Chapter 3

Not Just Medicine

 

Panchali’s POV

I ran along the corridor eager to find Kai as I had been instructed and get to Dr. Miryo as soon as godforsaken possible.

I peeked into OR2 to find it empty and checked into the nearby room where the patient had been taken. Chanyeol and Suho were attaching tubes to her and monitoring her vitals.

I cleared my throat and both of them turned to look at me.

“Uh have you seen Dr. Kai?”

“I don’t think so but he was the last one out. Did you check the changing room next to the OR?” Suho said giving me a mesmerizing smile.

“I’ll do that now. Thank you.” I said and bowed.

Before I could make my way out Chanyeol yelled, “Yah Panchali loosen up. Should I give you a massage?”

I was out before you could say ‘Noodles’.

                                                    ~~~

I pushed the door open with a “Dr. Kai we…” but trailed off when I was met with a strange sight.

The strange part wasn’t that Kai was standing with his shirt off. Oh no no.

It was that Dr. Hyukjae Lee. THE Dr. Hyukjae Lee. The legend Dr. Hyukjae Lee. The best neurosurgeon in Asia Dr. Hyukjae Lee was standing without a shirt.

I hadn’t gotten a good look at him in the OR with the dim lighting and the face mask. I thought he was a random Dr. Hyukjae Lee. Last I checked he had been practicing in Busan. 

As a teenager I’d been a crazy fan of this guy. He didn’t just do surgery, but was an amazing dancer and did I mention how amazing his abs were? I had wanted to marry this guy. Well not really but he was my idol.

And here he was standing in front of me without a shirt with his golden ab muscles on display.

“Er. Dr. Panchali?” I heard him say before I pulled my eyes away from his abs and realized I had been staring shamelessly.

“S-S-sir!” I stuttered, “I’m a huge fan!”

And I jumped inside the room, pushed a very disappointed looking Kai out of my way and shook Dr. Lee’s free hand.

The other was grabbing a shirt.

He looked very awkward as I vigorously shook his hand up and down.

“Er that’s very nice of you Dr. Panchali. Now er I’m sure since this is your first day you’re very busy…?” he said.

Oh how caring he was for his new intern! He even cared how much work I had! I soared inside and had a scream stuck in my throat.

“Yeah Dr. Panchali. You were saying?” Kai stepped between me and Dr. Hyuk.

How annoying.

“Yes Dr. Kai, we have to go to the cancer ward to meet Dr. Miryo.” I said curtly.

“I’ll be right there. Please wait for me outside.” He said shoving me to the door.

“But but!” I was trying to say before he pushed me out and locked the door behind me.

I wanted to see more of Dr. Hyuk! I mean not that way. Or maybe that way. Oh I don’t know!

I huffed and stamped my foot once.

Why should I wait for that mean Kai? I’ll go to the cancer ward myself.

                                                                       ~~~

I was standing in front of Dr. Miryo’s room which was right next to the cancer ward.

She was one of the top oncologists of her time.

She was currently having a consultation with a patient and I had been asked to wait outside.

I was humming a little tune when I heard a strange voice. A very y one at that “You were such a dork in there.”

I turned to see Kai and frowned.

“He is my idol okay?! And I was so excited to meet him!”

“Yeah so excited you didn’t even know I existed.” He said impatiently brushing a hand through his hair.

“Listen mister-“ I said poking his chest when he suddenly lifted his shirt making my hand fall down to touch his not so impressive (VERY VERY impressive) abs. 

I gasped in shock.

“My abs are good too you know.” He said and smirked.

I pulled my hand away just as I heard someone clear their throat behind me.

I saw a tall thin woman with short hair looking at both of us with a stern glance. Rimless rectangular spectacles were perched daintily on her nose. She seemed to have an aura of power about her. By just looking at  her from a 100 miles away you would respect her.

“I am ready for you now.” She said sharply and turned to walk back in just as a child came out holding the hand of a woman with a shaved head. She looked shrunken. A man accompanied behind her.

“Thank you doctor.” The man said and put an arm around the woman who I presumed to be his wife.

The woman smiled weakly and Dr. Miryo nodded and opened the door to lead us in.

Only when we were inside did I realize how much I was blushing. I touched my face and felt the heat.

I gave Kai a sidelong glance and saw him smirking. He noticed me and winked which made me widen my eyes and turn my head away in super fast speed.

I tend to blink a lot when I’m nervous and right now to an outsider it would seem that I had got something in my eye and was desperately trying to get it out without touching.

“Well Dr. Kai and Dr. Panchali. Both of you are the first interns I have met this year.” Dr. Miryo said settling into her chair.

It was then that I noticed that even though big, the room was modestly decorated.

There were some flowers in one corner but largely it was quite empty.

There was just a plush dark lavender carpet on the floor and a sofa of the same shade in one corner of the room.

“I hope you both will work very hard.” She said.

“Yes ma’am. Certainly.” I smiled at her.

“Definitely ma’am.” Kai gave her a charming smile too.

“It’ll be Dr. Miryo please.” She said giving us a hint of a smile which disappeared so quickly I doubted if it had ever been there.

“Well then get to work. Today I’ll be assigning you to the cancer ward which is right next door. You will handle, diagnose and suggest procedures to the patients yourself. You will work together. There isn’t a rush today and you will get about 20 minutes with each patient. For today this will be what you will do. I will come in the last 2 minutes and approve whatever you have done. Is that clear?”

“Yes Dr. Miryo.” Both of us said and bowed.

I had just opened the door when Dr. Miryo said “Oh and all the interns are to gather here at the end of the day. You will be paged but both of you had better finish with all your patients by then.”

Both of us looked at her but she had already busied herself in some x-rays and said in an offhand way “Your first field medical assignment has been assigned.”

                                                                        ~~~

“I would advise you to go for chemotherapy as soon as possible.” I told an elderly man.

“But must I start now?” The man asked feebly.

Kai said “You are at an acute stage so it is better to start treatment now.”

“Please proceed to the reception on the ground floor. You will get a slip for prescription for chemotherapy there and you can settle your bills.” I said getting up to hold the door open for the man.

He walked out silently as Kai stretched.

“Ah last one is done!” he said yawning.

I picked up the phone and dialed Dr. Miryo.

“Yes Mr. Lee Kyungsan just went out. He has skin cancer level 1 and we have advised chemotherapy for him.”

“All right. I will inform the reception.” She said and hung up.

We had slogged away all day and she hadn’t muttered even a single ‘good’ or anything even nearly resembling it.

I collapsed on my own chair and put my head down on the desk.

My stomach rumbled loudly and I patted it saying “Just a little while more and we’ll go back home okay stomach?”

“You just talked to your stomach.” Kai said staring at me.

“Yeah so?” I said staring back at him.

“Let me see.” He said grabbing my chin suddenly and pulling me towards his face. My eyes widened and I felt heat rise to my cheeks. He stared deep into my eyes as I blinked.

“Yah!” I squeaked brushing his hand away as he tapped my forehead once.

“Yep. You’re stable. For now.”

“You’re crazy.” I said turning away trying to hide my red cheeks with my long hair.

“And you blush easily and get by abs.” he said smirking.

I blushed a deeper shade of red when my pager beeped again.

‘DR. MIRYO’S OFFICE- ASSIGNMENT’

We got up sighing and flexing our shoulders. Man I was in no mood to listen to a long lecture about our first trip.

Kai entered before me and held the door open and I thanked him. Chanyeol, Suho and Luhan were already seated inside.

They had come early.

Everyone looked worn out. Chanyeol’s curls were going haywire. Suho looked shrunken and Luhan well he looked okay.

“All right interns listen up. There is a small village on a small island in the sea. Its pretty much unclaimed but Korea has adopted it. They have asked our hospital to assist them in the health facility. You all will go with your resident Dr. Komal Jung and Dr. Diksha Lee. You will have to deal with all kinds of illnesses and your main aim will be cure and prevention. You will get the rest of the information from your Resident. You will be leaving next week.”

We all nodded.

“And all your belongings have already been moved into your dorm. You may now go and relax.”

I heaved a sigh of relief.

Day 1- Success. 

 


 

Phew. I love writing this xD