A Dragon's Hunger

District Twelve

 

After Kai fully regained his eyesight, the group made their way to the train station, just in time for the 3:00 train to District Eleven. Automobiles and planes were only available to the rich, which was two percent of the entire planet's population. The group was separated into two separate carts; Kai being with Kae In, and Baekhyun with Chanyeol. Chanyeol wanted to sit with Kae In because he wanted to catch up with her and make sure he wouldn't lose her again, but Kai insisted she was safe with him. Once Baekhyun complained that he wanted to catch up with Chanyeol, he was immediately okay with Kai sitting with Kae In. Not long after the train started moving, lunch was served to everyone. Kai finished his food within minutes, which was expected. "Can I see the book?" Kai asked after the attendant took away his empty plates. "Sure," Kae In nodded, gesturing towards the book that was on the table, to her right. Kai took the book and looked through it, seeming to be deeply enveloped by it. "You miss them, huh?" Kae In asked, looking up at Kai. Kai raised his head and smiled weakly. "Yeah . ." was all he said as he looked back down at the book, "I didn't remember them at first, until I started having dreams of memories of them from my past life." Kai closed the book and pushed it back to Kae In to where its former place was. "And once I remembered everything, I started having dreams about you," Kai smiled up at Kae In after seeing her blush.

 

"Oh . . uh, what were those dreams about actually?" Kae In chuckled nervously. "You guided me to meet this girl; I couldn't see her face, and every night I'd hope that in my dream, you'd allow me to see how she'd really looked like. I know how her voice sounds like, and the way she walks. It might sound foolish, but I've fallen in love with her. This is one of the reasons why I immediately agreed to join you to fulfill the prophecy. I need to get my revenge on Soo Man, and I need to find the girl in my dreams," Kai gave Kae In a determined face, and his mouth was shaped into a firm line. "We'll do that. You have my word, Kai," Kae In promised, smiling brightly at Kai. "Of course we will. With our dynamic group, there's no way we'd fail," Kai replied, nodding his head. "Oppa, how'd you get into this mess? With stealing, I mean," Kae In asked curiously. Since they were on the subject of getting to know each other, she might as well ask. "I'm homeless; been that way since I was seven. My parents were murdered by Soo Man's minions for objecting his position as king," Kai explained, folding his arms on top of the table, "I escaped, and enhanced my powers. I depended solely on my powers to keep myself alive. The life of a thief is the only life I've ever known." Kai sighed while looking up at Kae In to see her reaction. Kae In felt the utmost sympathy for Kai; she couldn't imagine having to scrounge around for food while earning a bad reputation in the process. "I must thank you for coming and fulfilling the prophecy. I want to take down Soo Man; I'll do whatever it takes," Kai said confidently, raising a fist up childishly. Kae In laughed at Kai's gesture and held up her own fist to copy Kai. "We'll finish him," Kae In replied with a grin as she and Kai broke out into laughter.

 

As soon as the train arrived at District Eleven, the group began discussing their game plan. Baekhyun and Chanyeol proposed that they get straight to finding Kris, who was the only one they needed to find in District Eleven, and then catch the train to District Ten. Kae In argued that she wanted to take her time and do a bit of sightseeing, and Kai agreed, saying that he was hungry again. The group ended up going with Kae In's plan, mostly because she was hard headed and would go with her plan anyway. While the group walked through a pathway of shops, a black limousine that was driving in the middle of the pathway caught their eyes. "Stand aside! It's King Soo Man!" yells erupted from the crowd of people. Almost immediately, the crowd suddenly separated themselves on both sides of the pathway, leaving space for the vehicle to pass by. Everyone kneeled onto the ground and bowed their head facing the floor, as if they were worshipping a God. "Guys, get down!" Kae In called down from the floor, gesturing them to copy her. "What? Why? I won't obey that bastard, and never will!" Kai opposed, Chanyeol and Baekhyun nodding their heads in agreement. Kae In groaned in frustration, "He'll kill you! Get down now!" Kae In huffed as she pulled all of their arms towards the floor, being forced to bow before the mighty king.

 

Kae In grew stiff as her eyes followed the tires while they moved past her. Once the car was out of sight, everyone stood up and continued with what they were doing before, as if nothing happened. "Thanks a lot, now I feel like I'm one of his disgusting, good-for-nothing slaves," Kai grumbled. "I'm his personal servant. I wouldn't have found out about the prophecy if I wasn't, so quit complaining and start looking around for Kris," Kae In scolded, shutting up Kai immediately.  As the group continued walking down the pathway, they began to notice all of the store owners were closing up their businesses, as if they were done operating for the day. The sun wasn't even close to setting; why were they closing their stores so early? "Why is everyone closing their stores so early?" Kae In asked the store owner closest to them. "Ah, you must be from a different district. As soon as the sun begins to set, a man and a dragon fly across the district. The district turns into a ghost town as the two come into district territory, looking for food. You might want to check into a hotel as soon as possible," the clerk explained, locking up the store.

 

Kae In shared a room with her brother while Kai bunked with Baekhyun in the room next to theirs. While Kae In was waiting for Chanyeol to finish showering, she read more about Kris in the book. "The dragon is a mere tool serving Kris. The dragon represents Kris's soul, and the color of the dragon’s scales is based on Kris's mood.  He summons the dragon, and depends on it when in need of its vigorous powers. Once summoned, the dragon will devour any living thing it crosses paths with, strengthening Kris's soul. When Kris doesn't use the dragon to fight against others, he uses his power of speed and flight." Kae In was a bit confused with the purpose of the dragon, but at least she knew enough to form an expectation. "Find anything useful?" Chanyeol asked after he came out of the shower. He rummaged through his backpack to find a set of clothes. "After you change into clothes, we're heading out. We can only find Kris at this time of day," Kae In said sternly, closing the book and standing up. "Ugh, I just showered," Chanyeol complained, sighing as he continued to look for a change of clothes.

 

After literally dragging the two sleeping beauties from their room, they stepped outside. "Can't you and Chanyeol just find him? I'm really tired . ." Baekhyun yawned, Kai nodding in agreement as he rubbed his eyes cutely. "We need to stick together. Plus, you know Kris better than I do, so stop being such babies!" Kae In scolded, shutting up Baekhyun and Kai right away. It was chilly outside, in the dark night. Plus on top of that, there was no one in sight. Not a single sound was heard other than the sight breeze of the night. Baekhyun was starting to get really frustrated after only five minutes of walking and wandering around. "Kris Wu, if you don't come out right now, you won't see the light of day ever again!" Baekhyun screamed, his voice echoing throughout the empty path. As if Kris had heard Baekhyun's whining, a soft thud was heard from the distance. Everyone froze as they listened to the thud grow louder and louder. Everyone's eyes diverted to the golden dragon that walked out of the alley to their left, and onto the path the group was standing on. No one moved; they all watched the dragon stare back at them. A man stepped out of the alley and onto the pathway, standing behind the dragon. "Looks like dinner," Kris smirked, looking up at the dragon. "Whoa, Kris, wait a min-" Kai shouted, but was interrupted. The dragon roared, breaking the silence. "Aw, guys, I don't think he's open for negotiations," Kai mumbled under his breath.