Chapter 33

Not Just Medicine

Panchali

I had a stupid grin on my face as I walked down the hallway to my room. Kai and I had the best day ever. I didn't know when I had so much fun last. At first I had been so nervous. I didn't want to make a fool out of myself. But then, it just got better. I can be myself with him. Completely. He's so amazing. 

Floating in my thoughts, I didn't notice that the door to my room was open and as I entered slowly I saw someone sitting on the bed.

"Panchali." I heard a voice which made my head shoot up. 

There sitting on my bed, with a decidely stormy look in his eyes was my father.

"F-father." I dropped my bag.

My heart was thuding in my chest. The look in his eyes wasn't just scary, it was dangerous.

"Where were you?" he asked.

"I was out with a friend." I said as calmly as I could.

"With that poor piece of flith, you mean?" he said, getting up and scoffing. He looked straight at me and I knew that look. It was the same way he always looked at me. He was disappointed. He was angry and with the scent wafting off him I could tell he was also drunk. What followed next was very well known to me. But this wasn't a closed home of 10 acres where no one could hear me. 

"What did you call him?" I asked gritting my teeth. 

"What he is. Piece of filth. Do you know how poor he is?! Do you have any clue what that would do to my name?! The reputation I have built over years. You're intent on destroying it like this aren't you?  You were always a worthless kid. Have you seen the other kids of our friends? Do you not see how obedient they are? They marry where their parents see fit. They act like good children not like you, you ungrateful piece of-"

"Do NOT call my boyfriend a piece of filth." I said in a low voice. My hands curled up into fists. I was almost shaking with anger. 

I walked up to him for the first time in years without any fear.

"He is ten times the man you will EVER be." I said, pure loathing in my eyes. 

He was taken aback for a second and I thought I saw a sliver of doubt on his face. But it disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. He regained that same expression of his.

"You piece of ." he said as he raised his hands to hit me but I felt no fear.

All I felt was mind numbing anger. For years and years this man had forced me to do his will. But no longer. 

My hand raised as if of its own free will and firmly held his wrist as it was about to hit my cheek.

"No." I said simply.

I could see the shock and anger in his eyes. I could see the confusion. And to my surprise it delighted me. 

"You're not my father. I want nothing to do with you or mother. Don't dare to cross my path again." I said as I let go of his hand and looked at him with a determined look in my eyes. I felt a massive load release off my chest. It felt like something I had always wanted to say. I knew that the only thing that had given me enough courage to do this was Kai. Whatever my father did to me was okay but Kai? No. He could not go there. 

Kai was the only person besides Grammy who had made me feel like I had a family. Something this man, no I won't call him my father, could never give me. Moreover, he had never attempted to.

I scanned his stunned expression for any real feeling. Was he sad he had lost his daughter? Was he finally sad?

His reply didn't surprise me, "Get out of my way." he said and shoved me extremely hard as he strode out briskly. 

I fell down very hard against the desk in the corner of my room, my temple hitting the edge. Blood instantly spurted out of a small cut. I touched it and retrieved my hand to see a trail of blood flowing down my palm. The cut wasn't large but it was definitely deep. My head was pounding and it hurt but it couldn't mask the feeling I had in my chest. It was a mixture of so many emotions. Twenty three years of resentment came rushing back to me and I picked myself off the ground and burst out of my door and caught the retrieveing back of my father.

"You were the worst father ever!" I yelled loudly, at him.

I watched him freeze. He didn't turn. I expected it. 

"I'd say I hate you." I continued, blood still flowing from my temple, "But you know what? I don't care. I don't care if you live or if you die. I don't care if you're sad or happy."

He finally turned but I couldn't read his expression.

I smirked with satisfaction even though my cheek was red and my head felt like it would burst.

"You know what Cho Hyunseung? I don't care about you. AT. ALL."

And with that final word I my heel, grinning and panting. I didn't know whether he was still standing there or whether he had left. All I knew was that I had said what I had to and I had never felt better. 

Chanyeol

"So lets begin." she said and I continued to stare out of the window. I had absolutely nothing to say to her. I didn't know her. I saw no reason to open up to her.

We sat in a serene silence for a few minutes which was only interrupted by voices from outside.

"What happened?" she asked. 

I didn't bother to answer.

"Chanyeol?" she asked again calmly, completely unaffacted. 

"You know what happened." I said drily.

"Yes, I know the facts. But I would like to hear it from you."

I glanced briefly at her. She was toying with a sort of bracelet charm on her wrist. It had little crescent moons which matched her earrings. She tucked a strand of stray hair behind her ear and continued to examine me. I didn't respond in any way. She toyed with her bracelet again. She was just rubbing it gently, very gently, as if carressing it. I could tell she cared about it. 

"It was a gift from my mother." she said, noticing my  gaze.

"Oh." I answered, turning back to examining the branch outside the window.

"You can't avoid it forever." 

"Yes, I can."

"Tell me Chanyeol. Tell me." she said very persuasively. 

I turned back to her again. I could feel anger washing over my senses.

"Why don't you give me something in return?" I said, smirking.

"What would you like?" she asked, her intense gaze making it seem as if she could see through my soul.

I looked her up and down. I wanted something which she wouldn't give me. was my first thought but when I met her eyes I knew I couldn't say that. I noticed her hands again. She was toying with the bracelet again. 

My eyes rested on the bracelet for a moment before I looked up to her face.

"That bracelet." I said, pointing at it.

She froze for a second and stopped toying with it. A look crossed her face but before I could begin to decipher it, it was gone.

"Ask for something else." she said.

I smirked and got up, stretching.

"Well if you can't give it to me then I can't tell you. So get out of my room." I said, walking towards the door to open it for her.

I had taken barely two steps when I heard something click behind me and turned to see a bracelet with little crescent moons dangling in front of my face.

"Lets start now shall we?" she said, settling on the chair again as I took the bracelet from her hands.

Her eyes were glued to her bracelet, a pained expression on her face.

"Take good care of that. Thats the last thing my mother ever gave me." she said and looked at me once, before diverting her gaze.

"Y-yeah." I stammered, settling on my bed again.

We were silent for a few moments before she took a deep breath.

"Well Chanyeol, tell me. What happened?"

I gulped, and started talking slowly, "Its not just about the surgery... Its not just about the little boy... Its my brother..."


whuuuuuut? Brother? Whaaaaaaat?