Ch. 18

Melted Ice.

-No one's POV-

Driing.

At the second Sehun heard the bell ringing, he packed his stuffs in his bag and ran out of the classroom the quickest he could. Sometimes, when he ran, he felt like his long legs were flying and the wind was helping him taking him away. It wasn't the first time he did this, and everyday he prayed for this time not being the last time. Taeyeon looked at him in the corner of her eyes, with a sad look. She knew this situation, she felt bad for Sehun, but there was nothing she could do. Sehun already told her a thousands time why he started to run out of the classroom everyday after school, and Taeyeon would always be mad at him for letting her alone although she knew there was the Chinese band (this name never left their lips). Sehun would always apologize, but both of them knew Taeyeon was only joking.

Sehun rushed out of the school, not minding to go to his locker, and took a taxi. He would keep telling the driver 'faster, drive faster, damn, cars why don't you move' and the driver would end up shouting, which made Sehun laugh a bit, and continue. The driver would be very annoyed, but for money, he kept driving. When Sehun arrived where he wanted to be, he quickly gave the money and ran into the white and big building. He couldn't waste time, every seconds were a treasure for him.

Room 269

He kept repeating those words in his lips, the words which made him so sad, and it would always make him laugh, the fact that 69 was in the room number. Sehun was still childlish in the inside, but of course, nobody could know. He went out of the elevator at the 2nd floor and rushed to the Room 269. He looked at the blur window in the door to see if there was any nurse inside, and since there wasn't, he knocked and entered after hearing his lover's beautiful voice telling him to come in. He opened the door slowly and made a step in the room he knew so well. 

All the walls were completely white, there wasn't any dirt anywhere. Sehun closed the door and looked at his lover lying on the white and pale blue bed, circled with machines. It broke his heart to see him like this, still smiled at him. Everyday, he felt like a part of his heart was ripped out at the sight of his lover being almost as pale as his sheet. He took off his coat and laid it on the free bed next to his lover's, and sat on the bed. Silence was dominating, but the only fact that Sehun and Luhan were staring at each other's eyes was enough for the both of them.

Luhan was the first to make a move, he slowly turned himself to take something on the little table situated next to him. It was a notepad, with only piece of paper. He then took a pen, and tried to write something. It took a quite long time for someone who was only writing a few words, it made Sehun worried, but he could understand. Luhan was in an hospital and it wasn't for nothing. Sehun then heard Luhan's breaths getting louder and louder, and faster and faster. Sehun obviously understood that something was wrong, but he didn't know how to repair that, so he just rushed on Luhan and took him in his arms, telling him to calm down. Luhan only managed to make a small smile to reassure him, and showed him his notepad.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Sehun saw this, his mouth opened and he couldn't close it anymore. It was a language he didn't know, but it seemed familiar to him. He didn't know a lot about different languages, but for him it seemed like Japanese or Chinese. He was swimming in his thoughts, wondering how he could find out the meaning of this message, since he couldn't ask Luhan, because he couldn't speak. The fact that he couldn't speak was still something hard to accept for him. His soft voice that he used to love so much, he will never be able to hear it once again, and he didn't realize that, he didn't want to.

At this moment, he heard a knock and saw the door opening. Behind the door, Sehun saw a female figure and quickly realize it was Taeyeon who entered the room. Sehun greeted her with the largest smile he could do, which wasn't so large. Taeyeon greeted him back, but with a larger smile. She quickly noticed the notepad and walked toward it to see it. He then did the 'o' form with and her eyes seemed to fall, like if the message was meaning something horrible.

"Did Luhan write it ?" She asked, like if the strange message meant anything. Sehun wondered why the question, but he just nodded, eyes big, full of questions. Taeyeon then looked at him with a hopeless look and looked down at the ground. "Luhan is a chinese fox." She finally said after a small silence, which Sehun thought was so long. So the message would be in chinese ? He wondered. "I have some bases in chinese. I learned chinese when I was small but it just interested me so much that I kept studying non-stop. So the bases didn't leave my mind." She said, explaining why she was able to understand the message. "I stopped because I had too much work." She added, in case Sehun wondered, which wasn't the case. He was too interested in the message.

"So what is the message ?" He finally said, sounding like he didn't care of Taeyeon's life, but Taeyeon was such a nice girl, she understood how Sehun felt. It was the first message Luhan had writting which wasn't in korean, so they found it curious, so Sehun wondered if the message had a special meaning for him writing in another language. Before, all his messages were always like "Today was a shiny day" so of course making special messages wouldn't be so difficult.

"请不要离开, it says." Taeyeon says. 

"Qing.. qing bu yao.. l-li kai ?" Sehun tries to repeat, and Taeyeon tries to hide her laugh when she heard the boy's accent. It was funny to hear, but it sure wasn't in the right atmosphere. "And what does it mean?" Taeyeon opened to talk, but she then looked at Luhan who was sleeeping and obviously bothered by when they were talking, so Taeyeon approached to Sehun's ear to whisper him the meaning of Luhan's message. When Sehun heard it, his eyes automaticly opened wider. They were then wet and a tear finished by flow out of his eye. Taeyeon then left the room, without saying anything. Sehun let himself fall on the free bed and started to cry, as silently as he could not to bother his lover in his sleep.

~The next morning~

Sehun opened hardly his eyes the next morning, but he immediatly notices that he's waking up not because of his alarm clock, but because someone is calling him on his phone. He lazily, with an eye half closed, takes his phone to see how is the crazy one to call him at that hour, 5:17am to be precise. He suddenly gets off his bed when he sees who's the number who's callling him. 

Luhan's adoptive mother.

"Hello ?" Sehun says with a worried but husky voice through his phone. His voice wasn't nice the morning, it was very husky and trembling and nobody could understand him very well, but this time he made an effort, because if Luhan's adoptive mother was calling him, then something should have surely happened. It reminded him of Luhan's mysterious message the day before. 

"Can you come at the hospital ? Please, the doctor has to tell us something." Luhan's adoptive mother just managed to say, and before Sehun had time to realize her words and answer her, she immediately hung up. Sehun needed some time to realize the mother's word, and as soon as he did, he rushed on his clothes to get dressed. He didn't even worry if he took dirty clothes which he hadn't washed for 3 weeks, and didn't even minded to do his hair. He took his keys, letting his parents alone in his home, without a word. He told himself that they could still call him on his phone anyway.

Sehun took the first taxi he saw, luckily there was one pretty quickly although it wasn't an appropriate hour. But this time, he didn't annoy the driver telling him to go faster and complaining because of the other cars. He was too focused on Luhan's mother's words before. He wondered what did the doctor have to tell him. He started to imagine the worst case for Luhan. What if he'll transform today and I'll only be able to hug a last time today? He kept asking nonsense questions in his head.

Sehun didn't even realize when he already arrived at the hospital, this big and white building which was so familiar. He even forgot to pay, but the driver was here to remind him. He quickly apologized, gave him the money and ran towards the hospital's reception to ask where he was supposed to go to meet the doctor and Luhan's mother. They told him after a little wait and he immediately ran towards the direction the reception pointed him. When he arrived at the room, after a lot of rounds in the hospital, he knocked and waited several seconds, before the door opened and he was facing a tall doctor.

"Hello. You must be Oh Sehun." The doctor said with a calm and reassuring voice, and Sehun nodded, still breathing and breathing, trying to recover from the running. The doctor made him enter and sat, in front of Luhan's mother and Sehun. "I can start now." He said, smiling to Luhan's mother, like if they were talking about something before, but the doctor couldn't say what he had to tell her until Sehun arrived. "Your son," he finally started, looking at Luhan's mother. "His condition was getting better yesterday.." He said with a hopeless voice which made Sehun shiver. Yesterday or tomorrow were words he couldn't stand. He didn't count days, he didn't know when was yesterday and when will be tomorrow. He didn't count days, he enjoyed them.

"Today.." The doctor continued. "He had a heart attack this morning."

Sehun wanted to laugh. This wasn't right.

"He was taken to emergency. The reason is unkown for the moment."

Sehun wanted to shout to the doctor, telling him to shut up and tell the truth. 

"Luhan." The doctor said, bitterly. "is still in emergency now." He breathed deeply.

 

"For the moment, there is not a lot of chances for him to survive."

 

Luhan's mother just managed to look down and let a tear flow out, while Sehun stayed still, almost laughing. He was ashamed that he was in this situation. It had never happened to him. For him, men were only humans, living because they had to, they were born so they had to do something with ther lives, they had to succeed, they had to do something. He thought people were living because they had to, but when he met Taeyeon and Luhan, everything just changed. His world went upside down, and he had never realized that. 

"You can wait for him in the waiting room here." The doctor said as he pointed a room. "Or you can go back to your home, we'll call you when we'll get something." Both of the mother and Sehun shook their heads. They were definitely staying here, even if they had to wait 24 hours. They could do everything only for Luhan. The doctor finished by getting up, and shaking hands with both of them while bowing, as they did so. They went out of the room and walked to the waiting room, seperating from the doctor. They then sat, there were nobody in the waiting room, since it was very early in the morning, there was an awkward silence dominating.

"Thanks, Sehun." The mother said, breaking the silence, and Sehun looked at her, strangely. "Luhan.. Luhan was a lost child when I adopted him in China. He had always sad eyes which I thought would fall one day. He was a cutie, who smiled for nothing, but whenever he didn't smile, he seemed so sad. He had no friends. He was always alone, he never wanted to go outside. His family, his home was the only thing for him. I, personally never saw him cry once until he reached 14 years old. The first time I saw him cry was.." She hesitated and started to cry. "He was just coming back from school, and he had.. he always had this smile stuck on his face, but that time, it was.. it was so fake.. He ran into my arms and hugged me the tightest he could. Then.. then I didn't know why he did that and I felt something wet on my shoulder and I realized he was crying silently. I told him it was okay and he could cry as loudly as he could. So did he."

The mother stopped to cry. "He told me everything, this time." she continued when she calmed down a bit. "He told me how much he was lonely, how much he was trying to be perfect, but everyone rejected him. He imagined friends, at every breaks, he would go in the toilet and imagine friends, like mr. radiator and, it was his only life. I knew nothing about that. He told me he lived this way during so many years."

"That day.. that day I promised him to get him a better life."

Sehun ended up crying as well. He couldn't resist. 

"He .. He begged me to move away." The mother continued. "He got on his knees."

"For Christmas, he wrote a letter to Santa Claus. He wrote that for Christmas he wanted a life, a real life. He wanted a life he was supposed to live in. Not a life where he was living to be hated." Sehun's tears couldn't stop, he couldn't even breathe. Luhan's mother finished by hugging him. "But I.. I was too poor to move..I had a job there and if I quited the job, we'd end up poor. I didn't want to tell him that, it would break his heart. I didn't know what to do. One day, I met someone at my job and he told me his son was in the same school as mine. I wanted to hit him that time, for letting my son in this misfortune. But day passed, and he kept telling me everything about his son and how great he was, and I didn't dare to hit him, but unfortunately, one day, I did. I hit it hard. My boss dissmissed me. I lost my job this day."

Luhan's mother wanted to continue her story, but a nurse came in the waiting room and looked at them with big eyes. Sehun's eyes were red from crying, but he was still interested by why was the nurse coming in the room. The nurse was breathing hard, maybe wanting to catch up her breaths because she had ran fast. She had big eyes, breathing a lot, and for Sehun, she was really beautiful. Her hand was still on the door. 

"You can visit Luhan now." She said happily, with a big smile written on her face.