Chapter 18

Not Just Medicine

Panchali’s POV

I blindly ran through the fields of police, detectives and paramedics with only the building in my sight.

My eyes searched all the windows for any glimpse.

No one was coming out the door.

I dragged my bag behind me.

The building was only a few feet away when I crashed into a large man who held me firmly in his arms as I kicked and writhed.

“No ma’am! Its not safe!” He kept saying while I kicked him with all my might.

“You don’t understand!” I yelled, “My friend is in there! I need to help him!”

“You can’t help him ma’am!”

“I’m a doctor! Let. Me. Go. You can’t stop me from helping the injured!”

“MA’AM! We don’t even know if there is any piece of him in there right now!”

I stopped kicking for a second. I was panting, my head was clouded. I didn’t know what to do.

Why was I risking my life for him anyway?

I didn’t know and I found that at that time it didn’t matter. It didn’t matter.

With only that thought in mind I stopped writhing for a moment. My hair was matted against my forehead, partially open, my clothes were stained with blood, my gloves were torn.

I took in a deep breath and said “I’m sorry for this.”

“W-what?” the man asked and I grabbed the arm that was holding me and bit into it with all my might.

He yelped loudly and let me go for a second.

Quickly turning, I pushed him to the side, jumped over him and ran for the building.

I was still in two minds. One part of me was screeching for me to go back, asking me why the hell I was doing what I was doing, telling me that I’m NOT the heroic kind, that I should go back. There was still time. I could go back. I didn’t need to do this. It wasn’t my fault. But I couldn’t turn.

Something made me run forward, inside the burning building, towards Kai.

Shielding my head and taking a large gasp of air, I entered the burning building.

The fire inside was small for now but I could guess it would soon be raging. Coming out then would be very hard.

Everything had been destroyed. Half burnt tables were lying haphazardly, mutilated limbs were strewn in a corner and charred bodies were lying slumped against the walls.

My eyes started to water from the smoke.

I quickly put a mask over my face and yelled loudly “KAI!”

I got no reply. I rushed forward into the ruins of the building.

I hadn’t taken two steps when I heard a huge thud behind me. I turned quickly to see that the iron beam over the entrance had fallen and I was now trapped inside the building.

Gulping, I decided there was no going back.

Either I go with Kai or I don’t go. There was no in between anymore.

Chanyeol’s POV

Lunging forward, I tried to beat off the bulky man who was pushing me back.

“MY FRIEND IS IN THAT BUILDING!” I thundered but he just calmly told me to step back.

Not knowing what to do I let out a string of swear words.

Suho ran up behind me at that moment.

“Kai is in that building!” I yelled and he took in a sharp breath and his eyes widened.

Seeing the two of us, the man grew uneasy and said “Sir, a girl has already gone into that building.”

“A GIRL?!” my eyes grew wide and I turned towards Suho.

It can’t be...

He shook his head slightly. His eyes were huge too. He looked as scared as me.

“Did- did she have longish hair? Slightly dark complexion?” Suho asked, stammering.

The man fidgeted “Well her face was covered with soot and her hair was in a very bad state. She just kept saying her friend was in that building. Then she ran straight into it. I tried to stop her.”

I drew in a sharp breath and shook my head. No. That stupid STUPID girl.

“Well what are you doing?!” Suho thundered.

“The bomb squad is currently going over the site with a helicopter sweep. When they give us an all clear we’ll go in.”

“They could die by then!” I said in disbelief.

“Well we’re trying our best.”

Suho’s face was contorted by anger.

By this time, hearing about the blast, Dr. Komal also ran behind us.

She looked at our faces and gave us a questioning look.

I looked away. I didn’t want to say it. I COULDN’T say it.

Suho looked straight at her and said in a dead voice “Kai and Panchali. They’re in that building.”

Panchali’s POV

I ran through random doors. Where do I start looking? Where could he possibly be?

“Kai!” I yelled, hysterical.

I got no reply.

Rushing through another corridor I yelled again “KAI?!”

I was running out of time.

I stopped running, desperate. My eyes had tears by now. Tears of pure desperation. All this for nothing?

No… he has to be alive… Otherwise I’ll kill him.

“KAAAAAAAAAI!” I screamed again and was silent, trying to catch my breath.

“Help! Please help!” came a small voice from somewhere nearby.

My eyes widened.

“K-KAI?!” I yelled, uncertain.

“Panchali?!” I heard a small voice groan.

“K-Kai!” I yelled, a smile spreading across my face.

I ran towards the source of the voice and arrived at a store room-ish place with many piles of old desks and cupboards.

“Kai?!” I yelled again.

“Here…” I heard a small voice.

I rushed towards the spot to find a huge metal almirah lying on its side.

In one corner of it lay half a figure. The other half was buried beneath the almirah.

“Kai!” I ran towards him and kneeled beside him.

There was a large wound on his head and his face was covered with rivers of blood.

His arm was wounded and his chest too was injured.

“Panchali…” he raised a weak arm as if I would run away any second.

“Shh… Kai… you’re really hurt.”

He laughed a little but then started coughing blood.

My vision was clouded with tears. I knew there wasn’t much I could do to help him.

I hurried towards the almirah and tried to push it but to no avail. It didn’t budge. I didn’t know what damage it had done. What if I crushed him more in the process?

I took his head in my laps as he winced.

“It hurts…” he said and I pulled off the mask.

“You shoulder is dislocated. If I put it in it might help. But you know how much it’ll hurt.”

“Do it…”

I nodded and wiped the tears in my eyes.

I gripped his arm and folded it inward at 90 degrees towards his chest as he winced.

“Okay Kai…  This could take a few tries…”

I held his wrist and upper arm firmly and moved them to the side, coaxing them into the joint.

He yelled loudly and his face scrunched up in pain.

“Shhh… hold my hand. I’m sorry I’m sorry…”

He held onto my hand with his other hand and clutched it firmly, panting.

I tried one more time.

“Twist inwards…” I whispered, my chest heaving.

“Slowly twist outwards while coaxing the joint back in place…” I moved his shoulder again as he let out a blood curdling scream.

He clutched my head tightly, tears cutting across the rivers of blood on his face.

I pushed in more firmly. My head was hurting and I bit my lower lip.

Why isn’t it going in?!

I pushed in one last time and he yelled again, clutching my hand tighter, his knuckles white.

With a pop sound, his joint fell back in place.

“Its okay its okay… Is that better?” I asked him softly and he softened his grip on my hand.

I bit my lower lip again to hold in the tears.

“Panchali…?” he said not letting go of my hand as I searched for morphine in my bag with the other.

“Y-yes?”

“Don’t leave…”

“I- I won’t. I promise.”

Loading a heavy dose into the syringe I administered it to him.

I looked up to the ceiling and sent up a silent prayer to send someone to help.

Someone. Anyone.

Please.

Just as I was saying this I heard voices behind me. I turned but couldn’t see anyone through the smoke.

Kai coughed blood again and I turned back to him.

“Kai! Panchali!” I heard a familiar voice behind me.

My eyes widened.

I spun around to see Suho, Chanyeol and Luhan running towards with a rescue team behind them.

I turned back to Kai and beamed at him.

“You’ll be all right! They’re here!”

He didn’t move.

“K-Kai?” I said and felt his heartbeat. There was none.

“KAI!” I yelled pumping his heart but to no avail.

“QUICK! THERES NO HEARTBEAT!” I yelled back to them and they ran faster.

They all looked haphazard.

The search and rescue team arrived first and pushed the almirah off of him.

His legs had somehow not been crushed but there was a large gash across his stomach.

“K-Kai!” I said again, shaking him, my tears dropping onto his face.

Suho dragged me away and held me as paramedics loaded him onto a stretcher and took him away.

“No!” I yelled, “I’m coming with you!”

I broke free of Suho’s grasp and ran towards the stretcher.

Holding Kai’s hand firmly as they dragged him up the stairs I kept whispering “It’ll be all right. It’ll be okay. All is well. All is well.”

We rushed him through the back entrance and got into the ambulance.

Chanyeol came in with me and Suho and Luhan stayed outside.

Dr. Komal looked at the three of us briefly while doing an open heart surgery and told the driver to go as fast as possible.

I was crying again, feeling desperately for a heartbeat.

“Clamps!” Chanyeol yelled and a paramedic handed them to us.

I put them to his heart.

“Charge to 200.” Chanyeol said and Kai’s chest jolted up.

“No beat. Charge to 300.” Chanyeol said.

Kai’s chest jolted up again and so did his heartbeat.

“Let me take over the chest and stomach. Whats wrong with the head?” Chanyeol said, examining Kai’s injuries.

“Er, blunt force trauma.” I said hurriedly, putting an oxygen mask on him.

“He’s gaining consciousness!” Chanyeol yelled and I came over instantly.

He raised one hand a little and I grabbed it instantly.

His eyes started to flutter again but I yelled loudly “No Kai you stay with me!  You’re not dying you hear me? You will be fine. You WILL be fine.”

My clothes were by now stained by his blood.

I didn’t understand what I was doing but I kept telling him to keep looking at me.

His heartbeat was far from stable. It was so uneven that for a moment I wondered if he would even make it to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital in record time and he was quickly wheeled into the OR.

Doctors were waiting at the entrance. Dr. Hyukjae, Dr. Donghae and a few others who I didn’t know.

I tried to say something but Dr. Hyukjae stopped me.

“No Dr. Panchali. We will do all we can to save him. You need to stay here. You’ve done enough.”

“But-“

“I can’t use you in the OR in this state Dr. Panchali.” He said firmly and entered the OR.

Helpless, I leaned against the wall.

Chanyeol came up beside me and put one arm around me. It wasn’t comforting but it was better than being alone. I looked up at his tired face. His curls were covered with soot and his jovial face wore a dead expression.

“I could use that massage now…” I muttered and he let out a small snort.


DO NOT WORRY! There will  be no sad ! I hate that == Anyway, hope you liked it!