Cold Weather and Xiumin's Warm Heart

District Twelve

Kris, Kai, Kae In, and Chen sat in one booth while Suho, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo sat in the booth behind them. Kris comforted Kae In by hugging her and patting her head soothingly, but it didn't change the fact that Yoseob was dead. Kae In soon fell asleep in Kris's arms, and not too long after, Kai knocked out due to lack of energy from the use of his powers earlier. "Poor Kae In . ." Chen sighed, resting his hands on top of his fists while looking down at Kae In. "Now we have more reasons to take down Sooman. That's all there is," Kris replied with a slight sigh, Kae In's cheek, "let's just make sure we don't let that happen to any of us."

 

The group began piling on whatever extra coats they had, because the closer the train got to District Eight, the more snow was coming down. Chen, being intrigued by the ancient book, flipped through the pages to find more about District Eight. "Make sure everyone has enough layers on them," Chen said to the whole group, "it's probably -40 degrees outside, and by the looks of the snowstorm, it doesn't seem like it'll stop anytime soon." By then, Kae In had awoken, and rubbed her puffy eyes so that her eyes could adapt to the light. "Kae In, are you okay?" Kris asked, looking down at her. "Yeah, of course I am," Kae In sighed, smiling a small smile at Kris. It pained Kris to see that small smile; he knew she was trying really hard to move on and focus on the prophecy. "These coats are for you and Kai. It's too hot in here to put them on, but once the train stops, you and Kai have to put them on," Chen explained, patting the pile of coats on top of the table. Kae In then looked out the window to see that snow was falling quickly from the sky. "I don't think Kae In and Chanyeol need that many coats. Their powers are fire, so naturally their powers would kick in and keep them warm from the inside," Kris explained. Chen had to think for a moment, but he eventually understood Kris's explanation. He took one coat from Kae In's pile and threw it behind him so that the other half of the group could catch it. "Give any extra coats to Kyungsoo and Suho," Chen ordered, and Kyungsoo instantly grabbed it from Suho's hands. "Why do Suho and Kyungsoo need it more than the rest of us?" Kae In asked curiously. "Well, your weakness is water, since your power is fire, correct? Suho's power is water, and Kyungsoo's is earth. Snow freezes water and the earth, which explains why Suho and Kyungsoo need to be as warm as possible," Kris explained, standing up a bit to check on the other group. "Then I hope we'll find Xiumin soon . . I wouldn't want any of them to freeze," Kae In sighed, looking out the window. 

 

The group had already slipped on their coats before the train arrived at the stop. Everyone shivered as soon as the snowstorm's wind hit their faces. "Oh, ! C-Can w-we meet you guys at the n-next district? I don't th-think we'll make it," Suho stuttered, wrapping his scarf more tightly around his mouth. "No, we stick together. We don't know if Sooman's guards will catch you, nor do we have phones," Chanyeol replied, causing Suho and Kyungsoo to grumble. Not many people were on the train, which made sense. Who would want to come here? "Okay, there's a small town towards the left, but Xiumin seems to be towards the right," Kae In explained, pointing at Xiumin's page in the book. Everyone crowded around to look. "W-We should check i-in to a hotel f-first," Kyungsoo suggested, Suho nodding frantically in agreement. "Sorry guys, but like Chanyeol said, we have to stick together. We're going that way," Baekhyun said, shaking his head, as he pointed to the right of the train station, where there was a small house in the distance.

 

Suho and Kyungsoo were whimpering the whole time the group had to walk through the snowstorm towards the house, which annoyed everyone. "I-I . ." Kyungsoo gasped. He couldn't finish his sentence, however, for he had already fallen onto the snow. "Kyungsoo!" Kae In cried, running back to hold up Kyungsoo. "He f-fainted," Suho whispered, shaking his head to keep himself focused. Kai volunteered to carry him on his back, and they proceeded with their walk. Not even five minutes after they continued, Suho was next to faint. Kae In and Chanyeol each took off one of their coats and put them on Kyungsoo and Suho, and then continued with their walk. "Almost . . there . ." Kai huffed, loud enough for everyone to hear. They were, in fact, close to the house. It was a beautiful, two-story house which seemed to have all of its lights on. The snowstorm seemed to quicken, and snow was falling faster than before. Kae In squinted to see a figure about a few feet away from them, with his arms raised. Kae In looked up to see a tornado of snow spinning, and she stepped back when she realized it was coming towards them. 

 

"Oh ," Kris mumbled under his breath as he just stared at the tornado while it came spinning towards them. Kae In and Chanyeol threw their gloves off in time to hit the snow tornado with fire. Water droplets flew everywhere as a result of the fire melting the snow. Not too long after Chanyeol and Kae In used their powers, the snowstorm suddenly stopped. There was no more wind; no more snow. The sky was clear, although no sun shined. It was silent. The figure in the distance did not move, let alone say a word.  "Xiumin!" Chen and Kris yelled. Silence. "Xiumin-ah!" Kae In called, staring at the figure. To everyone's surprise, the figure began moving. It began walking, but then started running. The closer the figure got, the more it seemed to look like Xiumin. "It . . it really is you," Xiumin panted, grinning from ear to ear, "Chen . . Kris . . Kae In!" He lunged towards Kae In and hugged her.

 

After Xiumin's quick little reunion party, he led everyone to the small town on the other side. With the snowstorm gone, it was a lot warmer than it was before, but it was still pretty cold. "What the hell was that snowstorm for, Xiumin?! I'm freezing!" Baekhyun complained, rubbing his arms. "Oh, it's Baekhyun. I couldn't notice your small face with your coat hood on top of your head. Oh, and that's Chanyeol, Kai, Kyungsoo, and Suho! You guys all made it! Are . . Suho and Kyungsoo okay?" Xiumin asked perkily. He seemed really innocent. "Suho and Kyungsoo are weak towards your power, Xiumin. They fainted while we were trying to find you," Chen explained, and Xiumin's face instantly lit up. "Oh my, I completely forgot! That snowstorm by the way, was my doing because I needed to drive away all these annoying people that came to my house; said I was under arrest for rebelling against the king. Ridiculous, isn't it?" Xiumin chuckled, shaking his head, "It's funny because I haven't left my house in years! Goodness, what could I have done at home that would be considered rebelling against the king? Watching tv?" Xiumin was unusually preppy and cheerful, which sort of disturbed Kae In. How could he act like this in the sheer cold? . . . Oh, right. "Look Mr.Sunshine, I am literally going to collapse if you don't lead us to a hospital; Kyungsoo isn't as light as he looks," Kai sighed, struggling to keep up with everyone. "Well why didn't you say so! The hospital's this way," Xiumin chimed. He went behind Kai, took Kyungsoo in his arms and threw him onto his back, and raced in front of the group to lead them towards the hospital. "Sooo . . is anyone else disturbed by Xiumin's unusual happiness?" Chen asked as he and everyone else watched Xiumin skip towards a big, ten-story building.