Chapter 2

Not Just Medicine

Panchali’s POV

All of us practically threw on the blue surgical uniform. It was crisp and brittle. It was new.

We ran downstairs tying our masks behind our heads. Since we were only on the first floor no one bothered to use the elevator.

“Where the hell is OR2?”Chanyeol said looking around confused.

“Follow me.” Suho said with a small voice and led the way down a corridor.

In front of us we could see a woman hurriedly being wheeled into the operation room.

“Finally!” we heard an exasperated sigh.

All of us turned to see a woman running up to us.

Her surgical clothes were stained with blood. She had he her hair done up in a bun but some loose strands hung around her face. She had pouty lips and a dark complexion.

“So interns!” she said in a stern voice.

We could all deduce she was a no nonsense kind of person.

“This will be your first surgery. That woman, Mrs. Lee Ari is 8 months pregnant and she has had an accident. Her brain might be dead in which case the fetus is going to face problems. I need to do a scan to see how the baby is doing. We might have to do a  C-section if she is dead but all efforts are being made to keep her alive.”

We all nodded and made our way to the OR when she grabbed Luhan by the collar and said “You talk to the parents. Explain the procedure and calm them down. They’re creating a huge ruckus.”

“But-“ he said but she herded the rest of us into the OR and closed the door behind her.

Inside we saw a thin man putting on gloves and picking up a medical saw.

“Interns?” he raised an eyebrow at us.

We all nodded.

“I am Dr. Hyukjae Lee. Since there are a lot of Lees here you can call me Dr. Hyuk. Well lets get down to business then.”

I almost couldn’t believe I was already doing my first surgery.

“Panchali help me with the saw. Kai watch the monitor and keep her vitals steady.” Dr. Hyuk barked and I hurried over.

“Suho get over here and keep her down. She’s jolting and I can’t look at the baby like this. Chanyeol monitor the baby’s vitals and hold her stomach.” Dr. Diksha yelled.

He handled the saw and whispered to me “Control the pressure. We need to cut her skull open. If its too much we’ll cut her brain too.”

I nodded and looked at the pressure monitor.

I heard Suho grunt “She’s flailing.”

“Well we can’t give her morphine because she’ll go into a comatose state and we’re cutting her skull open so I’m sure she’s not ecstatic. The pain is keeping her alive.”

“That’s enough.” Dr. Hyuk said as he cut her skull fully open.

I saw a live brain for the first time and I froze. I froze.

“Panchali control the darned pressure!” Dr. Hyuk yelled dragging me out of my trance and making me focus on the controls once again.

“Sorry!” I said.

“Tell that to her family.” Dr. Diksha said frowning at the radiology screen.

“Vitals are dropping!” Kai yelled.

“Baby’s vitals are dropping too!” Chanyeol yelled.

“Panchali! Clamps!” Dr. Hyuk yelled and I handed him the clamps hurriedly.

“Charge to 200!” he said.

“Hyukjae! What are you doing?! If the baby bounces so much it’ll perish inside her womb!”

“Shouldn’t we ask the family if they want to save the kid or the wife?” Chanyeol asked and every single person turned to look at him.

“Dr. Chanyeol.” Dr. Diksha said firmly “This is not a movie. We try to save both and whoever dies first, dies first. We save the other then. We do not ASK who their preference is.”

He gulped and looked down and I would’ve felt sorry for him had Dr. Hyuk not grabbed the clamps from me and shocked her.

“Hyukjae!” Diksha yelled.

“We need to save her. You watch your kid.” He said barely even listening.

“Vitals are stable.” Kai announced.

Hyukjae poked about in her brain and barked an order at someone senior “Stimulate the frontal lobe!”

We saw some wires jolt but the woman remained the same.

“Stimulate again!” Hyukjae yelled but again the woman had no reaction.

“Brain dead.” Hyukjae announced.

“We need to get the baby out. Do a C-section.” Diksha said dragging her eyes away from the screen.

She grabbed a scalpel and pushed the woman’s clothing up.

Suho blushed.

“Well Dr. Suho you will have to see all this if you’re a doctor. Kindly control your hormones.” She said firmly.

“Y-yes ma’am.” He stuttered and the lady went ahead to do her C- section.

“Panchali. Go ask the parents if they want to donate her organs.” Hyukjae said stripping off his blood soaked gloves.

“What do I tell them about the baby?” I asked.

“She’s going to be premature but she’ll live.” Diksha said pulling out a small head.

“Severe the umbilical cord.” I heard her say as I exited the OR.

                                                           ~~~

I heard yelling from the corridor and rushed ahead to see Luhan jostling with an old lady.

“Please calm down. The doctors are operating on your daughter now!”

She saw me and her eyes lit up. Throwing poor Luhan on the floor she came towards me and grabbed my hands.

“How is she? Hows the baby?” I felt a pang in my heart and I realized that I had to be the one to tell her daughter was now dead

“I am very sorry.  Ari has not been able to survive the surgery.” I told her as softly as possible.

She crumpled on the ground and a young man ran up behind her and supported her.

“I am her husband.” He looked at me with grief stricken eyes.

“The baby is going to be fine.” I told him firmly and I saw his eyes light up for a nanosecond before they cowered back into a dark cave.

The woman was crying and beating her chest. Then suddenly she got up and pushed me so hard I fell down.

“You killed my baby!” she said accusingly as if I’d been the one to get her in the accident.

I didn’t know how to react for a moment but thankfully Dr. Diksha appeared just then and stood between me and the lady.

“On the contrary that young lady has done all she can to save your child. It is because of her that your granddaughter is still alive. You should be thanking her.” She said firmly with her arms crossed.

Luhan extended his hand and helped me get up as I stared at her in awe.

The mother had shut up and had allowed herself to be dragged away by her son-in-law.

Dr. Diksha turned to me with softer eyes and said “Happens from time to time.”

And then we heard a loud voice behind her.

“Yah Diksha you stole the interns.” A very good looking man was approaching behind her.

He brushed one hand through his hair and stood in front of us.

“Well I’m very sorry Donghae but a woman and her child were dying.” She said poking him once in the chest.

Luhan and I gave each other a look.

“Ouch.” He said rubbing the spot she’d poked “Geez. You’re some wife.”

Luhan and I gave each other a knowing look now. He’s the hematologist. Or as he was knew more commonly HAEmatologist.

Diksha blushed and turned back to us.

“Luhan. There’s a Mr. Go Yoogeun in room 232. Prep him for surgery with Dr. Hyukjae. Locate him yourself.”

“Panchali you go with Kai to the cancer ward. You will find Dr. Miryo there and she will guide you further.”

“Dr. Miryo? The head?” I gaped at her.

“Well yes why?”

I couldn’t believe my luck. Working with the head of surgery on my first day. Oh maaaaaaaan!

 


Am I very free? Do I have nothing to do? I thought I had a lot of homework :P Meh. I finished it early because I wanted to update. Yah I'm working hard so you better suggest it to your friends. I have to triple check to write anything since its med related ==