Chapter 24

Not Just Medicine

 

Chanyeol’s POV

“All right.” Dr. Hyukjae said, entering and flexing his hands.

There were at least twenty doctors up in the gallery. This was a huge surgery.

“Okay everyone.” He started to say, “I’ll be heading this surgery. Dr. Jaejin will be my primary assistant and Dr. Panchali will be my secondary assistant. Dr. Chansung will be in charge of the child’s heart and Dr. Chanyeol I’ll need you to make sure all his vitals and everything else is stable.”

I nodded slowly and turned towards the monitor as Dr. Hyukjae slowly started drilling into his brain.

It was supposed to be a short surgery. Well as long as the tumor wasn’t too big. We never could tell every detail just from above. It could be much bigger or much smaller than expected.

“The tumor has wrapped around the main artery…” Dr. Hyukjae murmured picking up a 10 scalpel.

“I’m going in for it. Dr. Jaejin and Dr. Panchali I’ll need help.”

I turned back towards the monitor. The heartbeat and brain activity were fine. The kid was doing well. But I felt strange. Like I’d seen something before. Like I was missing something.

“The artery is in potential danger!” Dr. Hyukjae said suddenly and my eyes turned back to the boy on the table.

The monitor beeped and I turned back to it.

“The brain activity is decreasing.” I called out.

“The blood supply is suffocated sir.” Panchali said, wiping sweat from her brow as Dr. Hyukjae frowned and dived in again.

“Keep going Osei… There’s just a tiny bit left.” He murmured, working so fast that his fingers were practically a blur.

The brain activity reached a critical level and I said once again “Brain activity dangerously low.”

Dr. Hyukjae was sweating by now as he flexed his hand once and scraped for one last time before announcing “I’ve got most of it! The rest can be treated. He’ll live!”

He wiped his forehead and smiled.

We looked up to the gallery to see everyone applauding.

Everyone was smiling. We’d saved his life.

“Panchali please inform the parents while I finish up here. Dr. Chanyeol make sure everything in the room is ready.” Dr. Hyukjae said stepping towards the kid once again.

Panchali and I both exited and she made her way to the waiting lounge while I stripped off my gloves and donned my lab coat.

I had taken not a step outside when a very hassled looking young nurse crashed into me and a roll of papers went flying.

She cursed and bent to pick them up but I gathered them before her and noticed that they were an account of the boy’s heart and brain activity during the surgery.

“Say why are you carrying all this?” I asked her as she awkwardly and very shabbily rolled them all up.

“It was a rare surgery so its for the records.” She mumbled, rolling it up haphazardly.

“Here. I’ll do it.” I said and motioned for the papers.

She handed them to me and before I could stop her, rushed off down a separate hallway.

I shrugged and took them to the room, shuffling through them. Pausing for a moment in the hallway I went over the first 15 minutes and 32 seconds.

I sat on a bench nearby and went through the rest but eventually came back to the same time span.

Frowning, I kept going through the first 15 minutes and 32 seconds. There was something strange. Something so horribly strange that I couldn’t quite comprehend at that very moment.

“Chanyeol!” I heard and looked up to see Panchali jog towards me.

“You saw the room?” I asked and she nodded and said “The patient is settled in. He’s alone right now. Concious. He’s being monitored.”

 Suho and Luhan came up behind her as I glanced once again at the sheets.

And then it struck me.

“This pattern… this pattern of his heartbeat and brain activity…” I whispered as I heard a loud sound behind me.

“COME QUICKLY!”

We all turned to see a very hysterical nurse frantically running towards a room.

My eyes were still glued to the vitals monitor as my breathing quickened. My pulse increased. I felt a huge adrenaline rush. No… this can’t be. No… bloody hell no.

“Chanyeol?” Suho nudged me and I turned and ran towards the room, pushing everyone out of the way.

There was a crowd of doctors in the doorway but I pushed past each one and entered the room to feel like all the life in me had been out.

There he was. His eyes lifeless. His head still rolling as his crumpled body fell to the floor. His hand clutched a box of sleeping pills, now empty, and it rolled on the floor slowly before coming to a stop at my feet.

I felt myself slump. All around me there was chaos. Some doctors ran beside him, trying to help but everyone knew it was too late. There was no pulse. There was no brain activity. Nothing. He was dead. And I’d killed him.

I felt myself being pushed out. I could hear nothing. I just slumped on the floor.

“Ch-Chanyeol?” I heard someone speak and felt myself being shaken by the shoulders.

A concerned face appeared in front of me. It was Panchali.

I shoved her away roughly and scrambled down the corridor, pulling at my lab coat violently.

Without thinking, I started running blindly until I was standing on the open terrace of the hospital.

My foot was on the edge.

I clutched the lab coat tightly in my hand, my face impassive.

“Whats wrong dude?!” I heard Suho behind me as he put an arm on my shoulder which I violently jerked away.

I could see hurt in his eyes.

“Whats wrong?” Luhan asked finally and the concern in his eyes made me erupt.

“I KILLED HIM!” I yelled loudly.

“What?! How could you have done that?” Panchali asked and I flung the roll of cardiac and brain activity at her.

She grabbed it and opened it but I could only see confusion etched on her face.

How would she know? This was supposed to be my field.

I breathed out slowly looking over the streets of Seoul, “Anesthesiologists administer the drugs to numb the patient, but sometimes the drugs may fail to render the person unconscious. This happened with him and he felt everything until 15 minutes and 32 seconds into the surgery at which point the pain finally numbed him. It is called anesthetic awareness - a state in which a surgical patient is able to feel pain, pressure or discomfort during an operation, but is unable to move or communicate with doctors. There is only one way to track it. That particular brain activity. But its so bloody rare. There are like 5 cases in medical history. That kid… He… he felt every slice of the surgeon’s scalpel…”

I stopped. All of them were silent.

Gulping I cursed myself once again. I wanted to throw myself off this roof for all the pain I had caused him. But I knew better than that.

“I caused him that pain.” I said finally, “It was my fault. I was responsible for it.”

“I killed him…” I whispered with a finality in my tone, extending my hand and dropping my lab coat off the roof.

It soared and only went down slowly as if taunting me. It seemed as if it told me to try to grab it and then see how I wouldn’t be able to.

Drifting on the wind it went down slowly and landed on the ground where a sweeper mistakenly trod on it. Trod on it right where it said ‘Dr. Chanyeol Park.’

I could sense more than see… the ‘doctor’… it had been smeared. 


Contrary to expectations and how I love to kill people (mian...) this will not turn sad sad. More like what all antics they do to cheer Yeollie up (oops... wasn't supposed to say that...) 
 

ALCHO! (that was my fail aegyo) Suho's secret will be revealed in the next chapter so BAIT. POR. EET. 

GOMAWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *squishes*

If Eunhyuk didn't exist I would marry you *wink wink nudge nudge*