The Making of GD & TOP

The Pathway to Failure is Filled with Bliss

 

They worked for hours. Jiyong and Seunghyun bouncing ideas off of each other, writing down ideas in margins, talking about Teddy’s comments. They even took turns rapping each other’s raps they wrote. Seunghyun could tell his voice was strained from increasing his passion. Jiyong seemed to be amazed that his voice could be that deep when he rapped. It was only because he trained himself to overpower his voice changing squeaks the past couple of years. Still, it made his throat ache.

Seunghyun snuck into the kitchen to try and sneak a bowl of rice while Jiyong was in the bathroom. No wonder this kid was so small. He never eats. He barely sleeps. It’s amazing that he is still alive. As he opened the rice maker, he felt someone behind him. He jumped when he saw Jiyong’s omma behind him smiling.

“I was wondering when you two would take a break to eat.” She said with a soft smile.

“Well, it isn’t really a break. Jiyong had to go to the bathroom and I…” Seunghyun said, trailing off as she held up her hand.

“Don’t worry. I understand. Could you do his omma a favor though and bring him a bowl too. He just gets so into his music sometimes that he forgets to eat. I love him dearly and want him to really succeed with his music but he won’t make it if he dies of starvation.” She said while getting another bowl from the cupboard.

Seunghyun smiled and nodded. “Is it alright if I have some kimchi to go with my rice?” Seunghyun asked, eyeing the refrigerator.

She laughed. “Of course you can. I’d take it like an insult if you didn’t.” She said, finishing scooping a large mound of rice into the bowl.

Seunghyun walked into Jiyong’s room with 2 bowls after having already eaten a bowl with kimchi to compliment and flatter Jiyong’s mother who looked like she really hoped for his comments on her kimchi. It was delicious, but no one beat his omma’s cooking.

Jiyong was hunched over his own notebook, looking like he was taking notes on the music that was now playing. Seunghyun sat the bowl down on top of Jiyong’s notebook, taking him out of his trance somewhat.

“Did my omma tell you to bring me this?” Jiyong asked while moving it to the side.

“Yeah. It’s getting kind of late, Jiyong. We missed dinner.” Seunghyun said, looking outside at the darkness.

Jiyong kept working like he didn’t hear him. Seunghyun sighed and decided to eat his bowl of rice. He could really use some hot tea but he wasn’t complaining. He was just glad for the break. Jiyong was really intense but in a good way. He kept eating and watching Jiyong rewinding and fast-forwarding the tape to get the beat just right before scribbling things down.

Soon Seunghyun was in a dazed off state that was almost numb. He jumped when he heard a pen being thrown on the desk.

“Out of ink.” Jiyong said frustratedly but with a hint of tiredness.

Seunghyun sat in silence not knowing what to say or do. Does this mean he wants another pen?

Jiyong stretched his arms and stood up. “Let’s get some tea. My throat has been bothering me.” Jiyong told Seunghyun before shuffling out of the room to the kitchen.

Seunghyun eagerly followed. Jiyong filled up the teapot and put it on the stove before jumping up on the kitchen countertop, his legs dangling.

“Come on, sit next to me. I don’t bite.” Jiyong said, patting the spot next to him.

Seunghyun used all his energy in himself to hoist himself onto the counter. He looked over at Jiyong who was smiling at him. Seunghyun scooted himself a few inches away from Jiyong. He needed to avoid the tempting danger zone.

Jiyong pouted. “Why did you do that? You think I’m stupid? I know you are avoiding being close to me.” Jiyong said, scooting back closer.

Seunghyun took in a sharp breath. Jiyong smelled nice, like freshly laundered clothes and soap with a little hint of something that couldn’t be anything other than Jiyong’s body scent. He gulped. Just breathe.

“I don’t think you’re stupid, and I didn’t do that on purpose.” Seunghyun said unconvincingly. He really wasn’t good at lying.

“Right. I must be crazy.” Jiyong muttered. That phrase made Seunghyun jerk up. Crazy? He looked at Jiyong rubbing his temples like he had a headache. He couldn’t possibly…

The teakettle whistled and Jiyong launched himself off the countertop to attend to the urgent sound. Seunghyun sat there dazed for a few minutes before Jiyong appeared before him handing him a cup of an unfamiliar smelling liquid.

Seunghyun sniffed it. “What’s this?” He asked questioningly. It smelled too acidic to be any tea that he has had before.

“Lemon tea. It really helps. That or any herbal tea with honey.” Jiyong said before sipping his.

Seunghyun sipped his tea, the steam fogging up his glasses momentarily. The taste was lightly sweet and a little sour. The liquid felt like music flowing down his throat. He smiled. Jiyong really knew a lot.

“We should probably call it a night on the rapping. We have school tomorrow and my throat could use some rest.” Jiyong said rubbing his throat.

Seunghyun groaned.

“What? You want to keep working?” Jiyong said with a little bit of eagerness.

“No. You mentioned the word you’re not supposed to mention on Sunday. You know, the place we have to go tomorrow?” Seunghyun said trying to hint without saying the word.

“What? School?” Jiyong asked innocently.

“Yes. That word.” Seunghyun said with a grimace.

Jiyong laughed. “Arasso. I won’t mention that word again tonight but we do have to go tomorrow. We were lucky our parents didn’t find out about our ditching on Friday.” Jiyong said.

Seunghyun sighed. “I know. I’m just not that fond of reality.” He grumbled.

Both Jiyong and Seunghyun got ready for bed, knocking elbows as they brushed their teeth which lead to hip checks and a shoving fight to see who could spit first. Half-hour later they lay in the darkness again, neither one seeming close to sleep.

“Hey, Seunghyun.” Jiyong said.

“Yeah?” He answered.

“What got you into rapping?” Jiyong asked.

“Well, my friends when I was younger had me listen to some American music. I was curious, listened, then got hooked. I started rapping and found that it helped me get out my emotions.” Seunghyun said.

“Hmm. That sounds nice. I wish my answer sounded as genuine as yours.” Jiyong replied.

“Yours is real though and you are doing it because music is a part of you. That sounds pretty genuine to me.” Seunghyun said, trying to lift him up.

“I guess. I guess it’s more my motives that I question. Like, do I want to do this to be famous or because I love music?” Jiyong said.

“You really don’t know that? Look at what we did today, just for fun. That doesn’t have anything to do with fame, does it? It’s because we both love music and making it.” Seunghyun answered with confidence.

“I still worry. I don’t want to be like one of those fake idols.” Jiyong said quietly.

“You don’t need to worry. If you want, tomorrow we can go see if Teddy and the other 1TYM hyungs will let us hang out with them and maybe help us a little.” Seunghyun said to the younger.

“Seunghyun?” Jiyong said with something that sounded like he was crying.

“Yeah?” Seunghyun said hesitantly. He didn’t mean to make Jiyong cry. Maybe he wasn’t ready for something that big yet. He did hit Jiyong too hard on Friday with that bet.

“Thank you.” Jiyong said softly.

“You’re welcome, Ji. Now let’s sleep. Someone told me once ‘Tomorrow comes too quickly’, or something like that.” Seunghyun said surprised at the gesture.

Jiyong laughed. “You’re so cheesy. Sleep well, hyung.” Jiyong said sniffling.

“You too, Jiyong-ah.” Seunghyun said, holding his hugging pillow in his arms and the bearbrick in his hand.