LIBRARY OF PROMISES

My Promise

 

“Why are we here? I’m not comfortable studying here,” I said as I looked from left to right to see if there are students watching us. Luckily, there are only few students in the library and the school librarian is out.

“You’ll be comfortable here,” he said as he took all his books from his bag.

“Ji, I’m going to ask you a question,” I too took my books but wasn’t able to open it.

“What is it?” he glanced up at me.

“Is is okay?”

“That’s your question? Is it okay?”

“Of course not!”

He chuckled. “Then what is?”

“Why are you saying sorry to me earlier?”

“I don’t want to talk about that now.”

“Please tell me.”

“I can’t, it hurts to remember.”

“Are you hiding anything from me, Jiyong?”

“No, I won’t do that.”

“Then why aren’t you answering my question? Don’t tell me that you said sorry for no reason.”

He sighed.  “I said sorry because I think I’ll do something that could make you hate me, which could make you leave me, which could make you cry because of pain.”

“Is that the reason? You’ll do something that could make me feel that?” I said to him almost as a whisper.

“I don’t know, I just think.”

“Why are you thinking of that?”

“I’m just thinking of the possibilities.”

“Is there any?”

“Any what?”

“Is there any possibilities that you are going to do such things that could hurt me?”

“I told you. I don’t know,” he stopped to look at me and hold my hand. “But if there is, I want you to be strong, to hold tight, to learn to stand for yourself but I also want you to…to…stand with me when you think you can’t make it anymore, promise?”

“Okay, but what about me? Will you be there to be my strength? Will you be there to catch me when I feel like I’m going to fall? Will you be there to wipe away my tears? Will you promise me that you’ll be there for me when I need you?” I said as tears started to fall from my eyes.

“Yes, I will be there for you…always,” he said as his eyes flickered on our ring. “And this ring will prove everything. This will serve as the witness that as long as we are wearing this ring, we will love each other and we will never give up on any trials being thrown at us, understand?”

I nodded then continued to cry as Jiyong got up and sat beside me.

==++==

AUTHOR’S POV:

Dara went home late that night she had dinner with Jiyong after they study. Bom was already waiting for her outside their house.

“Where are mom and dad?” Dara asked.

“They’re not here. They said they will attend a board meeting and a business trip so they’ll be back by next week. Where have you been?” she got up and hugged me.

“I had dinner with Jiyong.”

“Okay, by the way, how was your study?”

“It didn’t go well, I cried all hour.”

“Waeyo? What happened?”

“Jiyong…he started making promises and he told me about a possibility he has been thinking that he can hurt me and make me cry. He’s acting weird and so does the other boys.”

“Yeah, I noticed that. Too bad, CL and Minzy aren’t here to sk them.”

“Where are they?”

“CL will be absent for a month, she will attend her sister’s wedding in Japan.”

“And Minzy?”

“She’ll be gone for 2 months I guess. Her parents will have a convention at New York and they will bring her along, you know Minzy, she’s an only chil and her parents can’t take it when she’s left alone.”

“Yeah, I remember. Oh, I wish they’re here especially CL, because she’s the only one who can convince the boys if they know anything about Jiyong’s problem.”

“Don’t worry too much. The exam’s on Friday. You have to focus on our studies first. Let’s go inside, it’s cold here.”

==++==

“Appa! Appa! Uncle, what happened?”

Jiyong was running towards the emergency room. His uncle called and informed him about his father being sent to the hospital again.

“He had a heart attack, again,” his uncle asked.

“Sir, no one is allowed to enter,” the nurse stopped them from entering the ER.

“This is my entire fault. I caused him too many troubles.”

“No, don’t blame yourself.”

Few minutes later, the doctor attending Jiyong’s father came out.

Jiyong ran to him. “How is he?”

“Youyr father’s weak, son. You better be careful not to give him too many things to worry. He’s already aging and he needs to take good care of his health. You’re lucky your father survived this.”

“Can we see him?” his uncle asked.

“Not yet. He’s still in the ER. The other nurses will send him to his private room later. I’ll leave you first.

I took my phone and dialed Youngbae’s number as soon as the doctor left.

Youngbae: Hey, it’s late. What’s up?

Jiyong: Where are you?

YB: At the house. Waeyo?

JY: I’m going there. Wait for me.

YB: Is there any problem?

JY: I’ll tell you later.

Jiyong hung up and went to his uncle.

“I’ll be going to Youngbae’s house. Please call me if dad’s awake.”

“Sure Jiyong.”

==++==

“Hey, what happened?”

Youngbae greeted Jiyong when he arrived at his house.

“Are your parents home?”

“No, they went to a party. Come in,” Youngbae opened the door and led Jiyong inside.

He offered Jiyong some beer and Jiyong accepted it.

“mind telling me your problem?” Youngbae aske.

“Dad’s at the hospital, he had heart attack again. The doctor said he’s lucky he survived and we have to make sure he’s not worrying about things too much.”

“Your dad has a lot to worry, Jiyong. I mean, he’s running a company.”