Chapter 17

Life As A TS Trainee

Mary's POV~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T-c9VRti5c  SNSD-Forever (Music Box)
 
"Noona, Christmas is in 2 days~!" Youngjin shouted with excitement. "Are we going to exchange gifts this year?"
 
"We do every year," I said while brushing his hair back. 
 
"But last year, I only got a cup from halmeoni and a hand made bracelet from you," he said with a pout. I sighed and looked out the window. 
 
"Youngjin, you know that we're having trouble with money. We can't afford everything you want," I softly said. "Why? Were you not satisfied with our gifts last year?"
 
"I loved it! It came from you and halmeoni," he said with a warm smile. I smiled back and looked back out to the snow falling outside when there was knock at the door. I went to open it and appeared Jonghwan. 
 
"Oppa," I softly said as he gave a forced smile and entered. "What are you doing here?"
 
"I need to tell you something," he said, looking at me in the eyes. "Youngjin."
 
"Yes hyung?" he said from the living room. 
 
"Can you go play in your room? I'll come in a bit to play with you," Jonghwan said, not taking his eyes off me. Youngjin stood up and ran to his room with his toys. 
 
"So, what did you want to talk about?" I asked, taking a seat on the couch with him. He rested his elbows on his knees and rubbed his hands together. 
 
"I'm moving back to the US after Christmas," he said as I widened my eyes. 
 
"Y-you're moving, again?" I asked as he slowly nodded. "Why?"
 
"I need to focus on my studies and the only way to do that is to leave Korea," he replied. 
 
"But why can't you just focus on your studies here?" I asked, scooting closer to him. 
 
"Because...." he began. I waited for him to continue, only hearing him sigh. "Because of you."
 
"Me?" I asked as he nodded. "Did I do something wrong to make you leave?"
 
"That day when I came 'drunk.' I wasn't. I meant everything I've said to you that day. I fell in love with you, but it's not me you want. I didn't want my feelings for you get in between the relationship we have now, but I couldn't hold it in anymore. I don't want to leave again, but if I stay longer; all I could only think about is you and Daehyun," he replied, bringing shock to me. 
 
"I'm sorry," I softly said as he had tears in his eyes. 
 
"What are you sorry for?" he asked, not looking at me. "I should be the one sorry, that I fell in love with you."
 
"Oppa," I said as he sniffed and wiped his tears. We heard the door open and Youngjin stood there. 
 
"Hyung, when are you going to play with me?" he asked as I exchanged looks with Jonghwan. 
 
"I'll come in a bit buddy," he replied and so Youngjin closed the door. He looked at me with his teary eyes and held my hand. "Mary, no matter what, we'll always be friends. I may have caused our relationship to be more awkward, but I don't want to lose you as my friend."
 
I nodded and hugged him tight. "You'll always be my favorite oppa, just not the oppa I fell in love with."
 
He released the hug and looked me in the eyes. 
 
"Hyung~~~!!! Hurry~!!" we heard Youngjin's voice shout from the other side of his closed door. We both lightly chuckled and got up. 
 
"Shall we play together?" I asked as he nodded and so we headed into the room and played all night. 
 
~~Christmas Day~~
 
I didn't get halmeoni, Jonghwan and Youngjin anything special. This year, because I'm broke, I only bought them chains with their names on it. 
 
"Noona~!" Youngjin's shouted from the kitchen. "Halmeoni an I made cookies! Come and eat with us!"
 
I smiled and headed to them to see all these delicious, fresh baked cookies on a tray. 
 
"Why didn't you ask me to make them with you?" I pouted as he had an apologetic face on. I lightly giggled and ruffled his hair. "Next time, you better tell me."
 
"Yes noona," he said, saluting me. "Now eat this one. I made it~!"
 
I happily ate it and heard the doorbell. I went to get it and saw Jonghwan there with presents. 
 
"Merry Christmas Mary," he said with a smile. I thanked him and made room for him to enter. 
 
"Oh~ hyung!! Come eat the cookies I made with halmeoni," Youngjin said, dragging Jonghwan with him. I followed and we drunk warm milk while eating the cookies. 
 
Daehyun's POV~
 
What should I get for Mary? I walked around the store to find something good and memorable for her, but couldn't find anything when I was mesmerized by a beautiful box. It was white with fake diamonds on it and gold patterns; it was gorgeous and perfect for her. I bought it and opened it, to hear a song being played. It was really soothing and beautiful. I felt my phone buzz and received a text from Youngjae. 
 
Yo, come back to the dorm. We're exchanging gifts already!
 
I chuckled and took a taxi back to the dorm. I entered and saw my members sitting in a circle around the Christmas tree, which was in the middle of the room. I clicked the door behind me and all eyes turned to me. 
 
"Yah! Why are you so late?" Himchan scolded while dragging me to sit down next to him. 
 
"Did you do some last minute shopping for us?" Yongguk asked with an eyebrow raised. 
 
"Or perhaps Mary?" Youngjae teased as I felt my face heat up in embarrassment. 
 
"Oh hyung, what's in the bag?" Zelo asked with a playful smirk, playing along. 
 
"Yah, don't worry about this and lets just exchange gifts already," I said and so the gift exchanging began. 
 
Jonghwan's POV~
 
I colored with Youngjin while watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas when it was time to open our presents. We sat in the living room with our gifts and one by one we opened our presents, starting with halmeoni. 
 
"Omo, this scarf is gorgeous~" she said with sparkling eyes. "Thank you Jonghwan."
 
"You're welcome. Please do cherish it and wear it everyday since its getting colder," I relied, earning a kiss on the cheek from her. She opened Youngjin and Mary's gift and loved them all. Youngjin was the next one to open his and he loved them all too. He got new pairs of shoes from me, socks from halmeoni and a chain with his name on it from Mary. Next was Mary and her eyes glowed when she saw my gift. It was a necklace with the letter M chain. 
 
"Oppa," she softly said as I smiled. "You didn't have to buy this for me."
 
"I know, but I felt like I should buy you something as my gift of saying goodbye," I said as she her expression changed to a gloomy one. 
 
"You're leaving?" halmeoni asked as I nodded. "Why?"
 
"I'm focusing on my studies in the US," I replied as she slowly nodded in understanding. 
 
"Hyung, why do you need to leave? Can't you just stay with us forever?" Youngjin asked as I felt guilty. 
 
"I'm sorry buddy, I can't stay with you forever," I softly said and brushed his hair back. "Hyung will come back every Christmas to be with you."
 
"Promise?" he asked as I nodded and interlocked pinkies. It was my turn to open my gift and they were all small gifts. I didn't mind it though, I loved it all. I got handmade gloves from halmeoni, a small snowman keychain and a chain with my name on it. 
 
"If I knew you were leaving I would've made something better " halmeoni said as I shook my head. 
 
"This is more than enough for me, thank you halmeoni," I said and kissed her cheek. We watched a few more movies when it was time for me to head out. 
 
"I'll walk you out," Mary said as I grabbed my coat. I smiled and we both headed out. We got to the bottom of the steps and looked at each other. 
 
"I can walk from here," I said as she gave me a faint smile, then came closer to me, giving me a hug. I hugged her back when I heard her sniffling. "Mary..."
 
"Do you have to go?" she asked as I felt even more guilty. 
 
"I'm sorry," I softly said, hugging her tighter. "I'll come back to visit."
 
"You said that the last you time you, but you never came back to visit," she replied, crying into my chest. 
 
I sighed and released the hug, leaning my head down to eye level. "Mary, just promise me you'll become one of the best artist. Make me proud."
 
"Oppa," she cried while hanging her head low. I hugged her one last time before leaving her to cry. I slowly let my tears fall when I turned a corner and bumped into someone. I looked and widened my eyes. 
 
"Daehyun."