Chapter 16 - Fight

Broken Triangle

 

J POV

            The best thing I could have done was to walk away. But when Sungmin approached me, I fell again. He was still my best friend and I still wanted his companionship. He looked troubled and I knew why but rather than avoid him I decided to stay and we talked.

            “Jasmine, does your heart belong to me? I really need to know.” He was blunt and got to the point rather quickly.

            I looked down, unsure of whether to lie or not. I had thought it over and I realized that I did have some feelings for him, regardless of the platonic relationship I had wanted to keep. Realistically, no girl could possibly turn down someone who has been by her side for so long.

            Sungmin wasn’t bad looking and he wasn’t a bad person either. It made sense that in the time we spent together, I had developed some sort of feelings for him. But I knew that deep down, the one that had my heart beating, the one that made me nervous to see him was Eunhyuk.

            “You know the saying, men and women cannot be friends?” I asked him and he nodded.

            “Don’t tell me that it’s false and that we can.”

            “I’m not. I meant to tell you that it’s true.” But seeing his face start to look hopeful, I rashly added, “But at the same time, I see you as an oppa. As a best friend. Yes, our bond is stronger than most and I do like you but in my heart I will always say that Eunhyuk was the secret guy that I liked. Do you understand?”

            But Sungmin seemed to be past my words. His eyes glazed over and he smiled simply. “So you’re saying that we have a chance.” I started to say no, to discourage him. I already regretted telling him so much. I shouldn’t do this to him.

            He leaned forward and held my hand. I wanted to grasp it away but he held it tightly. “No, look at me Jasmine and tell me. What would you do to me if I kissed you?”

            I stammered. “I don’t know.”

            “Let’s try it out.” And before I could react, he was kissing me. His lips were on mine and I didn’t know whether to respond or to push him away. But his arms locked me in and I didn’t move. It wasn’t until the echoes in the theater indicated someone had come in that he let me go.

            “So last week was me, and this week it’s you.”

            My breath caught. It was Eunhyuk. He sauntered  in and gave Sungmin a challenging stare. “You sure work fast, my friend.”

            Sungmin pushed me behind him and jumped off the stage. “Don’t you dare. You let her go first. Technically I have every right to do whatever I want to her. You don’t have a say.”

            He scoffed. “Wasn’t last week indication enough that you will never win her heart?” He

raised an eyebrow and Sungmin crouched low, as if readying for an attack.

            “Come at me. I dare you. Go on. Let’s fight it out, man on man. I’ve been waiting for this for so long.” Sungmin challenged.

            Eunhyuk leapt forward and aimed a punch at the side of Sungmin’s head. Sungmin had the advantage and ducked in time before lashing out with a kick. Eunhyuk moved deftly out of the way but not before Sungmin’s fists came swinging.

            I screamed, knowing that if anyone else came in, we would all be doomed. Eunhyuk tackled Sungmin and punched his nose. Fresh blood poured and I looked away. Sungmin roared and I saw Eunhyuk’s lips bleed.

            “Stop guys, please. It’s no point finding over this. Please, I’m sorry.” Tears blurred my vision but they didn’t stop. It was an animal instinct. They had encroached on one another’s territory and now was the best time to attack. You could smell it in the air. They’ve been waiting for this fight for a long time.

            “What are you two doing?” The doors to the theater swung open and Leeteuk stormed in, looking furious. Donghae followed with Kangin. The leader’s eyes flickered towards me and I saw his mouth set in a grim line. Kangin locked his arms around Sungmin and pulled him away from Donghae.

            “Look at you two! Shameless. Fighting in such a public arena. Are you not aware that they’re letting in the fans in twenty minutes? Had we not came in, you two would have been caught. Is this how you want to tarnish our reputation? Does Super Junior mean so little to you that you think it’s okay to fight one another? Especially over a girl?” The last part, he said with a disgust that caused me to shudder.

            When the members pulled the two out, nobody met my eyes. Kyuhyun had walked in at the end and before leaving, he was the only one to stop.

            “You need to really make up your mind. Today is the last straw for them. By tomorrow, it’ll be war and the entire group would have to choose between members. Think carefully about the consequences.” His voice was taut and his tone angry and I trembled, knowing that I was bringing about their undoing.