Chapter 01

Living in Fears

 

Behind Seoul’s most popular club Hearts that is owned by Korea’s biggest organisation Blue Dragons, a guy was chased by a group of Blue Dragons members. The alleyway was dark and moist, the sound of music can heard from the club. When he was about to turn the corner someone from behind kicked him down on the ground.

Sitting back up he shakily turns around and faced the person he fears the most.

“Am... Amber... I’m... I’m sorry.” The guy pleaded and had his arms over his head to protect himself.

Amber the one who looks over Hearts gritted her teeth and with all her strength she kicked the guy on the ground again. The guy screamed out in pain as he grabs a hold of his stomach that has just been kicked.

“Sorry?” Amber tilted her head and stomped on the guy’s stomach once again.

“Arggghhh!!!” The guy screamed in pain.

“You should know better not to mess around in my place.” Amber tugged her jacket as she glare at the guy.

“Amber what should we do to him?” A guy standing beside Amber spoke. His hair was gelled up a part of his hair was shaved on one side and the shaved part was dyed in blonde with a bit of redish orange while the rest was black. “Should we throw him in the ocean or cut him in pieces then feed the dogs?” Key suggested.

The guy immediately started shaking as he heard Key’s words. “Please don’t kill me. Please...” He pleaded once again as he holds onto Amber’s leg.

Amber struggle free her leg and fixed her posture “No, give him a chance of living.”

“Thank you thank you...” The guy started bowing to Amber like she was some god that saved his life.

Key chuckled as he knew Amber too well that she probably thought of something more painful than throwing him in the ocean or cuts him in pieces. He stood still as he waits for Amber to voice out her commands.

“Since you dare to sell your drugs in my club then you must think your drugs are better. Then I’ll let you taste it all.” Amber smirked. “Guys feed him all those pills. Make sure he swallows every single one and if he still survives then you’re happy to leave.” Amber pointed to the bag full of ecstasy pills that was dropped out of his pocket.

“No... No... Please...”  The guy was more feared than before he tried to escape but was pinned down by Amber’s followers.

“Yes boss!” A few guys then forced the guy’s mouth open and they forced the pills down his throat.

“You should check out who you’re messing with next time.” Key warned the guy and turns around to follow Amber.

The Blue Dragons is an organisation that deals with gambling, drug-dealing, ion, night clubs, massaging centres and anything that are illegal and seem legal. The organisation first started in Thailand but soon it spread to China and Korea, now they are the largest illegal organisation in Asia.

Hearts is a club that is owned by Blue Dragons, it’s the most popular club in Seoul and one that sells the best candies which guarantee makes you high. Two years ago this club was handed over to Amber to take care of by Blue Dragon’s boss. Amber doesn’t stand high within the organisation but she stands high within the Blue Dragon’s boss’s heart. It was a mystery how Amber got to this position but people knew its best not to mess with this tomboy.

Within these two years Amber did her job as she was suppose to and with her intelligent mind Hearts income increased a lot even on weekdays. As Amber’s best buddy Key helped Amber a lot, they’ve known each other for five years and Key practically knows everything about Amber.

----

“Amber! Wait up!” Key shouted from behind. He had his hair brushed down on one side to cover his shaved blondes. He wore a thick black glasses frame, a pink polo shirt, tight blue skinny jeans that was rolled up a bit to reveal his ankle and a pair of low white Converse.

“What’s with the look?” Amber questioned as she eyed Key from head to toe. She knew Key is a fashion freak but this was the first time she saw Key wearing such style.

“What is wrong with my style?” Key looked at his own pink polo shirt and back to Amber.

“You look like an otaku.” Amber said and she continues to walk.

Key followed behind “What? This is the latest fashion man and don’t you think I look smart wearing this?”

“No you don’t. In fact you look like a manic more than an otaku now.” Amber looked at Key once again before she continues to her destination. She then remembered “By the way why are you here?”

The place they are in now was not the club or the streets but Seoul National University. Two years ago when Amber just took care of Hearts she had been attending college to further her knowledge. As her results in college were outstanding she was recommended by her teacher to further her studies in Seoul National University and with the teacher’s help Amber enrolled in Seoul National University. Her studies was not affected at all with her managing the club as she was a smart girl and Key was there to help her out.

“I know I’m not a student here but I’m curious what a student here is like.” Key looked around as he continues to follow Amber to class. Key is smart as well but he’s quite the lazy type so after he finished high school he didn’t bother to study anymore which was a waste.

Through the way to the lecture room Amber and Key have caught the attention of many girls. The girls would stare, squeal and gossip of the handsome duo wondering if they have a girlfriend or not and wanting to know them. Amber ignored those girls while Key is giving his cutest smile to all the girls who are staring at them.

“Seeing all these pretty girls here I also want to enrol in this uni.”

“Key, after all those years of knowing you I still don’t understand how you can say you’re gay and not biual.” Although Amber knew Key for five years but she still couldn’t understand that part of him.

“How many times have I said, I can a girl but I never can love a girl like I do for a guy. What part of it don’t you understand?” Key eyed at Amber.

“Whatever.” Amber rolled her eyes as she still doesn’t understand.

They both walked into the lecture room and found a seat at the back. During the entire lecture Amber concentrated on taking notes while Key fell asleep and during break many girls tried approaching Amber but all received Amber’s cold attitude. Her cold attitude wasn’t disliked at all in fact all the girls found her more charming and mysterious. Even though Amber is a girl but her boyish charm can turn many girls into a lesbian.

After class it was almost night time Amber headed back home then back to Hearts. Although it was a weekday but Hearts was crowded with teens and adults all looking for some ways to release their stress. The club was pumped with r&b music and the people their all danced freely to the beat of the music. Amber stood on the second floor and observing the club if there’s anyone here to make trouble.

“Hey!” Key approached Amber with two bottles of beer. He handed one to Amber then throws his empty arm over to Amber’s shoulder.

“Hey come on relax and have some fun.” Key gave a squeeze at Amber’s shoulder who have been feeling pressured because of the recent events.

“How can I relax? We received orders that we need to watch out for Lee Joon and if we see him we must catch him.” Amber sighed. She is responsible for this club and if anything goes wrong she is the one who will be responsible for it.

“Do you really think Lee Joon is the one who stole the drugs from boss?” Key frowned. Not believing that was the truth Key questioned.

Taking a deep breath Amber answered back “I don’t know. What we think isn’t important and it’s better to stay out of it.” After a couple seconds of silent between the two Amber spoke again “Do you still love him?”

Key who usually talks a lot was for once quiet. Memories of how they met, how they fell in love, how they started dating and how he cheated on him all flowed back in his head. He shook his head “No I don’t.”

----

It was a Friday night, a night where all the teens and young adults are out hunting for fun to relax after a week of hard work. The speakers pumped the same r&b music the people are all high dancing to the beat and drinking until they are knock out.

Amber was in her office at the club with a few of her followers inside. She unlocked the safe twining the 4 digits and took out bags of coloured pills. She throws a bag of drugs to each of her followers telling them that they will need to sell all these out tonight. Her followers bowed to her and they all left the office to do their job. Amber then recorded down the amount of pills she handed out tonight on the notebook then place the notebook back in the safe and locked it. Once she locked the safe Key came running in her office.

“Amber! Lee Joon was caught at the back entrance of our club.” Key spoke as he was still catching his breath. “I have already ordered the security to look after him.”

Amber stood up from her chair and ran out of the office to see Lee Joon. Key followed behind and they arrived at the club’s back entrance. Lee Joon was gone and Amber grabbed the collar of the security guard that was lying on the floor.

Pushing him against the wall she asked fiercely “Where’s Lee Joon?”

“He... ran away.” Afraid, his shaking hand pointed left to the direction that he ran off to. Although Amber is only a girl but everyone worked here knew about her past rumours and many people doesn’t dare to mess with her.

Amber threw him down on the floor and ran to the pointed direction. Key followed closely behind but there was no way they could catch Lee Joon again as the street was crowded with people. Key’s phone rang and he picked up, he didn’t say a word and just hang up.

“Amber they say Lee Joon is at that empty factory.” Without naming the factory Amber knew where it was. There was only one empty factory near Hearts and only place where hardly anyone goes.

Amber and Key ran to the empty factory, the place was pitch black with only tiny lights shining through the broken holes of the ceiling and old dusty machines covered with spider webs can be seen. They tried to be careful not to make a noise then suddenly BANG! The door was closed from behind kicks and punches were thrown at them by a couple of men in black suits. Luckily both of them are taekwondo black-belts and are experienced in hand to hand combat. With their quick reflexes they blocked all the attacks and one by one they took them down.

At such a messed situation Lee Joon who was hiding in here took the chance to escape from the back entrance, even if Amber was busy taking these men down at the corner of her eyes she managed to spot Lee Joon. She startled and was going to run after him but was stopped by one of those men in black suits. When she was about to kick him down siren sound was heard the men in black suits quickly stopped their movements and escape from the back entrance. The closed factory door was kicked opened by a force of police men. They all pointed their guns Amber and Key raised their hands up show surrender. Amber cursed as Lee Joon was once again escaped.

Amber and Key were all brought back to the police station to be questioned. To Amber and Key they are very familiar with this place, throughout their years of living as a member of the Blue Dragons they have spent a lot of their time in and out of this place.

“Inspector Lee Donghae, we meet again.” Amber bowed to Donghae who have been following the cases of Blue Dragons ever since they first met.

 Donghae greeted Amber back and they both sat down facing each other. It was as though they known each for a long time Donghae handed Amber a cup of her favourite black coffee before starting the questionnaire.

“So Amber Liu, tell me why you were there?” Donghae started his questionnaire.

Amber hesitated to answer back as she doesn’t know how much the police know about this case.

The long silence annoyed the other officer who sat next to Donghae the whole time. He lost his temper and slammed his hand on the desk. “Answer our question! Was it because you guys were looking for Lee Joon? “ Donghae calmed his junior down and continue to question “We investigated that Lee Joon stole the 10 million worth of drugs that suppose to be a drug-deal with the Black Tops. Now he’s being after by Blue Dragons and Black Tops. But we found out there’s more behind this.”

Amber took a sip of her black coffee before answering the question “I don’t know what actually is happening, I’m just an unknown in the gang I was ordered to capture Lee Joon and that was it.” Amber honestly replied back. After the long questioning the police couldn’t get anything out from Amber or Key and they only could release them after locking them for 48 hours.

Amber and Key both walked out of the questioning room stretching their arms and legs out. They both yawned and winced as they finally saw bright lights.

Donghae walked out of the room as well “Even though this time we didn’t get anything out from you but I’m sure we can found out what’s behind all this.”

“Well I hope you do.” Amber started walking away without looking back at them.

“Also I heard you started attending university. Amber you’re actually a smart and young girl there’s a better path for you than being in the Blue Dragons.” Donghae shouted from behind, he knew Amber when he first entered the police force and all these years of investigating the Blue Dragons he discovered that Amber is different from those little gangsters. When looking in her eyes he feels sadness that she doesn’t want to live a life like this.