Chapter 16

Life As A TS Trainee

Mary's POV~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4CTULG8tM Taeyeon-Closer (Piano Ver.)

Winter break finally started and my plan was pretty much to stay home and rest from all the training. I haven't been able to be with halmeoni and Youngjin, even Jonghwan. Ever since that day he came drunk, I haven't seen him, not even once. I was sleeping in for the day when I heard my door creak open. I looked and saw Youngjin standing there with a blue look.

"Youngjin, what's wrong?" I asked as he hung his head low.

"Jonghyun...he looks sick," he softly said on the verge of crying.

"Who's Jonghyun?" I asked as he shot his eyes up at me.

"It's my goldfish I named after Jonghwan and Daehyun, remember?" he asked as I remembered that day of the festival, so I nodded and sat up on my bed. "Noona, come look at him and see if he's sick."

"But I don't know anything about fishes-"

"Please noona," he said and pretty much dragged me out of bed. I went into the kitchen where he was placed in and it looked fine.

"He seems fine, just sleepy probably like me," I said as he looked up to me. I brushed Youngjin's hair back and smiled down at him. "Since I'm awake, lets go get some hot chocolate down at Mr. Jung's coffee house."

"YES~!" he exclaimed and ran to his room to get his coat. I grabbed my coat as well and we headed out to the coffee house. Once we entered the place, we immediately saw Daehyun there...working?

"Welco-" he said, but stopped once he saw us. "M-Mary?"

I blinked at him and looked at what he was wearing. He set the tray down and took off the apron. "Uhm, I..."

"There's nothing for you to nervous about," I said and sat down at an empty table. "But I didn't know you worked here."

"Just from time to time I do," he said and sat down across from me. We started talking when someone called for him. "I've got to get back to work, I'll see you when break's over."

I nodded and sipped my hot chocolate he brought awhile ago. There was a tug at my sleeve and I looked to see Youngjin blankly look at me.

"Do you need something?" I asked as he shook his head.

"Whenever I see Daehyun with you, he's always happy. Do you make him happy?" he asked as I laughed.

"He's always happy, why do you think that?" I asked as he shrugged.

"He seems to like you a lot, because when he's with Youngjae hyung or even with the other noonas, he doesn't smile like that to them," he said as I blinked at him. How can a five year old kid be so smart with his words? He's been hanging out with Youngjae too much during training.

"He's smile at them all the time-"

"If you look, he's even smiling while working," Youngjin said, pointing to Daehyun. I looked at saw him wiping a table while smiling to himself. "I think he likes you. Hana noona told me that when someone is always smiling when they're with the person they like, then that's how you know."

"Hana told you that?" I asked as he nodded.

"Youngjae hyung also told me that Daehyun likes you," he said as I gasped.

"Why do they tell you all these things, but not me?! I'm their friend!" I pretty much, yelled. The coffee house was quiet, so yelling made it even more embarrassing.

"Maybe because I'm a better friend than you. They even told me that they like me more than you," Youngjin said with a grin. I huffed out a sigh and pinched his cheeks.

"Of course they would like you better because you're cute~" I said and got up from my seat. "Let's get going before halmeoni gets up."

We headed to the door when Daehyun stood in our way. "Take these with you. It's on the house."

"Uh, thank you," I said and he smiled. "I'll see around."

He nodded and just stood there. I blinked at him then headed out the door.

Daehyun's POV~

"Honey," my mother said, startling me. I looked at her as she gave me one of those mother smiles, like she knows something. "Isn't she the girl you brought here years ago?"

"And what if she is?" I asked as her smile was brighter.

"She's grown to be a beautiful women," she said. "Does she remember you?"

"What are you talking about?" I asked as she shrugged.

"Youngjae's been telling me some things between the two of you," she said with a wink as I felt my anger rise up.

"Why does Youngjae always tell you about my personal life?!" I yelled, making the customer's look at me.

"Does she remember your father and I?" she asked as I shook my head.

"Maybe she would if you guys interacted with her back then, but no, you guys just watched us from afar," I said annoyed. "And why did you guys even have to change this place to a coffee house, why can't it continue on being a cheese cake factory? I miss the cheesecakes!"

"Aigoo~ this child of mine keeps getting more childish," she pouted and pinched my cheeks. "Now get back to work."

I rolled my eyes on continued to work. Youngjae's so dead once I get back to the dorm.

Mary's POV~

It was the afternoon and my grandmother was getting ready for work. She looked pale and exhausted.

"Halmeoni, are you working today?" I asked as she nodded. "You don't look too well though. Stay home and rest."

"No, I can't do that," she said with a tired voice. "I have to work for money to provide for my grandchildrens."

"Halmeoni, we have enough food to keep us filled for a week and we have a bed and a roof. It's enough," I said as she shook her head.

"You don't understand Mary," she softly said and turned to the door. I grabbed her hand as they were cold and pulled them up to my cheek.

"I may not understand what you mean, but I do understand that you're getting tired. You need to stop and retire from what you're doing. You're not feeling well. If you continue then your health will worsen," I said with tears forming in my eyes. She gently soothed my face and smiled.

"Don't worry about me Mary and watch over Youngjin while I'm out," she said and left.

"Halmeoni," I softly said while looking at the closed door. I decided to go and follow her, so I brought Youngjin to stay with Daehyun at the coffee house.

"You'll be here all day right?" I asked Daehyun as he nodded.

"Why? Are you going somewhere?" he asked. I nodded and headed to the door when Youngjin grabbed my hand.

"Noona, you're not leaving me right? You're not running away?" he asked as I kneeled down.

"Noona will be back okay? I'll be out for a minute or two," I said and kissed his forehead. I looked up to Daehyun and smiled. "Watch him for me, I'll be back as soon as I'm done with my business."

"Don't worry about us," he said and I left the place. I knew where my grandmother worked, so I went there and immediately saw her. Since farming season was done, her job was to chop wood for the farmers. Everytime she lifted up the axe, her knees shook. I didn't know that my tears were running down, when I felt them dry up on my face.

"Halmeoni," I softly cried.

"Kid, what are you doing here? You're not supposed to be here," a voice said from behind. I turned and saw an elderly man with a unpleasent look.

"I was just-"

"Get lost, we're working here," he said with a firm tone. I nodded then looked back to my grandmother, who seemed to have noticed me. She stopped working and just looked at me. "Did you not hear me? Get lost!"

I jumped, frightened by his loud voice, so I walked away when my grandmother shouted out my name. I stopped and saw her run up to me.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, holding onto my shoulders.

"I was worried, so I came to check up on you," I said as she pulled me in for a hug.

"Don't come here ever again. The people here are strict and a lot of things happen here, it's not safe," she said as I nodded. "Where's Youngjin?"

"He's with a friend," I replied, hanging my head low.

"Go home and stay there. I'll buy something delicious on the way home," she said and walked away when I grabbed her arm.

"Can't we home now, together?" I asked as she shook her head.

"I'll get yelled at from the manager. You go on ahead," she said with a forced smile and walked away. I haven't noticed till now that she was partcially limping. I sniffed and headed back to the coffee house.

"Noona," Youngjin said, running up to me to give me a hug as soon as I entered. "What took you so long?"

"I was talking with someone," I softly said and looked up to Daehyun, walking towards me.

"Are you okay?" he softly asked with a concerned look on. I slightly nodded and hung my head low.

"How was he?" I asked him.

"He was good. We drew all day," he replied while ruffling Youngjin's hair.

"That's good. Well, thank you for watching him. We'll be heading out now," I said and headed to the door.

"Mary," Daehyun said, making me turn to look at him. He approached me and suddenly gave me a hug. "Stay strong and don't worry, everything will be okay."

Out of no where I started crying in his chest. "What do I do, oppa?"

I felt his hug get tighter and he kissed the top of my head. "Do what you need to do. I'll always be here to help you."

I cried harder and hugged him tighter. In order for me to do what I need to do, which is take care of halmeoni and Youngjin, then that means I have to give up this dream of mine...