Chapter 23

Not Just Medicine

 

Panchali’s POV

We burst into Dr. Hyukjae’s room all out of breath to find him looking at a few CT scans.

“Yes Dr Hyukjae. We’re all here.” Luhan said, stepping in.

We glanced around the room and Suho asked “Sir where is the patient?”

“I’m here!” perked up a small, high pitched voice and we turned behind to see a small boy standing in front of us.

He shuffled into the room slowly and sat on the bed and folded his hands neatly in his lap.

His parents walked behind him and sat beside him.

I was shocked for a moment. He looked so young. Such a deadly brain tumor on this boy? He had his whole life ahead of him.

Hell he hadn’t even hit puberty!

“So can anyone explain what PXA is?” Dr. Hyukjae, asked, leaning against his desk.

“PXA or pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma,” Luhan began, “is a rare slowly growing tumour of children and young adults. It can present with unusual, sensory manifestations without any motor symptoms. Classical neuroimaging and histopathological characteristics are useful aids in diagnosis. Treatment with complete surgical excision, if carried out early, usually provides gratifying results. A close follow-up is nevertheless needed, as both recurrence and anaplastic transformation has been reported.”

“Very good Dr. Luhan.” Dr. Hyukjae nodded at him and then turned to the boy, “Here we have Osei Azizi, 13, a class 7th student. He has been suffering from mild epilepsy and two years ago he was prescribed tegretol tablets. This was in his home country Africa. A few months later they shifted to Seoul and a year later while swimming he had a hemorrhage and was rushed to the hospital. After a lot of consultations with other doctors finally they have agreed to have an open biopsy so we can see what is going on.”

The young boy looked around sheepishly not understanding the entire situation too well.

“Why an open biopsy sir?” Chanyeol asked.

I pointed at a CT before Dr. Hyukjae answered and murmered, “The tumor has wrapped itself around a main nerve thus making it inoperable.”

“Exactly.” Dr. Hyukjae said and chewed on his lower lip.

“Okay,” he said in a low voice, taking us outside, “This is a very dangerous case. Chances of survival are not too great. I don’t need anyone in there who doesn’t need to be there. Only people in intensive care and neurology should go in. The rest of you can watch.”

“That would be me and Panchali sir.” Chanyeol said, nodding furiously.

Suho and Luhan seemed to be disappointed but Dr. Hyukjae just nodded and said, “All right get ready.”

I took a deep breath and turned around but Dr. Hyukjae said “Be careful. There can be no mistakes in there.”

We all nodded briefly and walked away. I wish we’d paid more attention.

Kai’s POV

I flipped through the pages of the magazine my dongsaeng, Jaerin had given me. She had been the one most scared. Omma had told me she’d been frozen all through the way. Appa looked so shrunken. Omma’s eyes were so red.

I sighed. My stupidity had caused so many people so much trouble.

My mind instantly went to one person. Panchali.

She had been the one I’d troubled the most.

Was she all right? I really wanted to get up and find her. God knows what all her father had said to her.

I closed my eyes in frustration. Feeling helpless was new to me. Being confined to one room was new to me. 

All of a sudden a strange noise rung out in the room.

A phone was ringing. It was tangled up between the towels.

I reached forward to pick it up and noticed it was Panchali’s.

The girl had the strangest ringtones. I chuckled slightly as the sound of “BRIIIIING BADABLOOOH BLEEEEEEEH.” Filled the room.

I laughed and noticed that it said ‘ClingySan’

That must be Kyungsan.

Without thinking I picked up the phone and glued it to my ear.

“Yes Kyungsan?” I asked.

“K-K-Kai?!” he stuttered.

“Yeah.”

“Where’s Panchali?”

“Oh she’s taking a shower.” I smirked.

“Sh-shower?!” he gasped.

“Yep. I’m in her bed. Should I call her?”

“NO!” he called out and hung up before I could say anything.

Weird boy.

Hmm… Lets browse through her phone. Her fault for leaving it lying around.

The wallpaper made me instantly facepalm. It was a picture of Dr. Hyukjae.

I sighed. This girl…

Pressing on the messages folder once, a flurry of messages flashed before my eyes.

A lot were to herself. Random notes I think. I laughed. What an idiot.

Shuffling through the messages all of a sudden my vision started going black. What the heck? Why was my head and chest pounding so badly?

I shook my head to clear my sight only to find my head lol and fall back.

“PATIENT #34587 IS IN V-FIB! Very high heart rate!” was the last thing I heard before I fell down on the bed.

Chanyeol’s POV

I slowly donned the gloves and put on the head mask, taking a deep breath.

My palms were resting on the slab in front of me as I rocked myself slowly. For some strange reason I was very nervous. I knew I’d have to work very hard for this surgery. No mistakes right.

Breathing out once again, I looked up through the mirror where the child lay on the table, the anesthesiologists were hovering over him, making sure everything was all right.

“Chanyeol?” Panchali burst into the room and glanced at me, “They need you in there.”

I nodded and flexed my shoulders entering the surgery that would forever change my life. 


I know its short but theres a lot happening in the next chapter and I didn't want to mix it all up. Also, I'm sorry for not updating but I just had so much schoolwork. I will update regularly now. Gomawo. *bows*