Of Sand and Soju

The Pathway to Failure is Filled with Bliss

 

A/N: I am sorry for not updating as frequently as I have in the past. It's just life kind of catches up with you when you procrastinate things to write more. I'll try to update every couple of days from now on. I'm sorry for leaving you all hanging and I hope you enjoy reading this chapter as much as I did writing it.

 

When Seunghyun walked in, Jin Hwan had Baek Kyung in a headlock and Danny had his headphones on again.

“Take it back!” Jin Hwan said.

“Why the hell would I do that?” Baek Kyung said struggling to get free.

Danny looked at them and smiled softly. He looked up at Seunghyun with that same soft smile and Seunghyun just knew, sometimes you have to keep it secret any way you can.

Seunghyun sat down and noticed Jiyong and Teddy weren’t there.

“Hey..um, guys, where did Jiyong and Teddy go?” Seunghyun asked.

“Huh? Oh. They said they were going out for a walk. Something about it being too stuffy in here, which is really weird for Teddy to say. He once told me he’d live in here if he could.” Jin Hwan said, finally freeing his ‘victim’.

Seunghyun knew Jiyong was the same way. He would keep working on his music until he died if it weren’t for him getting tired.

“I’m going to go look for them.” Seunghyun said before leaving the recording studio.

He went to the nook to pull on his hoodie before passing front desk receptionist, who was busy chatting with a friend again, on his way into the cool night air. He looked into businesses and looked at every face he could. Soon enough, 2 blocks away he found them.

They were sitting in a restaurant eating pork rinds. Teddy was drinking soju and Jiyong had a Coke while sneaking occasional shots from Teddy’s bottle. Teddy and Jiyong were talking and laughing about something. He had never seen Jiyong laugh so hard before. His heart twisted in his chest. If only he could make him laugh like that. He had to. He wanted to see him laugh like that everyday forever.

Seunghyun hesitated whether he should walk in on them. He didn’t want Jiyong to stop laughing because of him but he also didn’t want to spend the night being the third wheel in the recording studio with the 2 fighting center members. He decided on the first choice. He took a few deep breaths before walking inside.

A standard greeting was heard from somewhere in the back of the shop. He sat down next to Jiyong and grabbed Teddy’s soju bottle, taking a large swig. He winced at the bitter taste and looked at his tablemates. They were gawking at him.

“Um, you know, that isn’t Coke, Hyung.” Jiyong said hesitantly.

“I know. I just needed something to relax me.” Seunghyun said.

“Yah! You two are going to get me thrown out of this place if you keep drinking my soju.” Teddy said pulling the bottle further away from the two minors.

“Aww. Don’t be like that, hyung.” Jiyong whined pulling the bottle closer. He picked it up and looked at the small amount inside.

“It looks like you need to order another round.” He told Teddy.

Teddy scowled at Jiyong beore sighing. “Ajussi, we need another bottle of soju over here!” He yelled.

Jiyong smirked before taking a sip from his bottle of Coke. He seemed to have loosened up from when he saw him last. Guess that was the alcohol working. He really didn’t eat that much today. Jiyong offered him the bottle of Coke and he gladly took it from him, taking a swig. He was looking for courage, not the ability to pass out.

“Damn! If you want more, buy your own bottle, hyung.” Jiyong complained looking at his half empty bottle.

He frowned. Jiyong knew he didn’t have any money. He spent every won he had on that pack of batteries for him. Maybe if Jiyong drank more then he could sneak a sip of his Coke. For now though he poked at the skin crackling on the grill in front of them.

Time passed in relative comfort. There was a little small talk but Teddy got quieter as he drank while Jiyong became more open and friendly. Jiyong hadn’t even had that much that Seunghyun had seen but maybe he missed something.

“Seunghyun, I’m so glad we met.” Jiyong slurred, putting his arm around Seunghyun’s shoulders.

Seunghyun closed his eyes and pulled the arm off of him. He needed to relax but he couldn’t, not when Jiyong kept touching him.

“Me too, Jiyong-ah.” Seunghyun said with a small smile, looking at the wood table.

Soon, Jiyong leaned his head onto Seunghyun’s shoulder looking up at the ceiling with a goofy smile on his face.

“That’s it. I’m getting you two out of here. I don’t want to be arrested or anything. Seunghyun, I’ll tell everyone to pick up after themselves tonight and I’ll take out the trash. Just make sure he doesn’t come in the building. I don’t want to get in trouble from YG or the guys over this.” Teddy said, getting up from the table.

“Arasso. Can you bring out our stuff though?” Seunghyun said in agreement.

“Yah! I can still clean with my hyung. Right, Seunghyun?” Jiyong said putting his arm around his neck again.

Seunghyun’s ears burned hard. He removed the arm again to have Jiyong scowl at the loss of contact. Seunghyun gave a forced smile to Teddy who got the message. He got up to go pay the tab while Seunghyun tried to get and keep Jiyong off of him outside the restaurant doors.

“Seunghyun, why can’t I touch you? Aren’t we close?” Jiyong asked with a pout.

“Y-yeah we are. I just know you aren’t thinking clearly.” Seunghyun said, trying to keep his mind in control over his frantic heart.

“Alright, I got the tab taken care of. Now, Jiyong, will you walk with me and talk about your song on the way to the building?” Teddy asked, obviously feeling some pity for Seunghyun.

“Good idea.” Jiyong said, draping his arm around Teddy’s neck as they walked down the sidewalk with Seunghyun behind them.

Seunghyun was grateful for the space. He wasn’t exactly sober earlier but he could control himself. He was just afraid of losing himself when it came to Jiyong. It was hard to control himself around him without alcohol, let alone after drinking a long swig of soju.

When they arrived at YG building Teddy freed himself from Jiyong’s arm and swiftly slipped inside. Seunghyun walked up to Jiyong who was scowling at the door.

“I was in the middle of a sentence. You think he would be polite enough to let me finish first.” Jiyong said before sticking out his tongue at the building and starting to pull open the door.

Seunghyun stepped forward and pulled Jiyong backward. This kid really needed to eat. He was so light in his arms. At that point he realized he was holding him and felt his face heat up.

“Yah! What are you doing, Seunghyun?” Jiyong protested, kicking his legs against Seunghyun.

Before Seunghyun dropped Jiyong and explained, Teddy appeared. He threw their bags out with a casual salute sent to Seunghyun before disappearing out of their view.

“What’s this?” Jiyong asked, gesturing to their bags.

“Teddy said he would take over our work tonight because he didn’t want to get caught by the guys for not going out without them to drink and eat junk.” Seunghyun explained.

Jiyong sighed. “I guess that makes sense.” He said while reaching down to get his bag and lunch box.

Seunghyun picked up his own things when he felt a pair of arms reach around him from behind.

“You’re so comfortable, Seunghyun. Did you know that? I thought about that the first time I saw you, that guy looks really comfy.” Jiyong said into the back of his neck.

Seunghyun was losing his ability to keep himself cool. This is way too much. Seunghyun shoved Jiyong off of him and went inside to ask Teddy for a favor.

He poked his head into the studio. “Teddy? Can I ask you for something?” Seunghyun asked, out of breath and obviously flustered.

“Yeah. What’s up?” He said swiftly getting up from his chair to walk into the hall.

“I need something to help Jiyong sober up. Do you have anything to take with us?” Seunghyun asked him with desperation.

Teddy looked outside at Jiyong pouting and scowling while sitting on the sidewalk.

“I would suggest coffee but we don’t have any paper cups here for that. Here. I’ll give you some money for it. Just hurry and get him away from here before anyone asks more questions.” Teddy said opening his wallet and handing him a 10000 won bill.

“Okay. Got it.” Seunghyun said with a smile of thanks before hurrying out the door.

“Hey, Jiyong. I’m sorry I left like that. I just needed to ask Teddy for something.” Seunghyun apologized.

“Money? You asked him for money?” Jiyong asked gesturing at the bill in Seunghyun’s hand.

Jiyong seemed to be sobering up faster than he thought. He furrowed his brow, looking at the bill. Maybe he should give it back to Teddy.

“Yeah. You seem to be sobering up.” Seunghyun said.

Jiyong then smiled and fell on Seunghyun. “I don’t know about that but I feel soooo good, Seunghyunnie.” Jiyong said into his shoulder.

Seunghyunnie? This was confusing. Was Jiyong okay or not? Maybe they better get some coffee just in case. He can’t go back to Jiyong’s house with him like this. He pulled Jiyong off of him again.

“Let’s go get some coffee.” Seunghyun said, stepping forward when Jiyong leaned forward to grab onto him.

They walked up to some coffee chain and Seunghyun ordered 2 large coffees for them to-go. He had to keep Jiyong moving. He didn’t know if it would make him less tipsy but it seemed like a good idea.

“Let’s go to a park.” Seunghyun said to Jiyong who was starting to grumble about all the walking. He seemed better than he was but he could tell there was still a hint of alcohol in him.

They walked a few blocks before they found a park. It had a bridge and 3 slides. There were monkey bars and several swings. Jiyong saw it and got really excited. He quickly took off his shoes and socks and ran through the sand to go across the bridge and down the slide.

Seunghyun smiled at the beaming boy who was sitting at the bottom of the slide mounding sand on his feet only to wiggle his toes and make it all fall off. He took off his shoes and went to sit next to him only to see Jiyong stumble over to the swings. He quickly walked over to the swings before Jiyong ran away again.

Seunghyun watched as Jiyong pumped his legs making him go higher and higher.

“Hey, hyung?” Jiyong asked.

“Yeah, Jiyong?” Seunghyun asked the soaring boy.

“Have you ever felt held back? Like there are things you really want to do but certain people or customs hold you back?” Jiyong asked while looking up at the stars.

“Kind of.” Seunghyun said, shoving the sand with his toes. He really didn’t want to talk about his feelings about society not liking his idea of liking Jiyong.

“I feel it all the time. It’s so suffocating. I just want to push all the limits. Want to scream ‘ you!’ to the whole world just because people have said not to do it.” Jiyong said smiling.

Seunghyun smiled. “Then let’s do it on three. Hanna…toul…set!” Seunghyun said.

“ YOU!” They both screamed into the night with all the strength they had.

Afterwards, they both laughed.

“Feel any better?” Seunghyun asked.

“A bit.” Jiyong said, starting to slow down with his feet grazing the sand.

Jiyong slowed to a stop and looked down at his feet. He bit his lip and looked worried.

“100 won for your thoughts? And this time I have one so don’t try to avoid it.” Seunghyun asked.

“Seunghyun, have you ever kissed anyone?” Jiyong asked, eyes still glued to the sand.

Seunghyun’s heart started to race. “Yeah. I kissed one of my friends in kindergarten in front of my omma. I was really edgy back then.” He joked.

Jiyong laughed softly. “Not like that. I mean like really kissed someone.” Jiyong explained.

“I’ll only answer that question if you’ll honestly answer a question for me.” Seunghyun said, wiping his hands on his pants, trying to change the topic for even a minute.

“I guess that’s fair.” Jiyong said.

“Why were you crying in class today?” Seunghyun asked with concern.

Jiyong turned his face away from Seunghyun before he answered. “When everyone was laughing at you and you were getting hit…every time you yelled I could feel the pain radiating from your voice. It made me feel hurt too.” Jiyong said muffled like he was crying.

“Jiyong…it’s okay. I’m okay. See? I could walk all over the streets with you tonight without complaining.” Seunghyun said embarrassed.

“Ani. Not like that. I mean, your emotional pain. It was in your voice and when you walked to your seat and when I saw the tears on your face…it made me cry.” Jiyong said softly.

“Ji…” Seunghyun said quietly. He didn’t know what to say. He couldn’t lie to Jiyong when he was so hurt but he couldn’t tell him the truth.

“Anyways, now you have to answer my question.” Jiyong said sniffling and wiping away at his tears.

Seunghyun suddenly got really nervous. That didn’t seem like long enough. He needed more time. Should he lie? It was rather embarrassing. He eventually decided on just laying it all out.

“Well, you’ve seen how my classmates think of me. I’m a shy, chubby, daydreaming, dork who plays with toys and no one talks to. Do you think anyone has kissed me?” Seunghyun said quietly.

“That’s boys, and I don’t think of you that way. I’m talking about girls. And don’t think I didn’t notice you trying to avoid the question.” Jiyong said.

“Well…not really.” Seunghyun said ashamed.

“Really?” Jiyong said, a little shocked.

Seunghyun nodded. “How about you?” He asked quietly. Now he’s going to talk all about some girl that he has been dreaming about and how he walks her to class. He would take her to the movies and afterwards she would kiss him softly. He could feel his heart breaking so roughly that he wanted to throw up.

“Only once. There was a girl I liked last year. We stayed close even though we started going to separate schools for middle school. One day, about a month ago, after school she asked to take a detour and walk along the Han River, something about watching the boats. We were holding hands as we walked because she said her hands were cold. Then she stepped in front of me as we walked and kissed me. It felt nice, I guess. I just thought it would be magical or something. Anyways, after that things felt really awkward with her because she felt something I didn’t. I wish I didn’t have to hurt her. I guess I could have stayed with her but it didn’t feel right anymore.” Jiyong said before sending a sigh to the skies.

Seunghyun wished he could say something to help him but he had never been in that kind of situation, or for that matter, none of his friends had either. He just bit his lips and continued to stare at the sand. He started to move forward and back slowly, hoping to erase the feeling of awkwardness.

Jiyong got off of his swing and stood in front of Seunghyun. Seunghyun’s heart beat rapidly at the look on Jiyong’s face. He looked nervous but softly determined.

“Seunghyun?’ He asked in a soft tone.

“Y-yes?” Seunghyun stuttered. His legs had stopped moving and Jiyong was now standing really close to him. His hands were leaving wet trails on the chains of the swing, his heart raced so hard that it might pop out of his chest.

“If anyone asks you about your first kiss, just tell them my story.” Jiyong said before leaning down to place his lips against Seunghyun’s.

Seunghyun’s eyes bulged. This was a dream. It had to be a dream. Sometime soon he would wake up and see that he was in class or Jiyong’s room. Funny thing is, he didn’t.

Jiyong pressed himself against Seunghyun’s lips and Seunghyun pressed his lips forward, accidentially taking Jiyong’s upper lip between his own. Jiyong released him quickly and they both turned red.  Seunghyun was a little confused for a second before he realized what he had done.

Jiyong plopped onto the cool sand, pulling his knees to his face. They both sat there shocked. Seunghyun didn’t know if Jiyong was feeling the same way, but he knew he felt something amazing like his heart bursting into fireworks.