Chapter 9 - Jealous

Broken Triangle

 

S POV

            The next day, I made up my mind. There was nothing to it. I need to tell Jasmine that her precious oppa was playing her. She wouldn’t like it, but I cannot stand to see him treat her the way he treated his past girlfriends. This time he is going too far. I seethed with rage and tried to not picture plummeting his pretty kingka face. Or maybe I should, see how much the ladies like him then.

            I managed to avoid his eyes all day during our rehearsal, but his words continued to burn in my mind. “Toy around, play with her affections, break her heart a little.” That bastard. I twirled around without looking and heard a horrible shatter.

            Heads popped up to stare in my direction. Shoot, in my anger, I had knocked over a fluorescent light tube. I felt my face ignite as I hobbled over the shattered shards, and tried to help them clean up. The janitor shook his head and shooed me away, leaving me to feel miserable about myself. From across the room, Eunhyuk looked up and smirked. That instantaneously brought back all the violent feelings.

            I kicked at the door as I was leaving and tried to compose myself before meeting Jasmine. I ran my words over and over in my head. How could I word it so that I get my point across without coming across as a jealous bastard? Argh, it was impossible. My speech continued to reel in my mind until all the words jumbled together. By the time she walked out of the school, I was completely tongue-tied.

            Jasmine looked surprised to see me but smiled and came over. “Oppa! Why aren’t you at practice? Come on, let’s head to the studio.”

            I shook my head. “Schedules ended for the day. Besides, I have something to tell you.”

            She looked over curiously. “Oh?”

            “Yeah, it’s about Eunhyuk.” The moment I mentioned his name, she blushed and her gaze fell onto the ground. I felt a sickening in my stomach as I tried to comprehend what that could possibly mean. I much rather have just let it go and not think about it.

            “What about him? I really hope it’s something good.”

            I stared at her in cold shock. “Do you like him or something?” The words flew out of my mouth and I didn’t bother attempting to backpedal. If I were to go to such lengths to tell her about his treachery, I might as well know if she liked him.

            She shuffled a bit, and the tips of her ears burned a startling scarlet. I had my answer. I felt all my hopes of these few months sink down to my toes and diffuse into the soil. Why was he so lucky? All the girls who he didn’t deserve fall at his feet eventually.

            “But before you get too confident, I’ll let you know I already have her under my spell.” His words echoed in my head. He was right, that good for nothing son of a gun. I wanted to throttle him. How dare he swoop in and take her heart? It wasn’t meant to be his. I stayed silent for a while longer. Jasmine poked me.

            “Oppa, what’s wrong?”

            When I spoke, my throat was hoarse. “Don’t call me oppa. It’s so intimate. And that’s definitely not good if you like someone. I hope you realize that he doesn’t like you. He would never like someone like you. He’s just playing with you.” My formerly articulate speech came out garbled and wrangled, the meanings completed twisted.

            Her face changed and for a second I thought the hurt was directed at him. But her arm came up as if to slap me. Slap me. “How dare you? You know what? You’re just bitter that he happens to be more popular. He told me about this. He told me you were always competing with him about popularity. But I thought he was joking!”

            I sputtered indignantly. Me compete with him? What was this crap? “What the heck are you talking about?”

            “And what do you mean by he would ‘never like someone like me?’ I’m sorry I’m so beneath you. But just because you think that way does not mean everyone in your band does.” She huffed away, truly annoyed.

            I ran after her and pulled her arm. “You’re getting it all wrong. I heard him last night! He told Donghae he was only toying with you!”

            Her eyes shone with tears. “Why are you telling me this? Maybe I never thought we had a chance anyway! I don’t believe you. I thought you wanted me to be happy.” Wrenching her arm away, she ran down the gravel path. I decided to let her go. No amount of pleading will gain me back to her good graces.

J POV

            I  kicked at the gravel as I ran home, trying to stop my tears. This was ridiculous. In all my twenty-one years I have never felt so played like a fool. I always thought I was strong enough to withstand the hurtful species my friends called males. And here I am, at the mercy of one, and being hurt by another.

            I couldn’t believe Sungmin would lie just to keep me away from Eunhyuk. Maybe his intentions were good, I thought. But then I pictured the gentlemanly way Eunhyuk held himself and the kindness he showed me. If Sungmin was right, I was truly naïve. But I didn’t want him to be right. And that was what scared me most of all. 

I've been here an entire year now, and I cannot thank my loyal readers enough. Kamsahamnida and Saranghae! Monkey Emoticons