CHAPTER 2: He's Quick

You're Good, But I'm Better

He put his book on his desk, took a look at you from head to toe and raised one eyebrow.

“The seat isn’t taken.” He said ever so calmly.

At first you stared then you sat down. The teacher came in and told the class to introduce themselves. Your seatmate’s turn came.

“Cho Kyuhyun imnida. (I’m Cho Kyuhyun)” he vaguely said.

“Annyeong Hasaeyo! Choneun Lee Chaejin imnida (Hello! I’m _______)” you said next.

“Huh. “CHO”. Why does that sound so familiar?” you thought to yourself.

Kyuhyun’s POV~

“This girl is a mess. But I’ve never seen her around the school.”

“And what kind of girl shouts at her first meeting especially with a guy like me?”

“Still, there was something about her confidence to just do that”…

 “Class, the person you are sitting beside shall be your partner with any and every activity we will be having.” The teacher announced.

Your POV~

“What?! I’m stuck with this guy?! I mean don’t get me wrong, I think he’s smart and all but I don’t even know him!”

“Calm down, you’re not going to stay for long. You just gotta put up with it for now.”

Kyuhyun’s POV~

You moved on to your next period which was Chemistry. You’ve never really liked the subject but you get the lessons.

“Good morning everyone.” The professor said sternly.

“For today, I’d like you all to have a simple experiment with your partner”.

You thought to start your mischief there.

“I want you to determine what outcome you’d have if you do this and that with this blah blah blah”. The professor went on.

He hasn’t said a single word”

Then the professor said to start.

“Here, heat this substance (it’s in a test tube) in the Bunsen burner for about 15 seconds. DON’T exceed the time duration.” Kyuhyun finally said/commanded to you.

Here’s my chance! Hmm well let’s see, he said don’t exceed 15 seconds. I guess I’ll “accidentally” heat it up to 25 seconds! And I remember the teacher saying that we’re supposed to have some kind of reaction in the process of mixing these up. Oh I’ll give him a reaction” *muhuhahahha*

You found the most familiar substance to you in your station, Cyanide. You’ve always loved it because it either caused trouble or just made people’s skin crawl when it is applied.

You added the cyanide you saw and heat the mixture for 25 seconds.

When you handed him the test tube, he poured it to the mixture right away. The mixture bubbled up and Kyuhyun’s face was completely puzzled. He couldn’t understand why this was happening. You pretend to worry too. He quickly grabs a certain packet of powder from the Chemistry supply each station had. The bubbling went down once he poured it in.

“Did you follow my instructions?” he asked you in the calmest way he could possibly say.

“Yeah!” you swiftly lied and tried to contain the smile which was dying to be let out.

He let out a sigh and turned to your experiment.

“Chaejin and Kyuhyun! Let me see what you two have worked on.” The professor said as he approached your station in the room.

He looked at the mixture Kyuhyun made, picked it up and shook it a bit. He nodded.

“Good work.” He said and went to the other stations.

You were dumbfounded and a bit annoyed because your scheme failed.