THE DECISION

My Promise

 

“That’s what I was thinking. And I know he’s been stressed out about his investors backing out on the contract and now he’s afraid of losing his last investor.”

“And that investor wants a consequence on signing the contract? He wants you to meet his daughter and eventually marry her, right?”

“Yes but what will I do? If I consider what dad wants, I would be cheating on Dara and I don’t want that. But if I don’t accept what they want, they’ll back out too and we’re not sure what will happen to dad. I lost mom already and even though I hate dad so much, he’s still my family.”

“So what now? You’ll accept what they want you to do? Are you willing to leave Dara for the sake of your father’s health or rather life and your company, too? Or are you willing to leave your father and your company for love? You have to choose carefully, Jiyong.”

“I can’t choose. If I choose my family, I’ll lose Dara. If I choose Dara, I’ll lose my family.”

“What does your heart tells you?”

“I don’t know.”

“You have to listen to it. What is your family to you?”

“For me, they’re the reason why I’m here, they’re the reason why I lived a better life.”

“How about Dara?”

“Dara’s my…she’s my INSPIRATION. She’s my HEART. She’s my LIFE.”

“Who’s more important?”

“My…but I don’t want Dara to be hurt.”

“Does that mean you chose your family?”

“They gave me this life.”

“But I thought Dara’s your life?”

“She IS my life but my parents GAVE me this life.”

“You had made your decision, Jiyong? When are you going to tell your father?”

“When he’s awake.”

“When are you going to tell Dara?”

“When it’s the right time.”

“When do you think is the right time, Jiyong?”

“I have to figure it out myself.”                  

“Don’t forget, Jiyong. You already made your decision. You have to stand for it.”

“Bro, promise me something.”

“What?”

“Protect Dara for me.”

“You promised her that you would protect her, why make me do it?”

“Youngbae, I know she’s important to all of you and I know that you won’t let anything happen to her.”

“I don’t know, Jiyong. Just…don’t make things tough for her. And if she already knew, don’t make her meet the girl, because I know that Dara can’t take that.”

“Take her away from me if she cries, too.”

“Wait! Does that mean…you’re going to…break up with her? You’re going to end your relationship?”

“If it’s the right thing to do.”

“When?”

“Maybe tomorrow.”

“What? Bro, the exams on Friday! It’s Tuesday tomorrow, right? You’re going to give her a problem if you do that. Did you know that they’ll be send to States if ever they’ll get low grades this semester? Maybe not, but don’t do that to her.”

“So I’m going to wait ‘till the exams over? Can dad wait, huh? I don’t think so,” Jiyong rolled his eyes and sipped some of his beer.

“Then you’re going to continue your plan tomorrow?” Youngbae asked helplessly.

“Yes…for the sake of my family. And for this stupid deal to be done with,” he crumpled the can of beer like it was just paper.

“Then I better pray that Dara’s prepared for that.”

Jiyong’s phone suddenly rang. He picked it up and answered immediately.

Jiyong: Uncle, is he awake?

Jiyong’s Uncle: Yes, he is.

Jiyong: Arasso! I’ll be there.

“Your uncle? Is your dad awake?” Youngbae asked.

“He is. And I’m going to tell him now. I’ll be going.”

==++==

JIYONG’S POV:

“Dad! I accept it! I’ll go and meet the daughter of your investor!”

I announced it loudly in order for all of them to hear it clearly. I know that choosing this decision will lead me to broken promises but it’s the only way.

“You…do? Really…Jiyong?” he asked but really slowly.

“Neh!”

“Then…please…tell…him now.”

“How?”

“Call…him.”

I reached for his phone and handed it to him. He dialed someone and gave me the phone when it started ringing on the other side.

Man: Yeoboseyo? Mr. Kwon? What is it?

Me: It’s me, Kwon Jiyong. And I accept your consequence. When will I meet her?

Man: Good boy, Kwon Jiyong. You’re like your father. Very well, tomorrow after your class at Gourmet Front, I expect you to come, Mr. Jiyong.

Me: You have my word.

He hung up. I placed dad’s phone back to the table and glanced up to my father. He’s smiling at me.

“I’m really…proud of…you…Ji…Jiyong.”

“It’s just because I still care for you. I need to go home. I still have classes tomorrow.”

I got up and mad my way out, my uncle followed me outside.

“What about Dara? What about your relationship with her?”

I froze from where I was standing. It took me a while to answer his question. What have I done? I just turned my back on Dara. But I have decided and I told them I won’t regret it.

I calmed down. “I’ll end it tomorrow.”

I continued walking and didn’t bother looking back.

==++==

“Dara! Let’s talk!”

I ran to Dara who’s making her way to the library. I went to many places looking for her but she was just going to the library.

I nervously went to her. “Let’s talk.”

She looked at me. “I still have to study, Jiyong. Can we talk later?”

“I think this cannot wait anymore.”

“That important?” she frowned.

“Yes! Let’s talk at the library so you could study after.”

“Arasso!” she smiled brightly and went to the library ahead of me.

I think that’s the last time I’ll see her smile because of me. I sighed and followed Dara. Every step towards the library feels heavier and heavier. She waved her hand and stuck her tongue out to me. I smile a little for her cuteness. I’m so going to miss that. Why is this happening to me? First, I lost mom, my only family who could understand me. And now, I’ll lose Dara, the girl I loved, love and will love. I can’t take this. Did I do something wrong for me to deserve this? I wish I had a clue.