Chapter 00

Living in Fears

 

This isolated church is actually an orphanage that takes care of children who lost their parents or was abandoned. These kids here who look innocent and naive actually aren’t what they look on the inside, they are kids filled with sadness and lonesome. As not many knew about this orphanage not many people comes here to adopt kids but when a chance do come they’ll do anything to get picked.

In this orphanage there is a fatso bully here name Shindong because of his size and height he often bullies smaller kids to entertain his boring life.

Soojung the new kid had just got adjusted to her orphan life. She started to open herself to her new friends Yiyun and Jinri more. The three of them always stick together and do things together.

It was another original day and it was lunch time. All the kids lined up in one line to get their lunch, feeling extra hungry today Yiyun couldn’t wait until she gets her hands on the food. Soojung, Yiyun and Jinri lined up together and patiently waited until their turns. They each got a plate filled with food and left to find a seat to eat. They sat in a corner each happily eating their food until Shindong came over.

“So you’ve decided to hang out with Yiyun now?” Shindong questioned as he eyed Soojung from above.

Soojung was too afraid to talk so she just nodded her head. Shindong grinned at them he then snatched Soojung’s plate where the plate was still almost full. “Nice I’m feeling extra hungry today.” He snatched the plate and left off to his spot. Yiyun immediately got up fist clenched she was about to fight Soojung’s lunch back but was only stopped by Jinri.

“Why are you stopping me?” Yiyun questioned the little girl who was sitting beside her.

“Don’t you remember? Sister Marry said no more fighting otherwise you’re going to be punished.” Jinri reminded Yiyun that she’s being watched by the sisters and if any more trouble she causes she would be punished.

Yiyun can only swallowed her anger down as she seated herself back down. Looking at Soojung’s sad face and then she looked at her half eaten lunch.

“If you don’t mind you can have the rest.” She pushed her half empty plate in front of Soojung.

Soojung couldn’t say anything and just looked at Yiyun with her puppy-like eyes.

“Come on eat don’t just look at me like that.” Yiyun blushed because of Soojung’s cute expression.

A big smile was formed on Soojung’s face and she happily swallows the food down .

Every day was the same for them they would wake up and wash up, eat breakfast, study, lunch then playtime, more study, dinner, bath then sleep. Leaving the orphanage is restricted they are only allow to go outside if they finally get adopted or old enough to leave.

It was a time where Soojung enjoyed the most, which was bathing. She loves the feeling of being in the warm water and having a water fight with Yiyun and Jinri. But the thing she loves the most was the moment when Yiyun scrubs her back for her. The feeling of Yiyun scrubbing her back reminds herself the feeling of how her mother used to scrubs her back.

At night Soojung would often jumps onto Yiyun’s bed in the middle of the night. She would cuddle herself close to Yiyun for warmth and Yiyun would just welcome her all the time. But tonight Soojung couldn’t sleep as she’s been thinking a lot with her little head.

“Unnie.” Soojung whispered as she turns to face Yiyun.

“Umm...?” Yiyun responded as she was still half asleep.

“I miss mummy and daddy.” Soojung cried.

Yiyun embraced Soojung tightly to comfort her “Don’t worry I’m here for you. You still have me.” Yiyun then kissed Soojung’s forehead “Don’t think anymore and just sleep.” With that said they both fell asleep as they embraced tightly onto each other.

“Big news!!!” Soohyun came running to the dining area. It was breakfast and all the kids were enjoying their breakfast. He bends down with hands on his knees while catching his breath “Pff... There’s someone here pff... to adopt!” All the kids quickly swallowed the remaining food down and some just left to see the new adopters without finishing their breakfast. Once Soojung, Yiyun and Jinri had finished their breakfast, they too were also curious what the new adopter looks like. They ran to Sister Mary’s office, the door was crowded with the orphanage kids all on their tip toes to peek through from the glass window on the door.

“Unnie I can’t see.” Jinri pouted as she grabs a hold of Yiyun’s shirt.

Yiyun then got down on the floor and Jinri stepped up on Yiyun’s back with Soojung’s support. She managed to peek through the window and saw a friendly couple talking to Sister Mary. All the kids left to class as Sister Maria shooed them away. In this orphanage there are only two classes, one class for the kids between 5-8 years old and the other class for kids between 8 years old and above. This is the only time where Soojung and Jinri are separated from Yiyun. The adopter couple were then observing the kids in class trying to select the one they like. They had a good 10 minutes observation and left but the following days they would keep coming for more observation.

“Unnie, do you think I’m going to be the one who get adopted?” Jinri excitedly questioned as she was scrubbing herself in the bathtub.

“I don’t know but I hope you get picked.” Yiyun replied back while scrubbing Soojung’s back.

Soojung the quiet one finally voiced her thought “But if you do then we never going to see each other again.” A sad expression was expressed by the two young ones.

“Come on, it’s better than staying here. All the kids here wish to be adopted by a happy family.” Yiyun said as she tries to lighten the mood up.

It has been 4 days already and the couple came back with their final decision. After a tough thought they finally decided to adopt Jinri as she fit best to be their daughter. When the news was announced Jinri jumped up in joy while the other kids were all disappointed. Yiyun was happy for Jinri and Soojung was sad because it would mean they won’t able to see each other again. After the announcement Jinri would need to pack up and leave with her new family immediately. Although Jinri was happy but now she was in tears as the thought of splitting with her friends. She hugged onto Yiyun and Soojung tightly as they bid goodbye.

“Don’t cry, you can always send us a letter and I’m sure we’ll able to see each other again.” Yiyun comforted the two cry babies as she gently patted their backs.

They had their moment together and Jinri had to leave. Yiyun and Soojung waved goodbye as Jinri got into the black Mercedes Benz.

“Looks like it’s just you and me now.” Yiyun squeezed Soojung’s little hand.

It took a great amount of time for the two to adjust to the life of without Jinri and life seem a lot more quiet as Jinri plays as the cheerful loud mouth kid amongst them. Within the year Soojung and Yiyun had gotten a lot closer than before as they only have each other to depend on, they would do everything together and Soojung with the timid character wouldn’t leave Yiyun for even one second.

It was another rare chance that another couple came to the orphanage for an adoption. As usual all the kids were excited. The same process went through again like a year ago with Jinri and Yiyun knew that the possibility of her getting adopted was rare as couple usually adopts the younger kids. So she prays that Soojung could be the selected one.

Instead of 4 days like the time with Jinri it took a whole week for the couple to decide who to adopt. It seem like Mary had heard Yiyun’s prays and the couple final decision was Soojung. Upon hearing that announcement Yiyun cried in enjoyment as she hugs Soojung tightly and Soojung was still lost in her own little world of what actually just happened. Yiyun helped Soojung to pack her things up and Soojung just stood still behind Yiyun crying.

“Unnie I don’t want to leave I don’t want to leave you.” Soojung mumbled as tears was all over her pretty face.

Yiyun turns around and hugged the cutie “Shhh!!! You have to leave it’s the best for you and me.” She rubs her back and tightens the hug. They parted eyes staring at each other both of their eyes are red with tears dripping down. Yiyun wipes Soojung’s tears away with both her thumbs and then continue packing Soojung’s belongings.

The packing was done and Yiyun carried it for Soojung and Soojung was still clinging onto Yiyun trying to pull her back but fails to. Yiyun hands the luggage to Soojung’s new parents, she squad down to meet Soojung level and wipes away the tears that were covering her face.

“Remember to be a good girl.” Yiyun kissed Soojung on the forehead one last time before pushing Soojung to her new parents.

Soojung’s eyes were red and tears were still dripping down but she was quiet. She wasn’t like before crying out loud that she doesn’t want to leave, she bitted her lips and stared at Yiyun and before she leaves she ran back to Yiyun to give her one last hug. They parted and Soojung took out the silver necklace with a ring strap through from her neck, this necklace was a gift from Soojung’s real parents and it never once left her. She pulled it out from her neck and puts it over Yiyun’s neck and looking one last time at Yiyun, Soojung crawled into the luxury BMW. Although Soojung was inside the car but her eyes never left Yiyun. From the back window she continues to stare at Yiyun and Yiyun just waved goodbye as she sends Soojung away.

“Looks like it’s just myself now.” Yiyun sighed as she whispered to herself and a drop of tear fell down.

Sister Mary approached Yiyun and hugged her tightly. She patted the girl’s head and sighed. “You’re such a silly girl.”