Chapter 9

Not Just Medicine

 

 Panchali’s POV                                                                                                                                                                                       

“No way!” I yelled and then hissed “You did all this!”

“Why yes! I had to meet you! So when I knew you were going to an island I bought tickets right next to you and I’ll be going with you. And I’ll be there all through your trip.” He said and grinned.

I wanted to thrash his , sling him, tie him with a cloth, punch his face with my foot, throw him out of the plane, stomp on him, run him over with a car and then finally dunk him into the ocean like a doughnut and feed him to an alligator after being eaten by piranhas. But I knew even all this wouldn’t erase that annoying smile off his face so I just sneered and grudgingly sat down.

This was him. SBC’s CEO’s son- Shin Kyungsan or as he called himself ‘Shinkyu’. More like ‘Shin Clingy’. The idiot idiot idiot idiot of a guy my parents wanted me married to. Why did I hate him so much? Because he thought he could woo me by showing me his pretty face and his riches. And it was all his parents’ money at that.

 I was fuming.

He took a small toffee and said “This is expensive chocolate made in France! Try it!” and tried to feed it to me as if we were actually getting married.

I tuned my mouth away and muttered “No thanks.”

The only reason I stood this guy was because my grandmother knew his and I could never bear to embarrass Grammy.

I crossed my arms over my chest and stared off at some random point.

Then I realized I still had the window seat.

 “YAH. That’s mine!” I said and he smiled again and let me take that seat. My mistake.

All through the damn plane ride he was craning his neck past me and looking at out of the window. If I shrunk away from him he would just come closer.

There was a point of time when I was almost cowering down and he was practically leaning on me and that’s when I yelled “STOPPIT!” making Chanyeol and Kai turn in surprise.

Kyungsan gave them a dazzling smile and put an arm around me. I immediately shoved it off.

“You must be the fellow interns of my Panchali.” He said to them.

It wasn’t the air sickness, but the fact that he called me ‘his Panchali’ that made me grab a sickness bag and almost vomit.

I somehow controlled myself and turned to give one of the iciest glares of all time.

But Mr. Ignorant Clingy Kyungsan failed to notice.

He put an arm around me and pulled me towards him as I caught Kai’s eyes and mouthed ‘HALP!’

Seeing the desperation on my face and the level of the discomfort I seemed to be experiencing I was thankful for the help he provided but it would have been highly appreciated if he has used other means.

I almost felt like I shouldn’t have asked him because the next moment he bent down, cupped my face in his hands and kissed me lightly on the cheek.

His face was centimeters from mine as he said “Babe… Come sit next to me okay? I miss you.” in one of the iest voices ever.

I blushed crimson and gulped trying to drown out the scream currently stuck in my throat.

I could see Kyungsan’s eyes widen.

“Yeah sure.” I squeaked

He turned to Kyungsan next, still holding my face gently.

“I don’t like other guys disturbing MY Panchali you see.”

Saying that Kai flexed his (I can NOT believe I didn’t notice them before) strong muscles and Kyungsan gulped now and tugged at the collar of his shirt.

I almost laughed.

Next thing I knew I was sitting next to Kai.

Chanyeol was sitting with Kyungsan who had been made to sit on the window side.

At the moment Chanyeol was telling Kyungsan about how Kai was a black belt in taekwondo and judo and how he had defeated ten people at once.

I turned to Kai and said “Er thanks. A lot.”

I had thankfully been allowed the window seat so that Kyungsan could in no way communicate with me without either passing Kai or bumping his head.

He smirked and said “For the kiss or the help?”

I blushed and my eyes widened.

“The-the help!”

Kai seemed to look disappointed and then suddenly he leaned in really close and the back of my head hit the window.

“Was the kiss not good enough? Should I try again?”

“W-What!” I was going to say but Kai winked at me and motioned with his eyes towards the side where Kyungsan was watching.

I didn’t know what to say. Yes or no?

Kai sensed the confusion in my eyes and gave me a reassuring nod.

‘Say no.’ he mouthed.

“N-no…?”

He backed away and said “Then you’re giving me a present at night is it? No problem!”

I blushed a darker shade of red.

                                                               ~~~

Our ferry was docking on the island and I dragged my bags off the boat.

I saw Kyungsan come towards me from the other end of the boat and then I felt a hand on my shoulder.

It was Kai.

He had his hand loosely draped over me as he held his bag with the other. Wearing a metallic jacket and sneakers, he looked every bit like what Chanyeol had described him as in the plane.

Kyungsan stopped where he was standing and looked away again. I could tell he was muttering curses at Kai.

This had been happening the whole way.

Whenever Kyungsan approached Kai would turn up. I was very thankful to him to be honest. It was kind of fun actually.

I had thanked Kai repeatedly the first few times before he had lightly smacked my head and said that if I thanked him again, he wouldn’t even help.

And he kept saying he’d avail of it someday.

I wonder how.

Anyway.

“Okay people! We have to give vaccines to everyone and see if there are any illnesses they may have. Lots of work has to be done so lets move it folks!” Dr. Komal said.

Dr. Diksha was busy talking on the phone “And remember to put Minah to sleep and tuck her in and kiss her. And read out a book to her okay Donghae? And you eat well. And take care. And don’t get too stressed. I’ll be back before you know it. Aww, babe I miss you too. Yes my darling Haematologist! I love you too! Bye!”

“You miss them a lot?” I asked trudging along next to her.

She sighed and said “Yep. I already do. I wonder how I’ll survive the week. Oh well I have you for company!”

Both of us grinned at each other when we saw a woman approach.

She was coming towards us to say something when she suddenly collapsed at my feet.

I gasped and quickly kneeled.

 “Patient here!” Diksha yelled.

I checked her vitals. Her heartbeat was very low. There was a large gash in her back and it was bleeding profusely.

“Differential diagnosis Dr. Panchali?” Dr. Komal asked hurriedly checking her blood pressure.

“She could have sclerosis.” I touched her head next “And subdural hematoma.” I added.

She opened her eyes a slit and said something which I couldn’t make out slowly. It was a different language.

“What did she say?” I asked the translator.

He looked at me and said “Please save my baby.”

“She’s pregnant?!” everyone gasped.

“Yes. And the baby is dead.” Diksha declared, looking pityingly at the woman.

Lovely. First case is severely injured only.

“How did this happen?!” I asked and the translator said “There are two tribes on this island. The other one is kind of wild.”

Little did I know just then, that I would be doing much more than just meeting them the next day.


I hope you liked it! ^-^