Chapter 5

Life As A TS Trainee

Mary's POV~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjW2vJo-qVo

After a few more hours of training, it was getting darker out and it was time to pack up. I was the last one to leave the room and held onto Youngjin's hand, heading out the company when I saw Daehyun leaning against a wall. He saw us and walked up to us. 
 
"I thought I'd wait for you two since its dark out," he said with a smile and grabbed Youngjin's free hand. "Shall we get going?"
 
We headed to the bus stop and waited. I stole a few glances here and there to see Daehyun and Youngjin laughing and playing with each other, which made me happy and get a warm feeling inside. The bus finally came and we got on, sitting next to each other. I played on my phone when I received a text from Jonghwan. 
 
Why didn't you tell me you were accepted into TS entertainment?!
 
I silently giggled and replied, I was planning on telling you anyways.
 
Lies he texted back. I rolled my eyes and looked out the window when I saw Daehyun looking at me through the window's reflection. I turned to look at him as he turned away and played with Youngjing when I received another text from Jonghwan. Why aren't you texting me back? I'm bored!
 
Then stay bored! I replied and we continued texting each other until our bus came to our stop. I followed behind Daehyun and Youngjin as Daehyun picked him up. He laid his head on Daehyun's shoulder and slowly closed his eye. 
 
"I can take him," I said as Daehyun shook his head. 
 
"It's fine. I'll walk you home first, then you can take him," he said with a warm smile and we walked in silence. We reached the steps to my house and I took Youngjin from him. 
 
"Thanks for walking us home," I said with a smile. 
 
"Anytime," he said and walked off. I watched him leave until he turned a corner and disappeared. I walked up the steps and unlocked the front door, walking in to see my grandmother sleeping on the couch. I set Youngjin in my room and covered him up with blankets. I went back to my grandmother and saw that she hadn't taken a shower yet. She worked at a farm or garden I should say. Her feet were dirty along with her hands. I went into the bathroom to pour warm water into a bucket and grabbed a wet cloth, then headed back to my grandmother. I gently began washing her feet first as she moved around a bit. I looked to her face and suddenly felt my heart break. She's working too hard for us.
 
After washing her feet, I moved onto her hands. 
 
"Halmeoni," I said in a hushed tone. "Don't overwork yourself. Your health isn't good, I'm getting worried."
 
I continued to wash her hand when I noticed she had a few cuts here and there. It really pained me to see her like this and without realizing it, my tears silently fell. I grabbed some ointment and applied it on her wounds and kissed both her hands. I gently wiped off some dirt on her precious face as well and brushed her gray hair back. I held onto her hand and fell asleep. 
 
Daehyun's POV~
 
I walked back to the dorm to see that the others haven't slept yet. Youngjae, Jongup and Zelo were playing Anipang on their iPads while Himchan and Yongguk were watching a movie. 
 
"Daehyun, why are you home so late?" Yongguk asked, not taking his eyes off the tv screen. 
 
"He was probably with Mary~" Youngjae sung with a grin on. 
 
"Mary?" they all chorused as I glared at Youngjae. 
 
"Is there something going on between you two?" Himchan asked with a playful grin. 
 
"There's nothing going on," I muttered under my breath and went into my room that I shared with Youngjae and Zelo. I flopped on my bed and stared up at the ceiling. "Who was she talking to that kept making her laugh and smile? Jonghwan?"
 
I looked at the teddy bear Mary gave me when we first met as kids. 
 
~~~FLASHBACK~~~
 
It was a rainy day and I was playing with my soccer ball when I noticed a little girl under a slide. She looked cold and scared, so I went up to her to see what was going on. 
 
"Hi there," I said as she looked up with red, puffy eyes. "Oh, are you okay?"
 
"Who are you?" she asked while hiccuping. 
 
"I'm Jung Daehyun, just call me Daehyunnie~" I said with a smile as she sniffed. "Why are you here alone?"
 
"Umma...Appa," she said taking a breath between those words. "They're fighting again."
 
"That's how adults are," I said as she shook her head. 
 
"Appa and umma never fight," she said sobbing now. I kneeled down and patted her head. 
 
"Don't cry, they'll make up sooner or later," I said. It was raining harder, so we were pretty much soaked wet. I grabbed her hand and took her to my family cheesecake shop. I grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around her shivering body. "You'll catch a cold."
 
She gave me a faint smile and sat on the chair uncomfortably. I went to grab a warm cup of hot chocolate and a piece of strawberry cake. 
 
"Uwah~ this is my favorite kind! Is this your family restaurant?" she asked as I nodded. She made an 'oh' face and sipped her drink. 
 
"Umma and Appa said I'd take over, but I don't want to. I want to grow up and be a singer," I then said as she gave me a shocked look. "I want to be on stage and show people my talent."
 
"That's cool," she said with a smile. I blushed and giggled. "Sing for me."
 
"I'm not that good of a singer though," I said with a pout as she giggled. I did it anyways and sung a song my mother would sing for me. 
 
"Uwah~ you're really good Oppa," she said as I blushed in embarrassment. "I'm sure someone would want you!"
 
I thanked her and played with my fingers. "I want to be a singer now!"
 
"You can! It's not that hard, I'm sure of it," I said and smiled brightly at her. 
 
"Let's make a promise," she said sticking her pinky out. "Promise each other that we'll both become singers together!"
 
I nodded and interlocked my pinky with hers. "You can take my necklace, so it can remind you about our promise."
 
I took my necklace off and wrapped it around her neck. She smiled and handed me her wet teddy bear. "And my teddy bear will remind you of our promise~!"
 
I smiled and we both laughed. We chatted for a bit and made our own songs when a woman walked in. 
 
"Mary, where have you been?" she asked, a bit too aggressive. Mary hung her head low and the woman, her mother I'm guessing, grabbed her hand and literally pulled her off the chair. "Let's go home now."
 
They both left the restaurant as I wanted to run after her, but my mother told me to not interfere. 
 
"Parents like that won't be able to raise their child. They'd probably end up abandoning them," my mother said shaking her head at the woman who had just come in. I clutched onto her teddy bear and just looked out the door to the empty, rainy street. 
 
"I hope she's still able to keep our promise," I softly said and hung my head low, heading up to my room. 
 
~~~END OF FLASHBACK~~~
 
"After all these years she was still able to keep it," I said and held tight onto the teddy bear. "But I wonder if her mother really abandoned her and Youngjin."