Chapter 26

Life As A TS Trainee

Mary's POV~

Your choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULFxq3C9f04 Tiffany-By Myself (Instrumental)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KXqJHKUZvQ Tiffany-By Myself (Not an instrumental)

Days have gone by and I've been seeing halmeoni every single day while I was still in the hospital. I was discharged recently and decided to go see halmeoni. I peeked inside her bedroom to see her sleeping with a gas mask on and her skin pale, almost transparent. I felt the tears fight to come out, but I forced it to stay in. I sat down next to her and caressed her face.

"Halmeoni," I softly said as there was no response. "I've thought about it for the past few days and I've finally accepted it. No matter how much I want you to be with me, to watch me grow and debut...I know you can't, but I do know that you'll be watching from above."

I slowly inhaled and watched her breath steadily. "Why does it have to be like this? Why can't everyone live for eternity and never age, like Peter Pan?"

"Because this is reality, not a fantasy," I heard a voice say from behind. I turned around and saw my father standing by the doorway. He walked up to me and brushed my hair back. "I want the fantasy just as much as you do Mary."

"I know," I softly said and held onto halmeoni's cold hands, lifting it up to my cheek. I looked at her and I could see her eyes slowly lift up. "Halmeoni."

"Mary...Minhyun-ah," she said in a raspy voice. It was barely audible. "Where's Youngjin?"

"The boys came to see Mary, but Youngjin wanted to hang out with them so he's with the boys out there," appa said as halmeoni slowly breathed.

"Go get him...I want you all here," she slowly said as appa went to go get him. Just in seconds Youngjin, Daehyun and the others walked in.

"Halmeoni!" Youngjin happily said, running up to her.

"Youngjin, be careful," appa said.

"My precious Youngjin," halmeoni said, brushing his soft hair back. "You're such a good boy."

"I know halmeoni~" he said with a bright smile, but that smile didn't fit the atmosphere.

"Mary, came here," she said as I took smalls step to her. She grabbed my hand and smiled, making me want to burst into tears. I knew what was going to happen. "Take care of Youngjin and your father for me."

"H-halmeoni..." I said, holding in the tears.

"Promise you will," she said as I nodded. "Also, promise me that you'll grow into becoming a beautiful singer...don't you ever quit and continue to work hard...for me."

"Halmeoni..." I said with a tear falling and my lip trembling. She smiled weakly and wiped away the tear for me.

"Your appa will be taking care of you two now...you can finally be with him," she softly said. I shook my head and hugged her.

"Halmeoni," I cried as she brushed my hair.

"Minhyun-ah, take care of the two. Make sure Youngjin grows up to study well and make sure Mary becomes a legendary singer," halmeoni said with a soft laugh. "Don't let them give up."

"Eomeoni, I won't let you down," appa said and kissed her forehead.

"I love you all," halmeoni said and I knew she was crying. "I love you all so much..."

I heard the heart monitor slow down and halmeoni's breathing slow down. I released the hug and widened my eyes. I looked her in the eyes as it was red from crying and slowly, her eyelids closed.

"Eomeoni!" appa cried. "Eomeoni!!"

"Halmeoni!" Youngjin cried, grabbing onto her arm. I stood there and looked at her lifeless body, feeling pain take over again. It was like time had stopped for me, everything was in slow motion, voices sounded like they were coming from a far distance and tears blurred my vision. Doctors ran in and did what they needed to do, then looked at my father and hung their heads low. We all knew the results and continued to cry.

"This can't be happening right now..." I said staring at her. "This can't be happening!"

"Mary," Daehyun softly said, grabbing my shoulders. I covered my face and fell on my knees, crying. I heard Youngjin crying louder and louder as he held onto appa.

"Halmeoni!" was all I could hear, over and over again. I felt someone pat my head and I already knew it was Daehyun, trying to comfort me.

----------

I sat out in the hallway, hearing footsteps run my way. I looked up and saw Jihye and the others running. Hana immediately hugged me.

"Mary," she said with a soft voice, like she was holding in her cry. "I'm sorry about your lost."

I blankly stared out into space, only feeling her hug tighten. I looked at the other members as they hung their head low, not wanting any eye contact. Hana released me and sighed. Appa came out from his office and came up to us with puffy eyes.

"Mary, let's get going and pack your stuff up," he said. I didn't look at him and stared at the floor. He sighed and said, "we can do it another day, but you should go get some rest."

He started to walk away. "Appa..."

He stopped and looked back to me. I sighed and looked at him, "halmeoni's in a better place, right?"

"Mary, you're old enough to know that she is," he softly said. "Go and sleep in my office for the night. I'll prepare your room at my house along with Youngjin's, then we can stop by the house and grab all your belongings tomorrow."

I nodded and got up, following him to his office. I looked at all the photos on his wall when I came across that one picture of him and umma with a hole in my face. I still couldn't believe that he was my father, but with him with us...I wouldn't have to worry too much about taking care of Youngjin alone and worry about living on the streets.

"I'm bringing Youngjin home with me. I know you need more alone time than he does," he said and grabbed his work bag. "I'll see you tomorrow."

I nodded as he gave me a kiss on the top of my head and left, lightly closing the door behind him. Because of doing some late work, he had another room in his office where he could sleep in. I sat on the bed and slowly exhaled while looking around the room. It felt empty now...not because the room was empty, but because halmeoni was gone now. No matter what, I have to stay strong and make halmeoni proud...