One.

Capture

Joon's p.o.v

            I shuffled closer to him he was just there chasing after leaves as they left the pile he had made in the grass. The almost setting sun beamed on a quarter of his face, bringing light into his dark brown eyes and highlighting his smooth seemingly flawless skin. He really was perfect in my mind, for my film at least. So I approached him, one hand in my pocket, one gripping my camera. “Yah Kid” I called just a few feet away, he stopped and his eyes turned coldly on me. “Who are you calling kid?!” He barked harshly. His voice was a lot shriller than I expected but even more close he just looked like a character from an anime. My eyes widened at his reaction to me calling him out. I wasn’t wrong right? He couldn’t be the same age as me or older. “Mianhe.” I tried retracting what I had said and just smiled brightly at him.

                He clearly wasn’t moved by the apology, he just stared straight through me before going back to raking the rebellious leaves. He didn’t care about being polite so neither did I. “Look, just let me film you for like an hour and I’ll even pay.” The look he gave me after I’d said that was pure disgust I could tell he had misunderstood what I was saying. “Yah! Don’t look at me like that, I’m a film student I have to make a short film for my class or I’ll fail the semester.” Not that it was any of his business but I just wanted to reason with him, something I never do. He just ignored me. I noticed it getting darker but he kept raking those stupid leaves. His breath was in streams in front of him. “Hey,” I called to him one last time. “How long are you going to be out here? It’s getting dark.” A strong wind blew through me. “and it’s freaking freezing out here, aren’t your parents expecting you?” I asked. The wind kept picking up, more orange and red leaves fell from the trees. He would never been able to tame them all, not by himself and not before night fall. “Wouldn’t it be smarter to just wait until all the leaves fall off of the trees before you rake them?”

                Ignored again. “I can’t go home until I’m done with whatever leaves are down here or I don’t get paid. Just stay out of it.” He stated. He had to be freezing, not that it was my problem but his nose and cheeks were turning rosy and he was shivering. The wind was going to blow right through him. I didn’t actually care about how he was feeling I just didn’t want him to get sick if I had any chance of filming him in the future he had to be healthy. I put the camera away and decided to help, if he would let me. The things I do for my work…  “You do know this isn’t the best neighborhood to just be hanging out and raking leaves all night, you could get hurt as pretty as you are.” I commented without really any thought. I snatched the rake from his hand and began shoveling them together in large piles. It really isn’t a job that can be done with just one person. “Get the bags, hurry up.” I said pointing to the box of garbage bags he had placed on a nearby park bench. He fetched them, eyes wide at my demands. “Open it!”

I commanded before loading one bag with leaves then another until all the leaves on the ground were gone. “Aish what a waste of time.” I huffed with my hands on my hips. All the leaves from the trees would’ve fallen by morning. “Well now you can get paid and get home safely.” I said, grinning a bit then stepped forward. I would have another chance to film him, without a doubt. “Good night.”

He just stood there, frozen as the wind blew through him. “Go home.” I told him, patting his back before walking away. 

Beauty, that’s my title. A film on natural beauty.

                Thunder’s p.o.v

I got to go home a lot earlier than I had originally expected so even given the circumstances with that weird hyung I was grateful. I slipped into the alley and watched my back as I unlocked the door to my house just behind the corner convenience store. “Omma?” I called after getting inside and kicking off my shoes. I heard ghastly coughs but then I heard her call out to me and I sighed. “Omma, I’m home.” I called again on my way to her where she laid on the couch, wrapped in several blankets. She looked more and more grey each day. “Oh, Doongie.” She struggled to say, through mild coughs that became more violent. “How are you my son?” She asked, pulling her arms from under her blanket and cupping my face. She was ice cold even with all the blankets’ warmth. “I’m fine ma, how are you? Your hands are freezing, I’ll have to get you some mittens to keep them warm. I’ll have to get another job, maybe the grocery store is hiring.” I thought deeply. “No, nonsense don’t worry about me, you’re just a kid. There’s no need to work so much. “  Just like a mom to say that but if I didn’t work she wasn’t going to get any better.

                “Omma, if I don’t work how else will I get all the things you need? And for me-“”I told you the insurance would cover you.” I paused to rub my hands over hers and blow warm air on them. “I checked with the insurance they won’t cover me and that’s okay I just need to work a bit more.” Her eyes became half lidded. She’d resigned to me. “If I don’t work who will?” I reasoned. She nodded to me her eyes were so glossy. “Did you make any today Doongie?” I shook my head and her eyes widened. “Well I did, but by the time I’d gotten rid of all the bags of leaves and returned the rake I borrowed the shop was already closed I’ll have to go tomorrow.” She sighed. “Doongie by morning all the leaves would have fallen again, they won’t pay you for your work today. I know you’re working hard but you have to work much faster. For the both of our sakes” I frowned. “Okay omma.”

                I stood from my knees and headed to our small kitchen and opened the fridge. I was hit in the face with the stench of spoiled food. “Mom why didn’t you tell me the bulb in here had gone out? Have you eaten today?”

“No my son Byunghee stopped by today and took whatever was any good.”

“I told you to stop letting that man in, what good is he? He takes all our food.” The dim light in the center of the ceiling flickered before going out with a hiss.

“Oh, Doongie do we need a new bulb in the ceiling too?” “No mom, the power’s out.”

All I could here was the cats wrestling in the alleyway. Being home was so exhausting. “Mom, I’ll try to get you something to eat tomorrow, and probably another job. I’m tired now, will you be okay?” I asked sorrowfully. It was dark, but I could tell she was fighting tears. I walked over and kissed her forehead. “Good night omma, I love you.” I said before sliding onto the floor and wiggling under a thin blanket.

“I hate seeing my son suffering because of me, it’s killing you.” She sobbed in the dark.

“Don’t worry so much omma, I’ll be fine.” I told her in a final tone. We would be okay.