Hard Work Pays Off

District Twelve

Sehun didn't adjust quickly to seeing people after nine years of being in his home by himself. People hadn't seemed to notice that the rough winds had ceased, so it would be best to leave instead of being caught in the midst of a celebration. Sehun was uncomfortable enough as it was; leaving his home and going on a journey with his friends was definitely a turning point in his life. First thing in the morning, everyone headed for the train station. Sehun felt more comfortable sitting with just Luhan, so everyone else just settled randomly. Kae In was sitting next to Kai, with Suho and Xiumin sitting across from them. They were in the midst of discussing who was the last person they had to get, and what they had to expect in District Five. "So, Tao . . ." Xiumin sighed, flipping through the book. "District Five is hard to describe . . it's sort of old fashioned. Lack of industrialization; a complete opposite of the district we just left. I'm pretty sure they don't have electricity, and the only form of industrialization they have is their water system. Kyungsoo was telling me that Sooman was planning to reconstruct the whole district and have it be just as industrialized as every other district," Suho explained as everyone listened. "Great, we can't use Luhan's credit card then . ." Chen sighed, clicking his tongue. "I don't think we have to worry about it. If you can't pay in cash, they'll still give you a room; with a condition, of course," Suho replied as everyone looked at him carefully, "they only have one hotel in that district, since they don't get many tourists. If you help them with their job, they see it as another way of payment for a room." A few groans erupted from the group. "You're making us do work?" Luhan whined, slouching in his seat. "Yes, Luhan, for once in your life, you're going to have to earn something without the help of your fancy credit card," Baekhyun replied, causing everyone but Luhan to laugh.

 

After Suho had talked to the owner about working in exchange for a room, two to each, the owner agreed to Suho's offer without any hesitation. "I'm not getting any younger, and my kids keep running off to escape their obligations of helping me. All of you had arrived at the right time; you've answered my prayers! If it's alright, can you come downstairs as soon as you're done settling in your rooms? I have many things to do, and it would be best to get these jobs out of my hands as soon as possible," the owner explained, and with that the group nodded and headed to the second floor. "Kae In's bunking with me! I called it!" Kai exclaimed, wrapping his arm around Kae In's shoulder. Kris shot him a look. "Just as long as there's no funny business," Chanyeol quirked an eyebrow at Kai. "Oh please, hyung! I'm not like Kris," Kai chuckled, looking at Kris with an amused look before he stuck the key into his room's keyhole and walked inside.

 

After everyone had unpacked and was ready to go, they all met downstairs with the owner, who was on the other side of the counter. "Since there's twelve of you, you'll be separated into three groups of four to do one job. Sound easy enough?" the old man asked, and all twelve of them nodded. "One, two, three, and four," the old man had pointed at Sehun, Luhan, Kae In, and Kai, "please come with me, and I'll gladly show you what I'd like you to do. The rest of you, please wait here." The old man led the group of four to a room that seemed like a restaurant. "Our profits mostly come from here, the restaurant. It's kind of a side thing I created a year after the hotel was made. Anyway, the restaurant's not open yet, but once it is, many people will show up. The four of you will be waiters, tending to the customers. If you have any questions, just ask the chef. I'll leave now and be on my way," the old man explained, walking out of the room and back into the lobby.

 

Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Lay, and Kris were assigned to clean up all the floors on the first floor, and Chen, Xiumin, Suho, and Kyungsoo were assigned to clean up rooms of customers that have checked out. Sehun, Luhan, Kae In, and Kai had the hardest job. As easy as it seemed the first half hour, more and more people started arriving as soon as the day went on. Everyone's payment would be paid off once their job was done, and the restaurant didn't close until 6:OO at night. "Kai can you get that table? I need to bring these dishes to the back," Kae In called to Kai, who just nodded. Luhan helped her bring the dirty dishes to the back, where two workers washed the dishes. As the day went on, more people left, and less people arrived. Soon, there were only about four full tables. Kai locked the doors and flipped the open sign, making sure no one else would come inside the restaurant. Sehun was cleaning up a table, and Luhan and Kae In were taking orders from the remaining tables. Soon, every remaining customer had left. Kai and Kae In were cleaning up, and Sehun and Luhan went to the kitchen to help wash the dishes. Kae In was wiping the table with a wet rag while thinking to herself. "If Kai really did dream of my face, that must mean that I was technically his escape from reality before we found him . . I promised him we'd find her . . and we did. But does that mean he loves me? Luhan said . . aish. I think I love both Kris and Kai-" "Hey, are you okay?" Kae In jumped at the sudden intrusion to her thoughts. Kai stood next to her, quirking an eyebrow. "You've been wiping one spot of the table for a few minutes now. Are you thinking about something?" Kai asked, looking concerned. "Ah, yeah, I was just thinking. Kinda got distracted," Kae In laughed, wiping the whole table before going back to the kitchen to see if any more help was needed. Kai gave her a weird look before following her.

 

Kae In and Kai told Sehun and Luhan to head off to their rooms, and that they'd take care of the last of the dishes. Sehun and Luhan thanked the pair countless times before racing each other to their room. Kae In and Kai laughed at their childish behavior as they continued the boys' work. "Kae In, aren't you scared?" Kai asked, breaking the silence between them. "Scared of what?" Kae In asked, glancing up at Kai for a split second before looking back at the plate she was washing. "Well, Tao's the last person we have to find. After that, then . . well . . we have to face Sooman and his army." "I know. Are you scared? I mean, I haven't really thought about it, really. I've just been so focused on gathering everyone together that I haven't really thought about it . ." "I'm . . not scared. Well, I'm just a bit antsy, that's all. I just finally get to meet the man face-to-face; the man that took my parents away from me when I needed them the most." Kae In sighed, looked at him sympathetically, and looked back down, "We all want him dead, Oppa. He's done something to all of us. And I'm sure we're not the only ones he hurt." "You're right." The two went back to being silent for a while until Kai brought up a question he had been meaning to ask Kae In. "Kae In-ah . . do you really like Kris?" Kae In kept quiet for a little bit until she decided she had to answer, "Yes." Kai didn't show any signs of emotion at all. He didn't even look at Kae In. "Then that means I don't have a chance with your heart, do I?" Kai chuckled, smiling a weak smile without looking up from the sink. "Don't say that," Kae In said immediately, "I'm just . . I'm actually caught between you and Kris." Kai turned his head at Kae In, who just sighed. "We're done. Lets' go back to our room and rest, okay? Who knows; maybe Chanyeol oppa will want to look for Tao right away," Kae In said, smiling at Kai before she stepped away to take off her apron.

 

After Kai had made sure they had locked up the restaurant, they made their way into the lobby. "Aish, I'm so tired . ." Kae In yawned, craving for a nap. She widened her eyes at Kai when he stood in front of her and kneeled a bit. "Oppa, what-" "Get on my back. I'll carry you since you're so tired." Kae In blinked, but accepted Kai's generous offer. "Yah, you better not drop me; otherwise I'll never forgive you!" Kae In warned, wrapping her arms around his neck as Kai stood up. "Aigoo, calm down, will you? We may have finished our job, but I'm not as tired as you are," Kai chuckled, making his way up the stairs. Kae In was pretty much drifting off to sleep, but was suddenly awoken when Kai had missed the last step onto the second floor. Kai tumbled forward, and Kae In was about to fall on top of him, but caught herself into a push-up position; only, her knees were on the floor. Kae In and Kai widened their eyes as they stared back at each other. They were literally millimeters away from each other's face; oh, what a taboo.

 

Updated! ^ ^ I was going to originally post this on New Years Day, but I didn't think that I was going to my dad's friend's house to celebrate. Ugh it was horribly boring as hell. . ___ . ; ; anyway, who do you want Kae In to end up with?! I'm kind of undecided as of right now. LOL. dzgiirl96: Sehun has been added to your party! (/pokemon pun) Kekeke, it actually took me a while to come up with how they find Tao, but I got everything planned. c; kpopfanluv: sehun the innocent baby of the group. <3 thank you so much for the support! c": foreverachild: you guessed it right! LOL. YES OMG I didn't tihnk I hinted at Hunhan hard enough. xD I hinted at Kaisoo and Baekyeol in the past chapters also. Maybe another pairing, since I can't really remember. LOL. AHer-KpopLover: thanks for the support! <3

Love always,