New Addition

District Twelve

After Chanyeol pulled away, all three caught up a bit, telling Chanyeol how they've been doing. Baekhyun brought up the topic of the prophecy, gesturing Kae In to show him the book and asking if he'd take part in it; even if it meant leaving his shop to help look for the rest of the group. "Lee Soo Man took my family away from me. If it means getting revenge on the bastard, I'll do whatever it takes," Chanyeol gave his answer with a determined face. After Chanyeol took all the money from the cash register and locked up the shop, the three headed towards the District Marketplace. They were going to need to stock up on supplies if they were going on a long journey. They bought backpacks for each one of them, and bought as much food and medicine they could hold. When Kae In reached for an apple at a fruit stand, she felt a sudden rush of wind from her right. She looked over, but nothing was there. She looked back down at the apple, only to see it wasn't there anymore. "Huh?" Kae In wondered aloud, scratching the back of her head. "Where's that apple that was in front of you?" the store clerk asked, widening his eyes. "It just disappeared when I reached for it! I'm not lying!" Kae In explained, hoping the clerk would believe her. "Ugh, it's that thief again!" the clerk shook his head and sighed. "Thief?" Baekhyun questioned, raising an eyebrow. "He's known as the District Shadow. No one really knows what he looks like, since he's really fast and uses his power of teleportation to steal food," the clerk explained, keeping an eye on the crowd.

 

"We need to find him. That's Kai," Baekhyun told Kae In and Chanyeol. "Kai is ten steps away from us!" Chanyeol called without looking up from the book, "Wait, now it's five hundred - no, twenty - wait, fifteen . ."  The group looked around, trying to find Kai; but it was kind of hard when there were so many people crowding the pathway. Kae In looked up at Baekhyun, who seemed to be staring at the booth across from them. "Baekhyun, what-" Kae In was going to ask what was up, but before she could finish her question, Baekhyun just took off. "Oppa!" Kae In called, grabbing Baekhyun's arm as she followed him. She didn't want to lose sight of Baekhyun, especially in this crowd. Chanyeol followed quickly, his hand on top of Kae In's shoulder. Kae In didn't have a chance to ask anything, except to watch Baekhyun. "Kai, it's me, Baekhyun," Baekhyun said softly, reaching out to grab Kai's arm. As soon as Kai turned around, Baekhyun blinded him with a quick flash of light from his free hand.

 

Kai cried out, wincing as he balled his hands into fists and covered his eyes. "Baekhyun, where are we going?" Kae In and Chanyeol asked at the same time, sighing when Baekhyun didn't answer. Baekhyun dragged Kai to an empty room in a tavern, and guided him to sit down. "Baekhyun, was that really necessary? You hurt him," Kae In sighed, sitting next to Kai as she attempted to check if he was okay. The second Kai felt her touch, he jumped, and Kae In pulled her hand back. "Kai, don't disappear on us. We need you," Chanyeol said as he and Baekhyun sat down across from Kai and Kae In. Kai didn't respond. He was still covering his eyes, not wanting to open them in fear of pain. "Jongin-sshi," Kae In said softly, leaning forward to see if Kai was peeking behind his fists. Kai turned his head once he heard his name. "Kae In?" Kai spoke. He let his arms drop on the table, but still squinting his eyes shut. The three looked at Kai, wondering why he knew Kae In's name.

 

"I knew you'd come for me someday. I've had dreams about this moment," Kai mumbled, "but I never dreamt that my hyung would blind me." The three laughed, Baekhyun apologizing afterward. From Kai's explanation, he remembered his past life. "You're much more beautiful in person," Kai said, barely above a whisper. Kae In looked up at Kai only to see him staring back at her with those alluring eyes of his. Kae In simply blushed, looking down at her hands to hide her face. "Now's not the time to try to get laid, Kai. We have serious business to take care of," Baekhyun laughed, breaking the short awkward silence. Chanyeol placed the book in front of Kai, opening it to the page of the prophecy. Kai had to squint his eyes in order to read it, since the effects of Baekhyun's attack still lingered, but Kai made the best of what he could do. Kai broke out into a smile as soon as he finished reading. "Does this mean we'll all be together again?" he asked excitedly, receiving a happy nod from Chanyeol and Baekhyun. "Well let's go! What are we waiting for?" Kai jumped out of his seat, now clearly healed from his eye pain. "Whoa whoa whoa, hold your horses. Aren't you starving? I know I am - I haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon," Chanyeol laughed at Kai's impatient behavior. "Oh yeah . ." Kai mumbled, clutching his stomach as he sat back down. Everyone laughed, shaking their heads at the new childish addition to their group.