Chapter 20 - Lies

Broken Triangle

 

S POV

            The next day, I knew that I had to prepare something for her. I went to the flower shop and ordered her favorite flowers. “May I have jasmines and daisies as well as a few sprigs of lilies?” I requested that the bouquet was put in asymmetrical color order.

            It was a complicated order but she once told me it was what she liked and so I did it for her. I walked into a toy shop and looked around until I found the perfect present for her. I picked out a beautiful stuffed panda bear and hugged it to the flowers. The only thing missing now was something that was more personal.

            I sat down and wrote out a long letter to her. I needed to tell her that I was the one for her. But at the same time, it was futile. She would never see it. All this time, she only looked to me because I was there, I was convenient. I laughed bitterly to myself. Might as well face defeat while I can.

E POV

            Like the fool I was, I wanted to compete. I knew I had been the one to let her go but I also wanted to make sure that I got in my share. I didn’t want to just let her go so easily. It was good that she wants to make us finally choose. It was good that she was going to finally pick someone rather than have us dangling, forever waiting.

            I took a deep breath and walked into a toy shop and found her a stuffed monkey. This was something for her to remember me by at least. I knew that if Sungmin won, and there was always the chance, I will at least know, I didn’t do wrong by her.

            Right before I went to her house, I darted into a flower store and bought her favorite arrangement. I had the lilies clash with the daisies and dotted jasmines all over. Please, I prayed to myself, please don’t make my work be futile.

J POV

            I checked my watch. They should be arriving any minute. Ironically, I heard both cars pull up at the same time. I closed my eyes, already knowing my decision before I could give them the chance I had promised I would give them.

            Sungmin was already glaring at Eunhyuk and the latter was looking about to throw a punch. It was only when I looked carefully that I knew why. The two had actually mirrored their gifts. I wanted to laugh, I wanted to cry. This was not what I pictured.

            I walked out to the lawn and Sungmin started to speak. “Jasmine, please, he didn’t even know your favorite things until you started dating. I’ve been taking note ever since the beginning.”

            Eunhyuk argued, “It doesn’t’ matter. You had no ounce of imagination and now we’re stuck with the same presents. Did you follow me?”

            I put up a hand, already tired of this. Now I know why Kyuhyun and Donghae had wanted to speak to me. Before this, I was aware of tension, but never understood that there would be such intense tension. My head pounded and I put up a hand.

            “I’m going to tell you this. This won’t work for the both of you. Please. Leave me. You’ll understand why.”

            “But you promised to give us a chance,” they argued.

            I looked up and prayed my strength wouldn’t fail me now. “Go. You’ll understand all of it tomorrow.”

            When I left them, bewildered, and walked into my house, I could only see the beginnings of a life that had ended, and what will have to start anew tomorrow.

 

Last chapter will be up next.

Pleaes anticipate