunghyun gave another small bow, grabbed his bags and walked out of the room to come face to face with Jiyong who had a forced smile on his face.

“Come on, hyung. Let’s get you settled in my room.” He said pulling Seunghyun down the hall just as he had done before.

Jiyong opened his closet and seemed to be moving things around to make room for Seunghyun’s clothes.

“You know, if you don’t want me to be here, you can just tell me.” Seunghyun said to Jiyong’s back. Jiyong stopped what he was doing.

Seunghyun poked at something on the floor. Suddenly someone came into his line of vision. He looked up to see tears in Jiyong’s eyes.

“Of course I want you here. I could only imagine if it was you that was hurt, Seunghyun. I don’t want you staying somewhere that isn’t safe.” Jiyong said, holding the tears back.

Seunghyun choked. He felt like the world was falling apart. He is making Jiyong cry. He shouldn’t have come here. He should have asked one of his high school friends if he could stay with them. Anything to stop Jiyong from crying.

“Please don’t cry.” Seunghyun barely managed to say.

Jiyong nodded and got up to keep working at the closet. Seunghyun got out his clothes from his bag and laid on the floor looking at the ceiling. It was so smooth looking unlike the one in his room that looked like someone scraped it with a butter knife.

He heard the sound of Jiyong hanging up his clothes but he didn’t dare look in case his shirt rode up again. He couldn’t risk anything while he was here. He needed to keep things on good terms. He had nowhere else to go after all.

“There you go!” Jiyong said with pride. “Your clothes are on the top left. You can just throw them in my laundry basket when you are done.”

“Thanks.” Seunghyun said getting up and stretching.

Jiyong gave him a smile flooded with caring. “You’re welcome, hyung.”

Seunghyun’s stomach did flips. Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. This can’t be good.

“Let’s go eat dinner now. Omma is a really good cook.” Jiyong said, pulling Seunghyun out of the room.

Seunghyun’s heartbeat escalated at the contact. He was done for. He knew it. His heart knew it. It was only a matter of time now.