Chapter 06

Living in Fears

 

The three manage to escape from the crime scene before the cops arrives and safely ran back to the hotel. Key’s shirt was stained with Joon’s blood he sat on the bed side edge quietly as he stares at the bloods on his own hands. Key whimpered and tugged his legs up against his chest with his arms embracing it.

“Lee Joon is dead.  Amber what should we do now?”

“I’ll call Victoria unnie and see what we should do.” Amber pulled her phone out and dialled Victoria’s number. The call was put through after the fourth ring Amber reported back their situation and waited for her next order. The conversation didn’t last long before Amber hang up.

“What did boss say?”

“She told us not to do anything right now. It’s not safe for us to stay here, Key and I need to leave as quickly as possible.”

“Okay, I’ll call Zhou Mi to book to flight tickets.” He patted his hand on Key’s shoulder before leaving the hotel room.

Amber averted her attention at Key, it feels like a knife has pierced through her heart seeing her best buddy like this, it was her first time seeing Key acting this way. She sat next to him and tightly embraced him, it was her way of comforting her best buddy. Feeling the warmth from Amber, Key burst out crying, letting go all the tears that builded inside him since Joon’s death.

 

Zhou Mi booked the first flight back to Korea for the both, Amber and Key taxied to the airport with their luggage. Waiting there at the airport were Henry and Zhou Mi, both of them were there to send Amber and Key off. Zhou Mi handed the two flight tickets to Amber and they bid goodbye to each other. Zhou Mi patted Key on the arm before they left, he heard everything from Henry and that was his only way to show his support to Key.

--------------------------------------------

After hearing the news that the orphanage Krystal used to stay was burnt down, she was in a depression mood. Seeing his cousin like that Donghae used his own power as a police to get more information on this case in the police database. As the orphanage was only a small number of kids, it was recorded in the file that no dead bodies were found but Yiyun and Shindong went missing. Police having been searching for the two for days but there was no new findings. They assumed that they either dead or not in Korea anymore. Donghae investigated on the owner of the orphanage, Sister Mary, hoping to find out her where about maybe they could get a little information about Yiyun after Krystal left the orphanage.

 

“Are you sure Sister Mary is living in here?” Krystal eagerly question as she walks up hill to an isolated village in the countryside.

The pathway to the village was too narrow which a car cannot drive through, the only way was to walk up the hill. Luckily it wasn’t a long walk until they arrived at the front entrance of the village. The floor was just dirt and the houses were all made from woods. The house looks fragile like it’ll break if a strong gust of wind blown on it.

Taking out a piece of paper with the address scribble on it, Donghae looked around to find the place. There weren’t any street names or anything so it wasn’t easy to find the place even though they had the address. After asking five people who lives there, they finally found the house. Knocking the door a couple of times there was no reply. An old man living next door peaked at the two strangers from his window. Donghae spotted the old man and ran up to him.

“Sir, do you where the owner of that house gone to?” Donghae asked politely.

“Sister Mary? She’s usually at the church this hour.” He pointed to the direction of the church.

Krystal and Donghae followed the direction given by the old man to the church. About 10 minutes walk an old church was seen. But when entered the church seem very clean and well taken care of. In front of Mary was a Sister standing there praying. Krystal silently walks closer trying not to interrupt her praying. After praying Sister Mary turns around and saw two young adults.

“Hello miss, is there anything you need?” Sister Mary greeted.

Tears started swelling up on Krystal’s eyes as she stared straight in the eyes of Sister Mary, the familiar face she remembered. She didn’t change at all except the fact that she aged a bit.

She cried “Sister Mary! It’s me Soojung!”

Sister Mary eyes widen and were surprise to see Soojung again. She quickly took her in for an embrace and Krystal began crying out loud. Sister Mary treated Krystal very nice when she was at the orphanage, the feeling of seeing Sister Mary again was like seeing a family member. Sister Mary took the two to the guest area where they could sit down and enjoy a cup of tea together. Krystal and Donghae sat on the chairs while Sister Mary brewed some fresh tea.

Krystal has calmed down; her eyes and nose were still red from the suddenly emotional outbreak. Sister Mary served the two a cup of fresh brew tea; she also took a seat and sat down in front of them.

“Are you here to ask about Yiyun?” Sister Mary knew, Krystal wasn’t the first to approach her to ask about Yiyun. She also remembered the three would always stick close together.

Krystal nodded her head in respond to Sister Mary’s question.

Sister Mary sighed and taking a sip of her cup of tea she started telling the story after Soojung left “After you left Yiyun became a lot quieter, she doesn’t participate in any of the activities with the kids and she doesn’t talk unless she had to. She either just zone out while fiddling with her necklace or quietly reads a book.”

Hearing that Krystal’s heart ached, she regretted leaving Yiyun alone at the orphanage. “What happened during the accident?”

“Some of the kids were playing with a match box that they found in the kitchen, a little fire turned out to burn the whole orphanage down. When we knew the fire was too large for us to extinguish, we immediately evacuated everyone. When we did a head count outside we found that Yiyun and Shindong went missing but the fire already burnt down most of the orphanage.”

The rest of the story was what Donghae already told Krystal. The accident went on newspaper headline and many kind people offered their help in these poor little kids by donating money or adopting them.

Krystal was more depressed than before, she felt that Yiyun doesn’t deserve all of this, why must she have to suffer? After getting the information from Sister Mary, Krystal and Donghae left the church since Donghae needs to get back to the police station. Krystal promised Sister Mary to come back and to have a chat with her nicely next time. She send them off outside and once they left the church a tall girl walks in the direction to towards the church.

“Jinri!” Sister Mary shouted as she was happy to see this lovely girl again.

Upon hearing this Krystal stopped her feet and turns around. She saw the back of a tall girl with long curly hair in a lovely pink dress. Sister Mary pointed to Krystal and the tall girl turns around, their eyes meet. The two stared at each other for a couple of seconds before approaching each other. A gush of happiness rise inside their body and both smiled at each other.

“Hi I’m Sulli, I used to be called Jinri.” Sulli introduced herself in a joking way. She knew this person in front of her was Soojung since Sister Mary just told her.

Krystal chuckled. Sulli still the same, the same playful girl. “Hi I’m Krystal, I used to be called Soojung.” She decided to play along and they both cracked up laughing afterward.

Donghae left as he needs to head back to the police station, Sulli offered Krystal a ride back in town so Krystal can stay longer here to chat with them. They went back in the church to the guest area, sitting down together on the table.

“I can’t believe I’m seeing you again Soojung.” Sulli said in surprise.

“Me too.” Krystal was feeling the same.

They had a long catch up together, filling what each other have missed out. Krystal and Sulli found out they goes to Seoul International University except that Sulli studies nursing while Krystal is studying fine arts. The chat was enjoyable, Krystal telling her life when she was in America and Sulli tells her life with her adopted family. But the laughter stopped when Sulli mentioned Yiyun.

“I wondered where Yiyun unnie went. Hopefully she’s still alive.” Krystal said as she lowered her head.

Always being the cheerful one, Sulli positively said “Don’t worry, we’ll get to see her again.”

As though Sulli’s smile has super powers, Krystal felt a lot ease when Sulli said that to her. She must think positive, she even get to meet Jinri again meeting Yiyun wouldn’t be impossible.

------------------------------------------------------

Once Amber and Key landed back in Korea without getting to leave the airport, the police approached them. Donghae and a few of his underclassmen stopped in front of the two.

“We meet again.” Donghae said he then continued “We got news of Lee Joon’s death in Shanghai and we would want the two to come with us for questionaries about this case.”

Amber knew this would happened so before she left Shanghai she called Hangeng telling him if anyone asks about that night tell them that Key and she was with him the whole time, this will be their alibi.

“Sure, anything from me to help out the investigation.” Amber smiled at Donghae and followed them.

------------------------------------------------------

Listening to Victoria’s order Amber and Key did nothing but their usual routines once they’re back in Korea. After a few days of skipping classes Amber was back to uni with a pile of notes in her hands. The girls in her class all offered their notes to Amber hoping to help her catch up on the missing work. Although one’s note is enough but Amber doesn’t want them to keep bothering her therefore she accepted all the offers. She was sitting in the canteen by herself, the table was spread with notes and books, her laptop was opened and she was busily typing up notes. It wasn’t long until she was interrupted by a girl’s voice.

“Excuse me are you Amber?”

Amber drop what she was doing and lifted her head up facing the person who was speaking to her. Their eyes meet, Amber froze after seeing the figure in front of her. She never thought she would meet her again and here out of all places. Without knowing she stood up eyes without leaving her. She blinked a couple of times not knowing what she’s doing. The girl in front just patiently waited for her answer. It then shot back at Amber that she had to answer her question.

“Y...yes I am.” Somehow Amber stuttered. “You’re...” She remembered who the girl was but suddenly she remembered she didn’t know her name.

“Krystal.” Krystal filled the blank for Amber. They smiled at each other, the feeling they shared at the moment was strange. A feeling like they knew each other but at the same time they don’t. Expected the first meeting after at Hearts was awkward, they looked in each other eyes’ for a few more seconds until Amber broke the silence.

“Do you want to sit?” Amber thought it’s rude to keep Krystal standing so she offered her to sit.

“Am I interrupting you?” Krystal asked when she saw the messed table. It must be fate for them to meet again and to meet in such place. At first Krystal wasn’t sure if it was the right person. When she got closer she was definite that this person was Amber, the girl she’s been thinking of ever since they met but then question like “What if she doesn’t remember me?” popped up in her head, it would be embarrassing if she didn’t remember her. But she decides to give it a shot.

“No... Not at all.” Amber shakes her head and she cleaned the messed table making some space for Krystal.

Krystal sat opposite of Amber, they faced each other but it seem like the awkwardness was still there. Krystal was just playing with her fingers while Amber was looking left and right. They both felt uncomfortable with the awkwardness and Amber couldn’t take it anymore, things have to be said clear.

“About that night...” Amber started the topic bringing back to that night they met.

“I know... it’s because of the drug that’s why we reacted like that.” Krystal cuts in Amber’s line as she quickly explained the cause of their behaviour before she gets rejected saying things like “It was just for fun.” or “I didn’t know what I was doing” something like that.

Amber was a bit surprised to see Krystal knew about the drugs. She never plans to blame her behaviour from that night because of the drugs she thought it was rather an irresponsible excuse. But since Krystal knew everything there’s no point of hiding it.

“My friend who served our drinks putted Bremelanotide inside. I’m sorry but please trust me it wasn’t me who told him to do that.” It wasn’t like Amber to explain everything but she didn’t want Krystal to think of her as such person who ordered Key to put the drugs inside their drinks.

“Apology accepted.” Krystal smiled and they both laughed together. “So how did you... you know... calmed yourself down after that night?” It was an awkward question but Krystal was curious because for her she suffered a lot.

“Um... Aish, this is awkward.” Amber blushed, her palm started sweating and she wipes them on her pants. “Well it was painful I had to control myself because I had to meet a friend. Afterward I went crazy running around on the street like a loser.” Amber chuckled, she still remembered that was the most running she ever did in the year. “How about you?” Amber question back.

“Tough. I kept taking a cold shower. I’m glad that I didn’t catch a cold.” Krystal started laughing and Amber joins in.

The two seem a lot less awkward, they can joke around and laugh together at the silly actions they did to calm themselves down. The students who were sitting in the canteen started leaving, it was then Amber realise it was time for class. She looked at her watch and she was right. Krystal saw her looking at her watch and she sensed that she needs to leave.

“You have to go?” Sounding a little disappointed she questioned.

“...Yeah. I have class now.” Amber began packing her things. She slowly got up from the chair as she walks backward heading to the exit but eyes without leaving Krystal. Turning around, she stopped and turns back. She walks back to Krystal “Um... I should apologise to you properly about my friend putting the drugs in our drinks.”

Hearing Amber’s voice again Krystal eyes shot up to see the handsome figure again. “No it’s okay, I already accepted your apology.”

“No it’s not okay... How about I treat you dinner as an apology?” Amber immediately said back.

Krystal didn’t refuse anymore, her heart was racing she felt her face burning but she hope Amber didn’t see the pink shades on her cheeks. She bitted her lower lip trying to stop the smile forming on her face. “Alright.” That was all she could say, it probably sounds stupid but she seriously didn’t know how to react. She never felt like this before even when her first boyfriend asked her out.

Bitting her lower lip as well Amber took her phone out and handed it to Krystal “Mind giving me your number? I’ll call you to confirm the date and time.” This line was taught by Key, saying it’s one of the best lines to get a girl’s number and she never knew it could come in handy for her.

Krystal took her phone and punched in her number before handing back to Amber. Amber took it back she then unwillingly left the canteen without leaving her eyes off Krystal. Even though Amber left already Krystal could still hear her heart thumping inside of her.