Chapter 15 - Lie To Save

Broken Triangle

 

J POV

            Time heals nothing. The only pretense of happiness is only that. A lie. I knew that if Sungmin saw me upset, he would hate Eunhyuk and I didn’t want that. I had already caused enough rift between the two to create anymore tension.

            I went back to work simply because it was enough to see Sungmin-oppa and I knew that he would avoid me. There had been no rumors of him and Sooyoung but I knew better than to hope. I did my job professionally and studied hard.

            “Jasmine.” I froze. It was him and it was the first time in two months he had tried to talk to me. I didn’t turn around but I heard him jog up to catch up. “Look, we need to talk.”

            I tried to be as firm as possible. “The time to talk has long passed. Now, I just want closure. Please, leave me alone.”

            He looked pained. “I wanted to apologize. Things didn’t go out the way I planned. The thing is, I broke up with you purely because I thought you would be happier with Sungmin. I thought that you liked him more and it would take me leaving you for you to realize. I know it’s too late and I have a reputation, but I think I’ve actually fallen for you.”

            I stared at him. He stood before me, looking so vulnerable I didn’t know what to say. I looked down at the floor. “Why are you telling me this?”

            “I guess I just wanted to say that I made a mistake. I would still love to be with you but if you’re happier with Sungmin, then I have no other say.”

            I knew that any sensible girl would shoot him down, dash his hopes and tell him that he was being stupid. I knew that it was the right thing to do. But there was something so innocent and open about the way he confessed his true feelings that I had to ask. “What about Sooyoung?”

            “She knew from the beginning what I was doing. She knew and wanted to help. She didn’t want to see the two of us fight. It wasn’t the best way but I had to convince you. I guess it made Sungmin hate me more though. But at least we’re no longer dragging you in between us.”

            I nodded stupidly, not knowing what to say. “I guess I’m happy. Sungmin and I are really just friends. I think it would be healthier for him to not have feelings for me.”

            He looked at me. “Do you really think that way?”

            “Against my better judgment, I actually think that I may still like you. It didn’t matter that you told me to go away. It didn’t matter that you cheated on me. The entire time, the only thing I focused on was that you broke up with me. It didn’t register per se that you had kissed another girl. I still liked you.”

            He looked hopeful. “Do you still like me?” He walked closer and I knew that things were getting dangerous. But I never took risks. Maybe this one time.

            I didn’t move as I looked him straight in the eye. “I think so.”

            He tilted my chin up and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around him and felt that I was doing something right for once. I didn’t have to worry about working hard and going to Julliard. I had this one chance to live.

            “What the hell?”

            We broke apart and I saw Sungmin walking towards us. He wasn’t upset. He was hurt. He stared at me, as if I had betrayed him and I knew I had. I looked at Eunhyuk and he seemed slightly defiant. I pushed him away and started to run.

S POV

            “Is this what you do the moment my back is turned? You go after Jasmine after you hurt her?” I stalked him angrily.

            Eunhyuk looked ashamed, I had to give him credit. “No. I gave her up because I thought she would be happier with you. But it didn’t work. I like her too much.”

            I scoffed. “You like her too much? I hate you! I hate that you always win when it comes to this. I hate that she can’t see pass your lies and know how much of a sneaky bastard you are inside.”

            “You can’t take up one charge against me for the rest of my life! Yes, I cheated on Hyoyeon once, but this one time was deliberate. This one time was meant to make her happier!”

            My hands curled into fists. “Making her cry is to make her happier? You jerk.”

            He dropped into a crouch as we started circling one another. “It was the road to happiness.”

            “Stop you two!  What is going on?” I straightened and tried to relax myself when Leeteuk came up.

            “Nothing. Just practicing lines for my drama,” I lied and walked away.