Chapter 20

Not Just Medicine

 

Kai’s POV

“I’m alive…” I rasped and a joyous smile spread across each of their faces.

Chanyeol burst in first and leapt to hug me but then noticed all the tubes coming out of my body and stopped.

He just stood by my side, put his hand on my shoulder and said “I’m glad.”

Suho came by my other side and patted my other shoulder. He just smiled warmly and said “We missed you. And also I've informed your family. They'll be here in the evening.”

Luhan stood by the foot of the bed, smiling brightly.

He really had a very good smile. He should smile more often. His smile could make people feel at ease. I felt at ease.

I smiled at each one but my eyes searched for someone else.

Where is she?

Only when Chanyeol stopped blocking my view did I see her.

She was leaning against the door and looking at me uncertainly. I felt this weird strange warm sensation inside me when she smiled a little upon realizing my gaze was on her.

Then she blinked and looked away, biting her lower lip.

I really wanted to talk to her. Just her.

Chanyeol was saying something but my mind had turned him off some time ago.

I could just look at her, brushing her hair away awkwardly, wondering if she should come forward or go back.

All of a sudden I heard Suho say “Hey I think I remember Dr. Donghae wanting us. Lets go guys.”

I looked at him as he smiled at me and nodded. I guess he had understood.

Chanyeol was still blabbering away, when Suho dragged him away.

Panchali also turned to leave but Suho stopped her and told her to stay with me.

She just nodded, watching the others disappear behind the corner.

Then she turned to look at me again and awkwardly closed the door.

“Does it hurt?” she asked, lightly.

“Yeah. I had so much morphine that they needed some time before giving me another dose.” I said, wincing a little.

I expected her to come by my side but she went and fiddled with the curtains and then rearranged the towels. Then she came by my side and glanced at me briefly before turning away towards the drip monitor muttering something about correct pressure.

“Hey…” I said and she finally looked at me, slightly flustered.

“Sit.” I said and motioned for her to sit beside me.

She stood frozen for a few seconds but then taking a deep breath came and sat beside me, still not looking me in the eye.

“Is something wrong?” I asked her gently, removing the oxygen mask.

“You need to put that on.” She said, putting it back on me, still not meeting my eyes.

I pushed it off again and grabbed her hand.

“Hey.” I said firmly and she looked into my eyes and then looked away again. She didn’t pull her hand away though.

I could see so much guilt and pain in those fiery pools of brown.

“I’m sorry…” she muttered, looking down.

“Sorry? You saved my life!” I exclaimed.

“But if I was more vigilant I could’ve done more. I could’ve helped. I could’ve prevented you from going through so much pain. I-“ she sighed “I should’ve stopped you from going in there…”

I didn’t say anything.

“I’m blabbering. Sorry.” She muttered and bit her lower lip.

I was silent for another moment.

All I could do was stare at her. Her hair was still frazzled though she had changed her blood stained clothes. She looked weak. Her lips were trembling and I realized that they were still a little swollen.

“You’re such an idiot.” I said finally.

“W-what?!” she said, finally looking at me as I chuckled.

“Well you’re a meanie!” she said and smiled too.

“Hey no bullying the sick patient!” I said and both of us started laughing.

She still hadn’t let my hand go and I held hers gently.

Her face broke into a smile suddenly and she was about to say something when I said “And you saved my life. I owe you a lot you know that? Thanks for coming in there and getting me. You didn’t have to but you did. And more than that… thanks for staying. When you could’ve easily gone, thanks for staying.”

“Well you stole my first time. I couldn’t let you get away so easily.” she said and grinned.

“Oh that…” I was about to tell her about what Chanyeol had said but stopped myself.

“Right. Yeah. Guess everything happens for the better right?”

“Right!” she exclaimed, grinning happily.

“Oh well let me go check on the other patients okay?” she said, getting up.

“Oh didn’t Dr. Komal tell you?” I asked, smirking.

She frowned suspiciously at my smirk and then asked “About what?”

“I am under your care. And you have to do everything I want.” I smirked as she stood, rooted to her spot, twitching.

“Massage my head.” I smirked and watched her wide eyes, amused.

Oh this would be so much fun. 


Omo mianhae T___T I know its short but I wanted to leave it at this bit only. There'll be some family in the next chapter and some weird along with an interesting syndrome (I might move the syndrome to the next chapter) (It may not even be a syndrome. Maybe a tumor. Or maybe something Dr. Siwon or Dr. Shindong related i.e cardiothoracic or orthopaedic. Lets see) (I like brackets?) (You like brackets?) (okay enough) (Tata).