Chapter 22

Not Just Medicine

 

Panchali’s POV

“Dad!” I hissed, trying not to create a scene as he dragged me very violently.

He didn’t even turn.

“I’m at work! Where are you taking me!” I hissed again and this time he just said, “Shut up.”

Obviously I wouldn’t. “Listen I am an adult and you have no right to do this! Get your hands off me right now!” I somehow wrenched my wrist out of his grasp, jerking it violently, making him spin around to face me.

I thought his eyes would soften. I thought I would see some emotion. Maybe I could at least draw anger from him but all I saw in his eyes was stone. They were cold and unfeeling.

His face was set in a line, like he couldn’t be bothered less about me.

“Panchali!” I heard Chanyeol’s voice behind me and instantly cursed.

He bounded over and put one hand on my shoulder and then noticed who was in front of me.

“HYUNSEUNG SIR! I’m a huge fan! I couldn’t meet you last time! Hello!” he said, vigorously shaking my father’s hand.

To my surprise my father’s face broke into a pleasant smile and his eyes softened as he said in a kind and gentle voice “That’s very nice. I wish I had met you before. Forgive me.”

Chanyeol smiled brightly and clasped his hand as I looked at them shaking their hands.

My father warmly placed a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

I felt something turn inside me.

I had nothing but contempt for him.

Turning my head away, I gritted my teeth, trying to remain impassive as a storm of emotions churned up inside me.

It was only when Chanyeol left and my father turned back to me, with the same old coldness that I came back to my senses.

“I have a patient to check on.” I said and turned back to go to Kai’s room.

“Stop.” He said but I just kept walking down the corridor.

I could hear steps behind me but I didn’t turn and nor did I say anything to him.

My door had just barely touched the doorknob, when someone grabbed my wrist and jerked me backwards so hard, that I fell on the floor with an audible yelp.

I rubbed my and tried to get up but I froze upon hearing my father’s booming voice “Who do you think you are? I brought you into this world and I can destroy you too. I’ve let you play doctor doctor enough. Gosh I never should’ve let your mother’s mother stay in my house. That woman-“

“Don’t you dare!” I got up, closing in on him, “You have no right to say anything about the woman who raised me.”

“Is this how you talk to your father?!” He roared and raised his hand and slapped me across the face.

I didn’t think he’d do it really. For all he was he never slapped me. Well not publicly at least.

It shook me but I was frozen. My cheek turned numb and it stung lightly. I could feel something warm trickle down and the faint smell of iron greeted my nostrils.

I didn’t know how to react and he carried on, squeezing my shoulder and shaking me very violently.

“Listen here girl. You are getting married to Kyungsan and that is the end of it. For once do something that benefits the family’s name. All you’ve managed to do is ground it in dirt.”

Saying this he turned and stormed off.

I stood in the doorway, clutching my shoulder. It hurt so bad and it was throbbing.

Hearing some laughter from inside the room I slowly turned to see Kai with his family.

How could I go in like this?

So I just stood there, watching them silently, wondering why I couldn’t have a family like that.

It was only when I felt a hand on my other shoulder that I turned slowly to see Suho standing in front of me.

“Hey…” he said softly as I looked up at him, tears pooling in my eyes. I controlled myself and stopped them from falling.

Without saying anything he embraced me and ran a comforting hand up and down my back.

I could no longer control the dam of tears and they burst as I sobbed silently into his lab coat.

For a few minutes we just stood there in the dank hallway. Thankfully, no one seemed to be passing.

“Did you hear everything?” I asked finally.

I felt him nod and I backed away a little and noticed that the blood from my cheek had rubbed off on his lab coat.

“I’m sorry…” I murmured and backed away but he just smiled kindly and took a band aid out of his pocket.

He raised my chin slightly and my eyes met his. For a moment, I was dazzled.

I hadn’t noticed it before but his face was perfectly carved. It was almost like a masterpiece of Michelangelo or Leonardo Da Vinci.

He cupped my face lightly and I looked away as he peeled the band aid and lightly put it on my cheek.

“There.” He said patting it once, “Do take it off later though. It’ll heal faster.”

I just nodded and stood there stupidly finally saying “Thanks…”

“No need.” He said and smiled when Luhan came bustling down the corridor and said,

“Guys quick. There is a patient here with pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma WHO grade 2.”

I rushed down the corridor with Suho following close behind.

“Pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma?” he asked.

“PXA for short.” I said and realization dawned on him.

“Its one of the rarest tumors in the history of medical science!” he exclaimed and I nodded.


Don't kill me! I know its very short but it was a teaser chapter for what Suho said above^

*muah* *waves happily*

Oh also I have no clue when I'll update next since I'm FINALLY going to school tomorrow after weeks and I have tonne of work to catch up on, not to mention tests and formative assessments (don't ask)

Forgive me *bows*

AND DON'T YOU DARE GOOGLE THE TUMOR OR I'LL KILL YOU! I'll explain it properly I promise. Please don't search for it.