Chapter 14

Living in Fears

 

Krystal was discharged from the hospital, Donghae took a day off to drive Krystal and her parents back home. After that night Krystal have not seen Amber, she lingered at the patient room to the very last minute hoping to see Amber appearing in front of her. But unfortunately no matter how long she waited Amber did not show up. While the ride back to the Jung’s house Krystal did not spoke a single word, she just stared at the scenery outside of the window. They arrived at the Jung’s house and before Krystal notice they’re there already, she got off the car and began walking inside to hide in her room for more silence. But before she could escape Donghae stopped her and wanted a word with her. Mr. Jung and Mrs. Jung went inside first while they let the two kids talk.

 

“Krystal I know I don’t have the right to control what kind of friends you should have. But you should know by now Amber is not someone to hang with.”

 

It didn’t take long for Donghae to figure out there’s more than friends between the two. He clearly remembered the position they were in when he first saw them together and those eyes from Amber when she said she’ll protect Krystal no matter what. Also the longing face Krystal put when she was leaving the hospital.

 

“Oppa I know why you’re worried. But Amber is important to me.”

 

“Krystal...”

 

“Sorry oppa I’m really tired.” Krystal rudely interrupted Donghae for the first time and without letting him continuing on she turns around and enters the house.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

At one of Jaebeom’s night club inside the VIP room, Kim Tae Woo sat there comfortably while rolling up a piece of small paper into a straw-like he leans forward to the table and sniffed the drugs in his nose. Jaebeom sat besides cleaning the left over mess.

 

“Even god is helping me.” He sarcastically laughed. His mood then changes 180 degrees throwing the ash tray across the room which shattered into pieces on the wall. “Did you find the drugs!?” He suddenly shouted which frighten Jaebeom to finch.

 

Jaebeom quickly stood up and bowed in 90 degrees leaving his head hanging in the same position. “Hyung, we’re still finding it.” He said with his head still hanging.

 

Kim Tae Woo stood up throwing a kick at Jaebeom where he fell lying on the ground holding on his pained stomach. “I’ll give you another week. If you still cannot find it then leave your hand behind. Right or left hand your choice.” He then left the VIP room and two of his followers follow behind leaving Jaebeom who is still lying down on the ground.

 

The missing drugs were planned by Kim Tae Woo. The original plan was to use this issue to take Victoria down so he can take over the spot. So in order for the plan to work firstly he selected one kid in the gang and put his trust to him in dealing the drugs with Black Tops. While he flies out of Korea making sure it got nothing to do with him. The kid who happens to be selected was Lee Joon and why out of all the kids Lee Joon was the one selected? That is because of Jaebeom. Before Jaebeom becomes a head and was in charge of all the night clubs, he was just a minor gangster who is friends with Lee Joon. Every day the two would try to gainer a head’s attention and Jaebeom succeeded when he blocked an attack that aimed at Kim Tae Woo. Since then he was favoured by Kim Tae Woo and it didn’t took long until he got the position as a head. Jaebeom thought this might be a chance for Lee Joon to get notice by Kim Tae Woo so he especially recommends this buddy to his boss. But he never thought that he’ll send him to hell instead. Right after Lee Joon ran away with the drugs right before the dealing with Black Tops, he was told to hide for a few days until it was safe to meet him. The day Jaebeom thought his buddy could come back with a mission complete he overheard from Junsu that Kim Tae Woo have ordered to kill Lee Joon once they get the drugs back. Before Junsu took action to kill Lee Joon Jaebeom immediately inform his buddy, telling him to run and that’s how Lee Joon went against two biggest gangsters in Korea, Blue Dragons and Black Tops.

 

Jaebeom stood back on his feet and lied down on the sofa still in pain. He took out a cigarette and lit it he thought to himself that no matter what he must find the drugs back first otherwise he’s the next one to go to hell following Lee Joon.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

Ever since Lee Joon’s death, as much as it seems like Key has recovered but his heart is still bleeding inside. The breakup was still paining him although he’s been telling everyone that he doesn’t love him anymore but the fact is he still does. There’s no way that Key could forget about Lee Joon, he was the first person to make his heart beat at an abnormal speed and causing him countless sleepless nights.

 

Sitting on the bench at the basketball court near Seoul National University, Key stared at a group of young teens playing basketball as he gripped tight a piece of object in his hand. He then advert his stare from the group of young teens to the object in his hand.

 

He stared at it while recall the times with Lee Joon the old times where all he did was thought of him.

 

*Flashback*

 

Following Amber Key finally arrived back in Korea, the place he was born. The place he used to be familiar with yet is like a foreign place to him now. It took him awhile to be comfortable with the place and language again. Once he got used to it again like his old self he continue being the player he is flirting with guys and girls. He soon joined a gym as he heard a lot of hot guys and girls are there. That was when he first met Lee Joon. The boy appeared in Key’s eyes wearing a white t-shirt that tightly wraps around his muscular body and a pair of navy shorts that showed off his nicely toned legs. From a far Key stared at the boy and was captivated by his handsome face and body. All the time Key wasn’t paying attention to his exercises and was only staring at his next target. After hours of exercising the boy left to the locker room and Key followed behind. Standing beside him pretending to change as well Key peeked at the corner of his eyes to the figure next to him. He almost drooled at his perfect abs when the figure undresses himself. The boy seems to have notice Key’s staring but he just shrug it off. Afterward Key would go to the gym everyday just to get a glimpse of that handsome boy. He waited and waited and finally saw that figure again with the same white t-shirt and navy shorts but only different was he’s with another guy. He remembers him, Jaebeom, one of Kim Tae Woo’s dogs. He wondered what kind of relationship they hold and whether if he’s also a member of the Blue Dragons. Again when Lee Joon enters the locker room Key followed, he wanted to see if he has the same Blue Dragons tattoo like him. Somehow the handsome boy seems to notice Key, he speed up his pace and turns into a corner which made Key lost his sight. Just when Key turns a corner he was suddenly gabbed by a strong arm. Lee Joon pinned Key on the wall of lockers.

 

“I know you’ve been staring at me the whole time.” Lee Joon whispered in Key’s ear.

 

Key swallow the lump in his throat, the closeness totally took him off guard and he was discovered the day they met. Before Key could react Lee Joon crashes his lips onto him, Key froze for a second before knowing what was happening and quickly respond to the kiss.

 

*End of Flashback*

 

A tear drop from the corner of his eyes as he recalls the day he met Joon. He continues to stare at the piece of object in his hand which was a key.

 

Key have no idea what kind of key it is, he just guessed it might be a locker key since it had a number printed on it. Whatever this key unlocks it might be important since this was the last thing Lee Joon said before losing his last breath. This key was found inside a jar of jam at Key’s apartment. Lee Joon must have put it in the jar after the breakup as Lee Joon still has a copy of Key’s apartment keys. Key has been holding onto this key ever since he’s back in Korea but he never mentions it, not even to his best buddy Amber. He knew this key is important otherwise he wouldn’t mention it before he dies. It might be a clue to find the missing drugs but this key is so ordinary where he have no clue what lock it unlock. His trance of thoughts was suddenly interrupted by a basketball that has rolled in front of his legs.

 

“Hyung can you pass the ball back.” A cheerful and cute young boy said.

 

Key quickly places the key inside his jacket pocket and zips the zipper up making sure it’s safe. He then picks the basketball up and threw it back to the young boy.

 

“Hyung, do you want to join us? We’re missing a player.” The young boy caught the ball with two hands and invited Key for a game of basketball.

 

It was then Key finally took a good look at the figure in front of him. The boy has red hair, skinny and tall but a very cute face. He glanced the boy from toe to head before forming a grin and take off to the court.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

It has been a few days since Krystal was discharged from the hospital and her ankle is almost heal. She can now walk without the help of the crutches but still limps a little. She took days off at uni to rest at home and Amber only visited once but of course that was when she’s home alone.

 

It was only noon and Krystal is bored with nothing else to do. She couldn’t go out because her mother is at home keeping an eye of her daughter making sure she won’t sneak out and hurt herself more. Feeling bored Krystal twists and turns on her bed, she grabs her phone on the night stand dialling Amber’s number. She wants to listen to that husky voice. It rang about five times but no one pick up and before the machine voice speaks telling the caller that the person you’re calling is not available please call again, Krystal hang up. She casually tosses the phone aside and buried her face in the pillow. Seconds later her phone made a sound, reaching her arm out she grabs her phone back pressing the buttons to read the text message.

 

                Look outside your window.

 

                Amber :)

 

Krystal immediately shot up and limp to the window, she opens it wide open sticking her head outside looking left and right. A smile immediately formed when she spotted that tomboy who is also looking at her. Krystal’s phone made another sound.

 

                Can you come out?

 

                Amber.

 

With her fast fingers she quickly text back.

 

                I can’t, mum is at home.

 

                Krystal :(

 

Krystal reply back and when Amber read the message even from a far distance she can still see her disappointing face. In a split second the figure outside was gone, Krystal clearly saw her walking toward the building, she tried calling the tomboy but she didn’t answer it. Minutes later the door bell rang, she heard her mother opening the door and greeting someone.

 

“Hello Mrs. Jung.” Amber bowed and greeted Mrs. Jung nicely. When their eyes meet Amber still remember that face, that warm smile that came and pick up Krystal from the orphanage.

 

“Hello… but you are?” Mrs. Jung hesitated upon seeing an unknown figure.

 

“I’m Krystal’s classmate, I’m here to bring her the notes she’s been missing out.” Amber smiled the pile of papers that she’s holding was actually her own notes that has nothing related to Krystal’s course.

 

“Oh… thank you so much. Please come inside.” Mrs. Jung thanked the tomboy and invited her inside.

 

By the time Amber step inside Krystal already left her room. She stood still looking at Amber trying to hold the urge to hug her girlfriend.

 

“Oh Amber you’re here.” She calmly greeted her girlfriend. She then limped towards Amber and Amber quickens her feet to give Krystal some support. “Mum, Amber and I will be in my room she’s going to explain the homework to me.” She made an excuse and lead Amber to her bedroom. Her mother nodded then continues what she was doing before. Once they reach inside and closed the door Krystal took the pile of notes from Amber and threw them on the bed. She then jumps on Amber hugging her like a koala hugging a tree. Smashing her lips onto Amber, she tasted that pair of lips that she’s been longing for. The sudden hug and kiss really surprised Amber but nevertheless she held tight onto Krystal and hungrily kissing back. Feeling that Krystal is slipping from her grip, Amber move toward the bed and once her feet hit the edge of the mattress she gently lay Krystal down. The kiss never broke apart the entire time and until they felt the need for some oxygen.

 

“I miss you.” Krystal said wrapping her arms around Amber’s neck and gave a light peck on her lips.

 

“Me too, how is your ankle?”

 

Not prepared for the sudden turn over, Krystal uses all her strength turning their position where Amber is on the bottom and Krystal on the top.

 

 “It’s a lot better now.” She said giving another peck on the tomboy. She then leans down for another long passionate kiss.

 

“Did you drive?” She said a little out of breath. Amber just nodded. “I want to take you somewhere.” Amber gave the girl a perplex look but agree on it anyways.

 

They left the room and made an excuse that they’ll be going to a nearby café to talk. It took awhile until Mrs. Jung was convinced in letting her daughter out of the house. Krystal happily hops in the passenger seat buckling the seat belt and direct Amber the directions to her destination. The drive was long and Amber is still clueless where they are heading. They finally reach to the place where they cannot move further. Krystal unbuckled the seat belt and hop out of the car and Amber followed behind doing the same thing.

 

“Krystal what are we doing here?”

 

“Amber, do you remember on the accident day that I told you there’s something I want to tell you? Well I want to tell you now. I want you to know the real me.” She said then turns around heading up hill.

 

Amber guesses Krystal want to tell her the past but she was still clueless why she’s bringing her here. She quickly caught up and held Krystal’s hand tightly afraid that she’ll fall. The walk took longer than usual since Krystal’s ankle is still injured. They finally reach outside an old church Amber stood still staring at the church and Krystal just pulls her inside.

 

“Sister Mary!?” Krystal quietly shouted but was loud enough to be heard. Her voice echoed throughout the church.

 

In heard of the name Amber felt a heat rising up to her eyes. It has been years she last seen Sister Mary and she misses her so much. She took a deep breath in trying to hold back the tears from rising.

 

“I guess she went out.” After receiving no reply she pulls Amber to the seat and they both sat down.

 

“Okay I’m ready to tell you everything.” She took one last deep breath before telling her story that she never told anyone before. Not even her adopted parents not even Jessica or Donghae and not even Yiyun.

 

Krystal’s real parents died in a car accidently on the way to pick her up from school. It seem that the guy was drunk driving from the opposite lane, losing his vision his hands slipped turning the wheel crashing his car to Krystal’s parents. The two lost their breathing before reaching to the hospital. Krystal was soon informed by the police. Since none of Krystal’s relatives want to take the girl in the only choice was to send her to an orphanage. There she met Yiyun and Jinri.

 

“Yiyun… she’s a special friend to me even though I haven’t seen her after getting adopt and I don’t even know if she’s still alive. But I have a feeling that I will meet her again.” Tears formed in the corner of her eyes when thinking back her parents and Yiyun.

 

“I’m sure you will see her again.” Amber said as she gave a squeeze on Krystal’s hand.

 

“Ah… my makeup must be ruin now.” Krystal sniffed and wiped the tears that formed in the corner of her eyes. She then excused herself to the bathroom to fix her makeup which made Amber chuckled. Amber sat there quietly waiting for Krystal to come back. Her mind is more confused than before, Krystal is finally opening up to her but she can’t reveal her identity, at least not right now. She then heard footsteps behind her, turning around her eyes met the eyes of Sister Mary. She froze she couldn’t hold back her tears anymore and burst out crying. Sister Mary is almost reacting the same she drops the grocery bag on the floor and ran up to the tomboy.

 

“Yiyun! You’re alive!” She shouted and hugged Amber tightly.

 

There was no way that Sister Mary could not recognise Yiyun. She’s been watching this girl grow from a little hand held baby until she’s all grown up. Amber was now bawling, she hugged Sister Mary tightly as well and no words could express what she’s feeling right now. To Amber Sister Mary is like her family, from the time she could remember she was at the orphanage already and Sister Mary treats her like her own daughter. They parted after calming down a little.

 

“Let me take a good look at you now.” Sister Mary cupped Amber’s cheeks wiping the tears away.

 

“I’m so glad you’re still alive. But how did you find me?” She said.

 

“Krystal… I mean Soojung brought me here.” Amber finally spoke.

 

“I’m so happy that you two met again. You two used to stick together all the time.” Sister Mary chuckled remembering the old times.

 

“She doesn’t know I’m Yiyun and please help me keep this secret.”

 

Sister Mary did not know why but she know Amber must have her own reasons. She just nodded in reply.