Chapter 08

Living in Fears

 

It was finally the day, the day where Krystal gets to see Amber again and have dinner together. Ever since the date was set she had been praying that time to pass faster but the faster she wants time to go the slower she felt it was.

She lay down on her bed just letting time passes on its own since she couldn’t concentrate on anything but in deep thoughts of what’s going to happen tonight. She pictured how the dinner would be like, maybe something romantic like what it appears in dramas where the whole place is just the two of them, candles lit up and a violinist playing a very romantic piece. She started giggling at her own cheesy thoughts which she never pictured herself in. She then looked at the digital clock that was on the night stand, it reads 2:10. She sighed as there’s still 4 more hours until she gets to see Amber. She thought maybe she should get a nap since last night she practically didn’t sleep at all. She nodded to herself agreeing to take a nap and closed her eyes with a big grin pasted on her face. 10 minutes has passed already but she was still widely awake. She twisted and turned finding a comfortable position to sleep but it was useless.

“Krystal you’re so useless!” She scolded at herself with a frustrated tone.

Just when she was about to get up and do something to get her mind off the dinner the phone that was placed on her night stand rang. She reached to her phone, grabs it and answered it. Since Krystal doesn’t have many friends in Korea yet she can only guess its Jessica, Donghae or maybe Sulli.

“Hello?” That was the first thing she said once she answered the call.

“Krystal, are you all ready for your dinner tonight?” Being the nosey Sulli she couldn’t resist not to ask about Krystal’s feelings about tonight’s dinner.

“Ready? It’s a bit early to get ready. There’s still 4 hours to go.”

“Are you saying that you haven’t started getting ready!?” Sulli raised her voice.

“Yes.” Krystal nodded her head even though Sulli cannot see it.

“Gosh! I can’t believe you’re so relax about it now. Don’t you know when girls dress up for a date it’ll approximately take 4 hours?” Sulli screamed in disbelief.

“4 hours!? You got to be joking.”

“I’m dead serious. Don’t you know you got to shower first making yourself clean, no sweat and no smell? Then you got to do your hair and put makeup on. I know you already chose what to wear since I helped you to pick that dress but then again you got to spend time choosing a matching handbag, shoes and jacket. Come to think of it maybe 4 hours isn’t enough.” Sulli said it all in one breath without leaving any gap for Krystal to cut in.

Krystal was dumbfounded, she was lost in words. Sure she has been on dates before but it was never so ceremonious. Usually it would be a normal date where they wear normal clothes and going to normal places like amusement park, shopping malls etc then they would have dinner at a normal restaurant. Upon hearing Sulli’s words Krystal jolt up from her bed and looked at the digital clock, it reads 3:20. The 10 minutes nap she tried to take was actually not just 10 minutes in fact it was more than an hour. She squealed as she thought why time is running so fast now. She immediately thanked Sulli for being nosey and called her before she hangs up. She casually threw her phone on the bed and like a rocket she dashed to the bathroom for a warm shower. After getting herself nice and clean with a scent of strawberry smell she started blow drying her jet black hair. A warm shower and drying her hair had taken up an hour already and there’s only a bit less than 2 hours until Amber arrives. Krystal started to panic a little thinking whether she would make it in time or not, it would be rude to make Amber wait especially it was their first dinner together. So Krystal decide to pace it up a little, she faced the mirror looking at herself she thought her straight hair looks a little plain and decided to curl it. It took her a total of 30 minutes then putting makeup on was another 30 minutes. In total she only had 40 minutes left to dress her up. She quickly grabbed the dress that she brought with Sulli the other day and puts it over her head. She then dug her wardrobe finding a matching jacket, handbag and shoes. Her room which was tidy before was now in a big mess. All her jackets, handbags and shoes were laid on the bed and her makeup, hair dryer was just lying on her desk. Once she was all done she checked herself in the mirror and was satisfied with her look. She then heard her phone vibrated meaning she got a text message, she quickly dug through her messed bed to where her phone was. It was a message from Amber saying she’s now outside. Krystal smiled when reading the message, she then checked herself one last time in the mirror before heading out.

 

Amber arrived at Krystal’s house a little early since she thought driving to an unfamiliar place would take time in case she had difficulties in finding the place. Although she was 20 minutes early she didn’t want to rush Krystal so she just waited in her car until it was 6 o’clock. Once the handle on her watch strikes 12 she messaged Krystal telling she’s outside waiting. She got out of her car and patiently waited for Krystal to walk out. She heard the door opened and then closed which made her look at the direction of Krystal’s door. There comes Krystal dressed up beautifully she wore a dark purple short dress, a black blazer jacket, black stockings, black heels and light makeup enough to bring her pretty facial features out. To Amber this might be the most beautiful girl she ever saw and she was stunned by Krystal’s beauty. Without leaving her eyes off Krystal she starred at her from top to bottom. Krystal was really pretty but Amber... She looked at herself. She was wearing a casual dark green checks zipper hoody jacket with a printed white tee inside and dark blue skinny jeans with her black Nike shoes. It then gives her a feeling that they were going to a completely different place from each other rather than it look like they would be having dinner together.

Seeing how casual Amber wore Krystal felt her body was burning in embarrassment. Amber never once mentioned it would be a formal sort of dinner and Krystal never thought of it as one too but after listening to Sulli’s words somehow Krystal ended up buying this pretty dress. Sulli’s opinions and talks also her own imagination has made a fool of herself now. Feeling a little awkward Amber took the initiative to break the awkwardness by complimenting Krystal.

“You look really beautiful tonight.” Her eyes were still fixed on Krystal.

“Thanks.” Krystal’s head was hung low as she tucks her hair behind her ear.

Amber scratched the back of her head feeling the awkwardness coming again as they look back and forth at each other clothes.

“I think I should go back inside and change.” This time it was Krystal who broke the awkwardness, all she wants to do now is dig a hole and hide inside.

Before Krystal could turn around and head back inside Amber grabbed her wrist and pull her back.

“No it’s fine. It’s my bad for not telling you whether it’s a formal or casual dinner.”

Krystal still argued back that she should change but Amber insists she stay like that as she could tell Krystal really spend the time dressing herself up for tonight. Treating Krystal like a princess, Amber led Krystal to the passenger seat and opened the door for her. They left Krystal’s house and drove to the place that Amber wants to take Krystal for dinner.

“The restaurant isn’t famous or anything but the food is really nice I always come here with my friends.” Amber said as she leads the way once they hopped off the car.

From afar Krystal could smell the food coming out from the restaurant which made her stomach grumbled. The grumbled noise was just loud enough to be heard by Amber, Krystal was once again feeling embarrassed while Amber chuckled at her cuteness. They entered the restaurant and immediately were welcomed by the workers. Once Krystal stepped inside she felt the warmness hitting her although the restaurant wasn’t anything she imagined but it felt nice and cosy. The restaurant wasn’t that big but was quiet spacious, it was a bit crowded since it was dinner hour but luckily they didn’t need to wait. Once they were settled they decided to order Samgyupsal and a bottle of alcohol. As the temperature inside the restaurant was warm enough Amber and Krystal both took off their jacket. The food was placed in front of them after awhile and Amber took care of the cooking since she didn’t want Krystal’s pretty dress to be stained by oils. The awkwardness between them were still there, it was only their third time meeting apart from their names and they go to the same university they don’t anything about each other. Less enough which can be consider as strangers.

Amber could feel the awkwardness between them again since she was the one who invited Krystal to dinner, she thought it’s her responsible to make this dinner enjoyable instead of awkward.

“Are you a little disappointed that the dinner is not something like a candle light dinner sort of thing?” Amber joked to lighten the mood as she left the meat to cook for awhile.

“Well I never thought much about it until my friend start telling me I should get prepared and be formal about it.” Krystal chuckled when flashback of what Sulli said floated in her head.

“It’s my fault. Next time I’ll be clear about it.” Amber then started flipping the meat to the other side.

Next time? That was the only words that Krystal captured from the sentence, hearing that she couldn’t help but forming a big smile on her face. By this time the awkwardness seem to have disappeared and Krystal didn’t care much of what they were wearing and where they were dining the most important thing was the dinner was with Amber. Feeling a little more relax with each other they were now able to converse comfortably. They had really random talk nothing too deep or personal. They both discovered they share a common like for movies. Movies which are usually stupid, random and pointless were their favourite as it can put their brain to relax. The dinner lasted for 2 hours long and they both enjoyed it very much. Once they finished Amber paid for the dinner and they both existed the restaurant. Filling the chill they both put back on their jacket.

Looking at her watch it was only a bit pass 9, Amber asked “It’s still early do you want to go anywhere else?”

There wasn’t any particular place Krystal wants to go but she didn’t want to end the night with Amber this early. “Since we’re all full how about we just take a walk?” Krystal suggested.

It was a Saturday night so the street was still crowded with people and shops were still opened. Amber nodded and they started walking down the crowded street. They would go into shops and just having a browse inside. It was an enjoyable night for the two but unfortunately they had to end the day since it’s almost 10:30pm. They headed back to Amber’s car and during the whole ride they didn’t speak at all. Amber was concentrating on driving while Krystal just stared at the passing objects and scenery. It didn’t take long until Krystal was in her own deep thoughts. She recalled everything that happened tonight including little actions from Amber like how she laughed, how she ate and how she cooked the food for her and placing it on her plate. Every little action was imprinted in Krystal’s memory clearly. She then peaked at Amber who is concentrating on driving at the corner of her eyes she felt her heart thumping again and was pretty loud too.

“Have I really fallen for Amber although she’s a girl as well?” Krystal questioned herself in her heart. It wasn’t a big surprise for her to fallen for a girl like Amber since she seen too many of these situations happened when she was in America. She even made friends who are gay and was comfortable hanging out with them. It’s just she never thought she would love a girl and to have feelings for this girl so quick, it kind of scares her a bit.

“Krystal you can’t be the timid girl like you used to be anymore. The reason why you studied in America, away from home was to learn how to be strong... just like Yiyun unnie.” She was talking to herself again in her heart, the last part made her feel bitter. She immediately shakes all her thoughts and feelings aside, first rule to become a strong girl is to face the problem, she remembered the line that Yiyun used to tell her. She felt the moving car stopped and that was when she finally woke up from her own thoughts.

“We’re here.” Amber finally spoke after the long silent. “I had a really nice time tonight, thanks for having dinner with me.” Amber gave Krystal a smile.

“I should be the one thanking you since you’re the one who treated dinner.”

The two just stared at each other not moving from their position, Krystal’s heart started thumping again and this time she finally admits she has completely fallen for this tomboy who is in front of her right now.

“Do you think we see each other again?” Krystal was worried after tonight they won’t have any more excuses to see other again.

“I don’t see why not, we’re friends right?”

They laughed together, yes they are friends so it means this won’t be the last time they will see each other. Krystal unbuckled her seat belt, opens the door and was ready to leave but as if she forgotten something she turns back facing Amber. Amber had a puzzled look on her face and before she could ask Krystal, Krystal leaned in and gave a peck on Amber’s cheek.

“Thanks for tonight.” In her fastest speed she left the car and head straight in her house.

Amber sat frozen in her driver seat not knowing what had just happened. She slowly lifted her hand and touched her cheek, the place where Krystal kissed. Without knowing a smile formed on her face as she pulled the hand break down and left Krystal’s house.

Once Krystal went inside her house, she quickly closed the door and leaned her whole body on the door. Lifting both of her hands to her chest she felt her heart pounding rapidly like it’s going to jump out from her body. Her whole body started burning in embarrassment as she couldn’t believe she did such thing.

“That was daring of me.” She said as she let out a sweet smile.