Chapter 12

Living in Fears

 

Krystal was woken up by the morning wake up call from the roosters. She glanced the watch on her wrist the two hands clearly indicate it’s 7 in the morning. She yawned and stretched her body before laying her feet on the ground. She walks to the bathroom to wash her face; on the reflection of the mirror she saw two puffy red eyes. It was from the big burst out cry from last night and the lack of sleep. She couldn’t sleep since her mind was puzzled until she made up her mind.

 

The first thing she did after she washes her face was to give Amber a call. She took her phone out and dialled Amber’s number. The phone kept ringing and no one answered when she was about to hung up the phone connect through.

 

First thing Krystal heard was a yawn then Amber’s sleepy voice “Hello?”

 

“Sorry did I wake you up? I’ll call back.”

 

“It’s okay I had to wake up anyway.” Amber yawned again.

 

“Umm... Do you have time today I want to see you and tell you something?”

 

“I have class today... How about tonight? Or is it important that you have to see me now?”

 

“No... Tonight is fine. I’ll see you tonight.” Without saying more they both hang up.

 

There are still hours until they meet and Krystal’s heart was racing already, she couldn’t wait until she sees Amber and tell her everything.

 

Krystal’s phone rang and looking over at the caller ID it was her best friend Sulli.

 

“SOOJUNG! I’m so happy! Do you have class today wanna go shopping? I gotta tell you something, something really really really important!” Sulli was practically screaming her lungs through the phone.

 

“Quiet down. You’re damaging my ear drum.”

 

“Opps sorry! I’m just too happy.” Sulli started giggling on her own.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

After the wakeup call from Krystal Amber prepared herself for class. Same as Krystal, her heart was also racing and wanting to tell Krystal that she’s Yiyun, how much she miss her and how much she wanted to see her again. Tonight would be the reunion night for the two long lost childhood friend. Unknowingly a smile crept on her face as she puts her shirt over her head.

 

The day continues normally like usual with Amber attending her classes. While Amber is busy attending classes Key was the one to keep an eye on Kim Tae Woo just as what Victoria ordered.

 

They have been following Kim Tae Woo for days but nothing special was discovered. Kim Tae Woo did his usual routine, visiting his girlfriends, staying in his office and contacting the drug dealers. Nothing was out of the ordinary. Half of the day was gone and Amber finally had the time to check up on Key. She pulls her phone out and dialled Key’s number.

 

“Anything unusual happened so far?” Amber asked.

 

“No... but maybe a yes now.”

 

Amber raised her eyebrows “What do you mean?”

 

“Kim Tae Woo and his gang just entered ‘My Heaven’. I have a bad feeling about this.” Key reported back.

 

After hearing that Amber also has a bad feeling about it. Everyone knew the restaurant ‘My Heaven’ is owned by Black Tops and their boss T.O.P hangs out there a lot. Now that the relationship with Blue Dragons and Black Tops worsen from the previous drug dealing, she doubts nothing will happen when the Blue Dragons meets the Black Tops.

 

“Keep following and I’ll meet you there shortly.” Amber ordered.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Soojung you’re late again!” Sulli pouted.

 

Krystal bowed and apologised. Sulli wasn’t someone who can get angry easily so within seconds she forgave Krystal.

 

“So what’s the happy thing you want to tell me?” That was the first thing Krystal asked.

 

“Oh yeah...  I’m one of the students who got pick to have real work training at a hospital!” Sulli bounced up and down while holding onto Krystal’s hands. “I can’t wait until I get to wear my nurse uniform to work.” Sulli was now blushing at the thought of her wearing the pretty pink nurse uniform.

 

“Congratulation Sulli!” Krystal was happy for her best friend, it was her dream to become a nurse and help out people who needed help.

 

“So have you decided to tell her everything?” Sulli asked. Although she was over joy about able to train in a real hospital but she did not forget the problem her best friend was troubled with.

 

Krystal didn’t reply back and just simply nodded her head. The two girls aimlessly kept walking on the busy street until Sulli spotted a familiar figure from a far distance. She immediately tapped the girl next to her and points to the direction of that familiar figure.

 

“Soojung, isn’t that Amber over there?”

 

Krystal’s head shoot up at the direction Sulli is pointing; the figure of the one she loves how could she not recognise that figure?

 

“Why is she there?” Krystal mumbled to herself. She supposed to be in class at the moment but why did she lied? A question formed in Krystal’s head, without thinking she grabbed Sulli’s wrist and quietly followed Amber. The two girls are now following close behind the tomboy, they stop around the corner until they saw Amber enters a restaurant. Just about when Krystal makes a move to continue following Amber, Sulli grabbed her wrist and pulled her back.

 

“Why are you doing?”

 

“Soojung you haven’t been in Korea for years you don’t know this restaurant is where gangsters hang out.” Sulli warned her childhood friend.

 

“I don’t care I just want to know why Amber lied.” Krystal flung off Sulli’s hand that was grabbing her wrist and proceed on following Amber into the restaurant.

 

It was too late for Sulli to pull her back as Krystal already left her reaching zone. She pulled a concern look, heart racing and hesitate whether she should follow or stay outside. She kept moving back and forth, fingers fidgeting against one another. She wanted to follow but all the previous news she read just freak her out. “I’m sorry Soojung.” She made her choice and start praying hoping her friend would walk out safely. 

 

 

Krystal followed Amber up the stairs and into the restaurant. Along the way she saw big bulky men with tattoos strangely staring at her. She sweated but continued on browsing for that familiar figure. It wasn’t long until she felt a hand on her , she screamed as she turns around to see who it was. The guy was young around in his 20’s, he has short blonde hair and wearing a sleeveless shirt which reveals his dragon tattoos on both his arms.

 

“Hey babe how about joining us?” The blonde hair gangster reached his arm around Krystal’s shoulder and pointed to his group of friends. Krystal ignored him and struggle free from his hold. She continues on searching for Amber but the guy was getting furious as his friends were laughing at him. He immediately grab Krystal’s wrist and pull her back.

 

“B*tch!” His other free hand was raise and was preparing to slap the girl who just rejected him.

 

Krystal kept struggling but couldn’t break free from his hold this time since he used much more powe than before. She closed her eyes preparing to endure this pain but nothing happened. She opened her eyes and found the one she’s been looking for standing besides her grabbing the hand of that gangster.

 

“Amber!” Krystal’s eyes lighten up.

 

“Hey mind your own ing business dude!”

 

Amber twisted her hand and bended the fingers of that gangster. The gangster cried in pain as he slowly release Krystal’s wrist. Amber then kneed the gangster on the stomach and elbowed him on his back. The gangster fell down on the floor in pain, curled up and hands on his stomach. His group of gangster friends all stood up and ready for a hard fist fight with Amber.

 

“Am... Amber?! That’s the Amber from Hearts.” One of the gangsters said with a shaky voice.

 

The gangsters stopped their actions and all stared at the tomboy with unbelieving expression. Despite Amber doesn’t hang out with a lot of the gangsters in Blue Dragons but her name is quite well known. Amber glanced at them one by one and saw the Blue Dragons’ tattoo that is printed on their arms. The Amber now that Krystal is seeing was completely different to the Amber she saw before. She never seen this side of her and unknowingly she feels a bit terrified.

 

Amber stomped on the gangster’s hand, that dirty hand which touched Krystal. The gangster still lying on the floor screamed in pain and his gangster friends sweated in fear.

 

“Go! Don’t ever let me see you guys again.” Amber spoke in a cold tone.

 

The gangsters immediately ran off leaving the blonde hair gangster on the floor. The blonde hair gangster on the floor immediately picks himself up and follows his gang of friends.

 

Krystal was too astonished to even say anything and forgot why she was here in the first place. Amber turns and faces Krystal, she was already calm down and those eyes of her were gentle like what Krystal has always seen.

 

“Are you okay? Did you get hurt?” Amber asked with a gentle and concerned look.

 

Krystal shook her head as she stared into Amber’s eyes. Many questions popped up in her head. Why is she here in a place where gangsters hang out? Why are the gangsters afraid of her when they heard her name? Who is she? Is she a gangster? She wanted to ask all those questions but before she could even open a big clattering sound was heard from the other side of the restaurant. Within seconds the entire restaurant went chaotic. Tables chairs were flip over or trash, things were thrown across the place and the men were punching kicking one another. Krystal squirmed and hid behind Amber. Amber wraps her body around Krystal doing all she could to protect the one she loves.

 

There was a distance from the exit doors and with the situation now if they just run across Krystal might get hurt, so they squad down in a corner waiting for the safest chance to sprint to one of the exit door. The two groups of men were too busy fighting against each other that they did not realise Amber and Krystal. They waited and waited hugging tight onto each other, they felt a lot ease when a siren sound was heard and one by one the gangster stopped their action to escape out of the fighting scene. The police already have reach to the restaurant. A few of the gangster were too slow and was arrested by the police. Key appeared from the other side of the restaurant as he escaped from the sight of the police.

 

“Amber let’s go the police are coming!” He shouted.

 

Amber released Krystal from her hug; she had a good look at her making sure she’s not hurt anywhere. She hesitated, looking at Krystal then back to Key then back at Krystal again.

 

“Are you able to run?” Amber asked. Krystal nodded but when they start moving Krystal winced in pain. She fell on the floor instantly her hand reached up her ankle. Amber lift Krystal’s hand away from her ankle, a big purple green bruise was shown. Amber panicked when she saw a drop of tear streaming down Krystal’s beautiful face. Krystal must have hurt herself during the chaotic fight.

 

“Amber just leaves without me. I’ll be fine, the police are coming.” Krystal pushes Amber away from herself. If her guess is correct that Amber is a gangster she must leave this place immediately otherwise she’ll get arrested.

 

It was a hard choice for Amber but this choice must be made quickly. She hugs Krystal tightly and whispered “This time I’m not going to leave you.” Tears began to burst out from Krystal’s eyes because of the pain she was enduring the whole time and but also she was touched by Amber’s words.

 

Amber turns back to Key and shouted “Go without me!”

 

“But... Amber...”

 

“Just go!” Amber screamed and Key hesitantly left the restaurant through the other exit door avoiding the police.

 

Seconds later a group of police came holding their guns and surrounding the two who are left in the restaurant.

 

“Krystal!?” A familiar voice was heard. Looking at the direction where the voice came from Krystal meets the eyes of her cousin, Donghae.

 

“Oppa!”

 

Donghae squad down to meet the level of his lovely cousin but to his surprise he also saw Amber, their intimate position made Donghae afraid what might their relationship be. He swallowed down his questions for the two and gently lifts Krystal away from Amber and led her to the nurses who will take her to the hospital. Amber stood up; both of their eyes did not leave each other until their vision was block by Donghae.

 

“Amber Liu, I’m Officer Lee Donghae, you are arrested. Please follow us to the police station.”

 

Amber knew this would happen from the moment she decides to stay behind with Krystal. As much as she didn’t want Krystal to see her getting arrest but she’s a gangster and this cannot be avoid. Krystal was dragged out the restaurant by the nurses and before she lost sight of Amber she saw her being hand cuff by her cousin Donghae.