Chapter 11

Living in Fears

 

It has been a week already since Krystal and Amber are officially together. For some people a week is enough time to know everything about their partner but for some it might still be the time they get to know their partner more. In Krystal’s situation it seem like they are still in the “getting to know each other” period. She knows relationship should be taken naturally and in a pace where they both are comfortable with but there’s something Krystal isn’t feeling right.


Krystal zoned out thinking of her own problem as her ice in her mocha frappuccino melted making the taste lighter.

“S-o-o-j-u-n-g!” A voice called out and repeated the exact dragged tone 3 times until Krystal kicks back in reality.

“Huh?” Krystal replied with a dumbfounded look.

“Hello there the girl who is in love, I’ve called you three times and you didn’t reply me back even once.” Sulli complained as she sat herself comfortably next to Krystal. “So what are you thinking about that made you ignored my calls?” It was the nosy Sulli again but inside she really cares about her childhood friend.

Krystal look confused when she thought back to her own problem. She looked at Sulli then back to her tasteless frappuccino before releasing a sigh.

“Hey what’s with the expression? You should be happy that you’re with Amber now instead of looking like this. Don’t tell me you guys had a fight already?” Sulli was expecting to see this airy-fairy look on Krystal with her constantly talking about Amber like what normal girls would act when they are in love.

“We’re fine, we didn’t fight or anything in fact things are going great with both of us it’s just...” Krystal hesitated to find the correct work to describe the problem.

“ problems?” Sulli’s eyes shined at the thought.

“No! We’re not up to that stage yet.” Krystal immediately denies with a tint of redness on her face and she whacked Sulli on the arm.

Krystal went quiet again and Sulli just waited for Krystal to speak again while rubbing her arm to ease the pain.

“It felt like... Amber is putting up a barrier between us whenever I try to know her better.” Krystal finally found the word to best describe what she’s feeling, yes it was barrier.

“Oh, that is one big problem.” In Sulli’s eyes Krystal looked helpless and it hurts her to see her childhood friend in that state.  “Look how about we go on a double date? Maybe that will open up Amber a little.” Sulli suggested. She thought this idea would a chance to also get to know the tomboy that Krystal fell for.

 

“You have a boyfriend?” Krystal just discovered something new about Sulli.

 

“Well no I don’t but just to let you know I’m quite popular amongst the guys and for your sake I can just pull up a guy for the date.” Sulli pouted.

 

The girls smiled at each other and it was decided, a double date on this Sunday.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

It was one of the nights again where Amber was in Hearts looking out for the club. She stood on the second floor quietly observing the place. Everything was fine, no trouble, and no fights. She turns around to head back to her office but instead she saw Victoria standing in front of her.

 

“Victoria unnie? What brings you here?” From what Amber remembered it probably has been a year since she last saw Victoria in Hearts.

 

Victoria smiled at Amber and they headed to Amber’s office to continue the talk. Amber punched the pin number in and opened the door for Victoria to enter. They both sat down on the sofa and Victoria replied to the un-answer question.

 

“The drugs were stolen by Lee Joon, he then died and the drugs are now missing. Do you think it’s all a coincident?” Victoria questioned and continued on “And in that time Kim Tae Woo took a leave. I don’t have any evidence that it’s his doing but everything just goes well together. Kim Tae Woo has always wanted to take my spot and it’s no surprise if he’s the mastermind in all this.”

 

“So unnie what do you want me to do?”

 

“I want you and Key to keep a close eye on him and report back any findings.” Amber nodded in respond.

 

Since business is over Victoria moved onto the private chat with Amber. “So I heard from Key you got yourself a little girlfriend?” She wanted to know what kind of girl that has captured Amber’s heart especially the Amber she knew was not concern about love at all.

 

“That big mouth again.” Amber cursed obviously she was referring to Key. “Her name is Krystal we just started dating for a week.” The only two people that Amber can speak her heart out to was Key and Victoria, to her they are the two who is closest to family. Amber did not hesitate to tell anything about her relationship with Krystal in fact she wants to tell Victoria about it instead to Key since he always ask about the topic.

 

Victoria can see the sparks in Amber’s eyes whenever Krystal was mentioned. It wasn’t hard to tell how much Amber loves this girl. She was also quite curious how this girl looks like and from the description she can imagine she’s a beauty.

 

“Don’t say unnie didn’t warn you but be careful, you know it don’t you?” As much as Victoria didn’t want to pull Amber down from her happiness but that’s the truth, family members or love ones always get drags in and end up dying.

 

“I know and I won’t let anything happen to her.” Amber replied back with determine eyes.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

It was 10’o clock in the morning and Amber just arrived in front of the Jung’s house. She sat inside her car and patiently waited for her girlfriend to come out. 5 minutes has passed and the girl she’s been waiting for came running out gorgeously.

 

“Sorry for making you wait.” Krystal enters Amber’s car puffing; she immediately leaned in and gave a quick peck on Amber’s cheek as an apology.

 

“It’s only 5 minutes that’s a lot of improvement.” Amber jokingly teased Krystal as she remembered last time they went out Amber waited for an hour until Krystal appeared. Krystal pouted after hearing Amber’s ‘compliment’, feeling guilty she lean in again and pecked Amber’s cheek until a smile crept up on her smile.

 

Once they were ready Amber start the engine and head to their destination, the amusement park at Lotto World, where they will meet Sulli and her date. The place was decided by Sulli, although as cheesy as it sound it was also the best place where the couples can have some fun together.

 

When they reach to the front entrance from a far distance Krystal spotted the couple waiting for them already. She immediately pulled Amber to walk faster towards the couple.

 

“Soojung why are you always late!” Sulli puts up an angry face immediately when she saw Krystal but couldn’t help and burst out laughing after 10 seconds.

 

The two girls was too happy to see each other again to notice the slight changes on Amber’s face upon hearing the name of a childhood friend. “Soojung?” Amber raised her eyebrow.

 

“Sulli I told you not to call me that.” Krystal eyed Sulli then turns to face Amber “Sorry I didn’t tell you about it before that’s my real name.” It wasn’t that Krystal purposely hid that information from Amber it’s just that nobody calls her Soojung anymore except for Sulli.

 

In a split of a second Amber had a thought whether this Soojung was the Soojung she knew but immediately shook that thought away, same name does not mean same person.

 

“It can’t be real.” She thought as she brings back her focus to the girls.

 

“Omo! I can see why Soojung turn gay after meeting you. You are indeed very handsome.” Sulli averted her attention to the tomboy and spoke whatever comes in her mind. Krystal felt extremely embarrassed but Amber thought it was cute.

 

“Hey let me introduce my friend here, my date for today his name is Onew. He goes to the same university studying to become a doctor.”

 

The four had simply introduced each other and began their fun day together. Being the ‘guy’ in the relationship Amber took care of Krystal: carrying her bag, paying for the entry fees, hugging her tightly when they entered the ghost house and held her hand tightly when they were on the rides. Amber was everything that Krystal wants in a relationship and during the time she felt the barrier was broken down a little. Amber also didn’t realise how much fun it was without having to worry about the problems around her. The four had their fun and they were now dead tired. Onew and Amber went to buy food for the two while the two sitting face to face resting their almost numb legs.

 

“Today was fun.” Krystal spoke while eyes still on Amber.

 

“Soojung, does Amber know about your past?” Seeing though Amber didn’t know Krystal’s real name Sulli was curious how much Amber knows about her past.

 

Krystal shook her head. It never really came to her mind about it and whether it was necessary to tell Amber. It might also be that she didn’t want Amber to know Yiyun stands higher than her in her heart.

 

The double date ended with a big question for Krystal to decide. Should she tell Amber about her past or not?

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

The big question that came up after the double date was still bothering Krystal. Every time she thinks of Amber that question would pop up again. She doesn’t know who else she could talk to, but obviously Sulli isn’t a good choice since she would throw the question back to herself and neither is Jessica. Whenever Krystal was bothered by something she would often go to a church and confess her problem to St. Mary. The thought of that reminds her that there is still one person she could confess to, that is Sister Mary.

 

After all her classes end she immediately headed to the village where Sister Mary lives. The village was far, it takes 2 hours to get there but Krystal couldn’t let this question lying in her heart un-answered anymore. She hailed a taxi and when she arrives to the bottom of the hill the sky was already dim. Alone, she walks up the hill entering the village main entrance. By the time she got there the sky was dark and there weren’t anybody outside. According to her memory she finally found her way to Sister Mary’s house. She knocks on the door once she confirmed the door number. The door opened wide revealing the one who’s going to save her from frustration.

 

“Soojung? What are you doing here at this time?” A confused expression was shown on Sister Mary’s face as she quickly pulls Krystal inside.

 

They were sitting in the living room and Sister Mary poured Krystal a cup of hot tea. Krystal’s body began shaking as the winds blowing quite sturdy outside. The hot tea warmed Krystal up a little and she felt her shaking soften.

 

“I’m sorry to bother you at this time but there’s something on my mind for days. I don’t know who I can ask for advice except you.”

 

Sister Mary took the seat next to Krystal and patted her hand on Krystal’s shoulder lightly indicating the girl to continue on. Krystal took a big breath in and exhales it before speaking.

 

“I’m in love with this girl name Amber. I don’t know if it was love at first sight but the feeling with her was very strong since our first meeting. I always thought about her and not long later we’re together. Everything went fine until I felt the barrier she’s putting between us. The barrier kind of broke down a couple days ago but it was also the day that my problem was born. I don’t know whether I should tell her my past. I’m afraid that she knows about my true identify and that I have someone else more important than her then she might put up that barrier again. Or maybe she might break up with me.” Krystal finally blurts it all out and tears began flowing down her lovely face.

 

“What should I do?” Krystal cried helplessly.

 

“Soojung have you ever thought that she might be feeling the same as well?” Krystal’s head bounced up and gave a perplex look at Sister Mary.

 

“If you say Amber is putting up a barrier between the two of you have you ever thought that you’re also putting a barrier between you and your past?” Sister Mary’s question stunned Krystal. It was true that while Amber was avoiding revealing herself more at the same time Krystal was also avoiding questions about her childhood.

 

“If you want to break the barrier between the two of you, you must break down your own first.” Seeing as though Krystal knows where the problem is and know what to do, Sister Mary left Krystal alone.

 

But before she leaves to her own room she didn’t forget that it’s dangerous for a girl to go home at this time. “I have a spare room here you can sleep here for the night and think deeply about your problem.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

Without noticing her girlfriend was bothered from her own problems the tomboy was also bothered from Krystal’s real name, Soojung. She has been thinking could it be possible that Krystal is her Soojung from childhood? From memory Soojung was sent to America after 2 years of being adopted but from age calculation Krystal’s age is the same as Soojung by now. Age and name could just be a coincident but the strong feeling she felt when she first met Krystal at Hearts was telling her she might be the one that she longed for.

 

Not wanting to slip any chance away to find Soojung Amber decides to do backgrounds check up on Krystal. Using her powers as a member of Blue Dragons she ordered a few men to dig up Krystal’s history, from the hospital she was born to the high school she graduated and even backgrounds of her family and relatives.

 

She received the reports back that were sitting on her office desk after a few days. She was feeling anxious on what she is going to find out about her girlfriend. She read through the report again and again to confirm if she was reading it correctly. Everything in the report matches perfectly to the information she knows about Soojung; like the year she was born, the day she entered the orphanage and the day she left.  There were even paparazzi photos of the Jung’s family and Amber clearly remembered the two faces that adopted Soojung. Happiness overflowed her entire body, tears were gushing out from inside as she finally found the one she’s been longing for. But to her surprise Lee Donghae, the officer that arrested Amber a few times is Krystal’s cousin. This might be a problem for the two.