Chapter 6

Not Just Medicine

 

Panchali’s POV

We were all sitting in the cafeteria. It was a large open space with a glass roof to let the sun in. There was a small fountain in the corner and there were lots of potted plants all over the place. It didn’t fit into a hospital scenario but hey I’m not complaining.

I was munching on a sandwich when Chanyeol came and flopped down next to Kai who was sitting opposite me.

“Oh god.” He said massaging the back of his neck.

“What happened?” I asked.

“REALLY fat guy in the oncology dept! He just wouldn’t move. Though I still had it good. Suho and Luhan were in orthopedics. I wonder what happened to them!” he said snatching my sandwich and taking a bite.

“I like it!” He said and took another bite.

I was going to scold him for his lack of manners in front of a girl when I saw Suho from the corner of my eye but he was bent over. There was someone on his back… Luhan?!

Suho came closer and gently put Luhan in a chair. He was groaning and clutching his leg.

“What the hell happened to you?!” I asked.

Suho grinned and sat next to me.

“An old lady found Luhan very handsome and refused to be helped by anyone but him. And lets just say she weighed over a 100 kgs.”

My heart went out to the poor boy.

“I feel sorry for you bro.” Kai said and patted his back.

I offered him the rest of my meal but he shook his head still groaning.

“What did you guys do today?” Chanyeol asked us.

“We saw two patients. One had hexakosiohexakontahexephobia and the other had alien hand syndrome!” I said grinning from ear to ear.

Suho’s jaw dropped open.

Luhan stopped writhing in pain to stare at us with wide eyes.

Chanyeol started stuttering “W-W-who did you guys worship in your last life that you got two of the rarest cases on your second day of internship?!”

He grabbed Kai’s collar “You did this somehow!”

Kai stopped him and said “Chill bro.”

Chanyeol sat down dejected.

“Hey Kai.” Suho said taking a swig of his coffee. “Who’s your roommate? Mine is Luhan.”

“I have a 3rd year resident.” Chanyeol said and grinned.

Kai and I looked at each other.

“Uh…” I said “We’re sort of each other’s roommates…”

“You and Kai are roommates?!” Luhan gasped and we all stared at him. This was the first time I’d heard him speak.

His voice was so sweet and innocent. I felt like squishing him just then.

I was stopped when Chanyeol looked at Kai with a strange expression.

“That’s not the worst part.” I said dryly “There was only one bed.”

“So who slept on the floor?” Suho asked.

“Er. We slept on the same bed.” Kai said, rubbing the back of his neck.

                                                ~~~

“Dude you’re overreacting!” Kai said.

“Nope. I’m in good with Dr. Miryo now so she’ll help us.” Chanyeol said striding ahead.

Luhan and Suho had been summoned back by the orthopedician.

At the moment Chanyeol was dragging Kai and me to Dr. Miryo’s office. Apparently it was a huge problem that we were sharing a room.

“And plus.” Chanyeol continued “I am not about to let you get the best cases AND share a room, and a bed, with the hot female intern.”

I blushed.

Kai opened his mouth to say something when Chanyeol burst into Dr. Miryo’s office. Thankfully she was sitting alone behind her desk.

“Yes Drs?” she looked at us expectantly.

“Dr. Kai and Dr. Panchali have been assigned the same room.” Chanyeol said instantly.

She nodded once, then paged Dr. Komal.

She must’ve been close because she was in the room within 34 seconds.

“Who put them together?” Dr. Miryo asked Dr. Komal.

“I don’t know. I’m not in charge of this.” Dr. Komal said calmly.

“I don’t want little babies running around my hospital!” Dr. Miryo practically yelled.

“But Dr. Miryo-“ I tried to say something.

“Oh please! Both of you are young and your hormones are raging!”

“But-“ Kai tried to say.

“But what? Are you saying Dr. Kai that your virility is low?” She said.

Kai’s cheeks reddened “Er no I don’t think so.”

“And your fertility doesn’t seem to be low either Dr. Panchali.” She said looking straight at me.

My cheeks turned crimson as I blinked and said in a small voice “I suppose.”

“Then its done! You will have little babies running about in no time! Have their rooms changed at once!”

And with that she shoved us all out.

Chanyeol seemed very happy with himself.

Dr. Komal sighed and said “I will get your rooms changed. Geez you interns are so much trouble. Dr. Panchali you’re assigned with Dr. Chanyeol to Dr. Diksha. Dr. Kai report with me to general surgery.”

Kai followed her while I threw Chanyeol dirty looks.

I did not appreciate my fertility being questioned.

“On second thought.” Dr. Komal turned, “Dr. Chanyeol come with me and Dr. Panchali take Dr. Suho with you. A patient seems to be very satisfied with Dr. Luhan’s service in the orthopedics department.”

We all sent up a silent prayer for poor Luhan.

                                                              ~~~

“Someone’s having a baby!” Dr. Diksha announced putting on gloves as we followed her into a room where we could hear a lot of yelling.

“Mrs. Ju Haetnim, 29, is having her second child.” Dr. Diksha said positioning herself in front of the lady.

“Dr. Suho how do we proceed?” she asked.

“Well she has to push and we’ll see if the baby is crowning. If not we’ll have to help her. Ultimately she’ll have to get a c-section.”

“Good.” She said and then looked at the lady.

“Okay Mrs. Ju now you have to push.”

“Come on dear!” her husband said grabbing her hand.

“He’s crowning!” Dr. Diksha yelled and Suho and I ran forward to help.

“Dr. Panchali scissors. Dr. Suho pull gently.”

Suho gently took the baby’s head in both hands and gave him a slight pull.

“Dr. Panchali. Cut the umbilical cord.”

I had never seen a baby being born before and after that experience I was pretty sure I wouldn’t want to again.

I cut the cord quickly while Suho took the baby in both arms.

“Dr. Suho and Dr. Panchali take the baby’s vitals and clean him.”

I followed Suho out silently.

“You want to hold him?” He asked me and turned.

That’s when I noticed how darned good looking Suho was. His gentle smile and the super gentle way he held that tiny baby. He looked like a dad himself and I was sure he would make a very good one.

I reached forward to hold the baby when I heard a familiar voice behind me and froze

“PANCHALI MY BABY DOLL!”

Oh .