Chapter 5 - Taking the Plunge

Broken Triangle

 

J POV

            The days began to get busier. Exams were coming up for me and so was Super Show 3. My days were spent studying and with Sungmin-oppa. It’s really sweet the amount of attention he focuses on me. I appreciated having him as a friend. It gave me someone to talk to.

            “Hey, Jasmine. So we’re going to have Super Show 3 in Seoul, will you be able to come?” Sungmin asked me one day. We were walking home from ice cream.

            I nodded. “Neh, it’s right after exams and is right here so it will be fine. I will be there, supporting you. Super Junior oppas hwaiting!” He grinned, easily sliding his hand into mine. That caused me to grow a bit uneasy. I knew we were only friends, but this was too public a display of affection. I tried to walk further away to try and accidently disengage our fingers.

            But he had such a strong grip. I held onto it tightly, thinking that maybe I can hold on to this person. That maybe he can be the one to make me happy. Ya, I shook my head. Time to stop with such thoughts. It wasn’t going to turn out well. Think friendship, I scolded myself.

            He walked me to my door and this time, rather than swiftly hugging me and watching me go in, he hesitated. This slight moment of time caused my heart to pound erratically. What was wrong with me? I shook my head slightly, trying to dispel any notions.

            He leaned in slowly and wrapped his arms around me nice and slow. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Don’t work too hard mkay?” Then he pulled away and was laughing again. I smiled slowly, thankful that we were back to just friends again.

S POV

            I shivered in excitement. It was finally time for Super Show 3 to commence. After every comeback, it was what we looked forward to the most. We wanted to travel to places, to be able to spread our music, to feel the love. Most importantly, we wanted to show ELFs that we love them and appreciated the constant support they offered us.

            Our first stop was always in Seoul. And for my own personal purposes, that was a good thing. For weeks, I’ve been debating within myself. Should I or should I now? I finally decided that it was time for me to officially ask Jasmine out. I like her, a lot. When I was walking her home, I couldn’t help but be a little detached, a little cold. I had to keep my distance, unless I burst out laughing. I swear, this entire thing was making me giddy.

            I got home and checked underneath my bed for the stash I had hastily thrown down there. “Hyung, what are you looking for?” Ryeowook asked me, smiling.

            In his hands was the pink bag that held all my plans for tomorrow. “Hey, give that back!” I tried to lunge at him but he snatched it away. Since when was he so playful?

            “Aww, hyung, you need my help tomorrow? I mean, it’s going to be right after Super Show, and you’re going to be all sweaty and tired. What is she leaves? You can’t propose to a girl all sweaty. That would be disgusting! So, what do you think? I should help stall right?” he looked so eager, happy to help me.

            I smiled. “Sure, if you can just keep her busy a while. Thank you.”

            The next day, we entered into the sports stadium and I took a deep breath. I liked our new look. It was a manlier theme and was bound to enrapture hearts. I glanced at my reflection briefly and smiled. My hair gelled looked pretty cool.

            We performed our hits and I felt the sweat running down my face. I casually glanced to the side and saw some of the lighting crew standing in the shadows, carefully watching. I didn’t see her though. The anticipation fueled my adrenaline and I was able to perform better, to put on a better show. My dancing had an edge to it, and I poured my voice into every song.

            When it was solo time, I walked offstage, and had to pace around to keep from bursting. “Whoa, Sungmin. Your energy out there was incredible. My gosh. What did you do? These past few performances, you’ve really been rocking it out!” a stylist noona complimented.

            Shindogn heard and smirked. “It’s all for impressing people.” I blushed but shrugged. The only reaction I could give was a huge smile.

            The only disappointing part about this concert was that she was on deck all the time. They needed her to work the lights the entire concert. So I wasn’t able to see her. But I could feel her force, her ability that was the driving force behind this concert. When it was my turn for a solo, I had requested for the lights to be dimmed, so she didn’t have to do much. Hopefully, she would be able to come out now.

            I knew that this solo would present a new side to me. But I sort of wondered if it would be the right side of me to show. I shook my head. Enough worrying! It’s time for you to get out there and do your best. When the music started, I started doing the dance that Donghae and I had practiced. Originally it had been Eunhyuk’s idea, but we… had a disagreement. It incorporated a lot of pelvic ing and when the music reached the , I easily tore off my shirt. The fans screamed and started clapping. Haha, no longer just the aegyo prince am I?

            The backup dancers started to push me away, and I put in my feelings, telling them not to leave me. This song was ironic for me. I would never cheat, never hurt the one I love. Not like another member I know. Rage clouded my thoughts when I thought about how evil he had been. She loved him too.

            Focus! Sungmin, focus on your performance! When the music ended, I could feel the heaviness of the exertion. When the platform pulled me down into the depths of the stage, I looked around to see where Jasmine was. She stood out from her booth and gave me a hurried thumbs up. I glowed, maybe she had seen it.

            This sign of encouragement kept me on an immense high for the rest of the concert. I performed well and at the end of it, I knew I had made ELFs proud. I walked off the stage after all the encores and goodbyes were made. I ran to the dressing room to change and to quickly shower. I slapped on deodorant and cologne before grabbing the bag. I took out the flowers and set the tiny room up. Ryeowook winked at me before disappearing to distract her.

            I walked out, slipping the tiny box into my pockets. But when I walked along the corridors, I saw Ryeowook waving frantically at me, trying to tell me something. But the adrenaline was too much. I waved back and walked faster.

            When I turned the corner, I saw Jasmine all right. What I didn’t expect to see was the person standing next to her.