Chapter 24

This Way

 

Chapter 24 - I really mean it
 
Areum came home, headed upstairs to her room she shares with Danee. It was empty when she came in. She puts her handbag on the floor and found the same gift bag Danee wanted to give her earlier today.
 
Areum went to it and found a cute cupcake decorated with 'UNNIE ^^' on it. She also found a letter in it.
 
She sat down and began reading it.
 
"Dear Lee Areum unnie,
 
I, Kim Danee is young and selfish. I am also foolish and stupid. I am no deserving of love from you because what I had said to you last night. I was caught in my own anger and had disrespected you as my older sister. Truly unnie, I am sorry. I know you wouldn't want to listen to me, you've been scolded by other unnies a lot of time because of me. So I understand your cold hands not wanting to greet me. Unnie, I really didn't mean what I said and I am very sorry. I am sorry you got scolded because of me. You're a very hardworking person so I know I have to work twice as hard to be good as you when I became an official member. Unnie, I really don't want to fight with you because you're the only one that would understand me in this group because we share the same luck. Unnie, I'm asking one more time to forgive my faulty mouth. 
 
I have figured you wouldn't want to see me so I'm staying with my mom for a while. 
 
I hope we can become close, Unnie.
Sorry, very sorry again.
 
-Danee"
 
Areum ended the long letter.
"This is one long letter," Areum sighed.
 
Areum stared at the cupcake and finally indulges it.
 
 
Jiyeon can't seem to sleep since their comeback is nearing and she felt helpless. Jiyeon packed her pillow and blanket and walked into Areum's room.
 
"Oh unnie?" Areum was studying for her upcoming college entrance exam.
 
"Can I sleep here tonight?" Jiyeon asked and Areum nodded in shock.
 
"What are you doing?" Jiyeon asked Areum while lying down on Danee's bed.
 
"Entrance exam unnie.."
 
"Why so fast? It only two months away.." Jiyeon said and checked her unreplied text to Hwayoung.
 
"I have to use all the time I have unnie.."
 
"Wah, you are really hardworking Areum ah.. Good job!" Jiyeon praised and for the first time Areum smiled in bliss.
 
Jiyeon was quiet that Areum thought she had fallen asleep.
 
"Areum ah.. Do you feel left out?" Jiyeon suddenly asked a risky question.
 
"Wha..what do you mean unnie?" Areum laughed it off awkwardly.
 
"Don't feel like that.. Don't ever ever feel like that.." Jiyeon said and Areum nodded, hiding her loneliness.
 
"You know, whenever you feel unwanted and lonely, you can come to me, I've never had a younger sister before so I think I'm gonna do quite well.." Jiyeon smiled.
 
"Do you feel like Danee got more attention?" Jiyeon asked Areum.
 
Areum was silent for a long time before she finally gives a small nod.
Jiyeon got off her bed and went to Areum.
 
"You know, I once felt exactly the same way you are feeling now, your Hwayoung unnie got more love after she entered so I felt left out. That's why I find it kinda funny when she said she felt outcasted.." Jiyeon hugged Areum from the side.
 
"How come I didn't get much love when I came in?" Areum bravely asked.
 
"Because you didn't give us time and the controversy came so you didn't get it.. Aren't you getting it now from me?" Jiyeon said.
 
"You know I didn't mean to slap  Danee last time.." Areum said while lowering her head.
 
"I'm sure she didn't mean what she said to you too.." Jiyeon said and Areum looked at her.
 
"She told you?" Areum asked.
 
"I think both of you have have issues. Jealousy. Perfectly normal! But why don't you become the bigger person and forgive her already and start new?" Jiyeon said and moved to her bed again.
 
"Study hard, Areum ah! I'm going to sleep now!" Jiyeon pulled her blanket.
 
Areum took her hand phone and texted a number she never texted before.
 
"You can come home tomorrow." 
 
It was to Danee.