Chapter 13 - Break

Broken Triangle

 

E POV

            Jasmine was quiet the entire way to the airport. She normally would joke with the other members but this time, there was nothing. Right before the plane took off, she slipped a note into my hand and kissed me goodbye. I went on the plane and slid into the window seat before going to read it.

            It was a letter and it was blotched with tear stains. My heart thumped, knowing exactly what it was.

Eunhyukkie,

            I’m sorry I’ve been so quiet and distant lately. It’s just, I’ve been having a problem and I didn’t want to bother you about it. But I figured you were my boyfriend so who else to ask for advice.

            I think it’s obvious that Sungmin-oppa has or had feelings for me. We were great friends and I never thought of him that way. The other day, he told me that he no longer wanted to have any contact with me. That scared me and bothered me for the longest time. I hated that I lost a friend.

            And it’s made me think. Why would he do that and is it worth losing a friend over our relationship? I know what you may think. I’m not willing to choose you over him. And I don’t want this to be about choosing. I want you both.

            Maybe I’m selfish, but I want to be okay with both of you. Forgive me oppa. I’m confused.

                                                                                                            Jasmine

            I crumpled the paper and stuffed it in my bag. Was she serious? She was upset because Sungmin broke ties with her. I glared at the man sitting in front of me. It was always his fault. He had no hand in this and yet he was still breaking my relationship up. I gritted my teeth and tried to not let this bother me.

            But it did. All throughout the performances, I couldn’t help but feel a prickle of annoyance at him, and at her. Why did she feel the need to do this to me right before a concert? And for Sungmin of all people?

            Sooyoung came up to me and bopped my head with a balloon. She winked at me, clearly remembering the little time we had before. I smiled at her, wanting to establish a clear sense of separation. I didn’t need her getting any ideas and making my life complicated.

            When the concert was over, she came up to me and whispered, “My room tonight?” I shook my head and walked away but Sungmin saw and narrowed his eyes.

            That night, my phone rang and I groggily picked it up. Jasmine was crying.

            “I’m so sorry. I just had this dream that Sungmin told me he hated me. And then you came and he started hitting you, saying that it was all my fault you two were no longer friends. You told him you hated him and he started to yell at me. I can’t. Eunhyuk, I can’t. Why am I so affected? I feel so guilty.” She sobbed and sobbed and I knew right then and there that Sungmin has made an impact on her.

            She wouldn’t want to admit it but she liked him. I knew it. I sensed it. And now I know that I can’t keep hurting her. I was no longer annoyed at her. I only felt bad. I wanted to see her happy. I grabbed my phone and texted Sooyoung.

            How about you and me have a little alone time tomorrow? ;)

            Her response came immediately. Of course. Anytime.

            I swallowed. My plan was in motion. I apologized quickly to Jasmine and knew that this was only doing her good. I can see right through her. She did have feelings for Sungmin. She just doesn’t want to admit that she does.

            The next day, I made sure that Sungmin was in plain view when I walked up to Sooyoung and kissed her. Immediately, everyone started talking. I avoided Donghae’s gaze when he raised his eyebrow. Instead, I stared at Sungmin.

            Tell her, I thought. I dare you.

            Jasmine found out the hard way. She heard from the gossip in the backstage. She confronted me with tears running down her cheeks.

            “What’s the meaning of this?”

            I looked at her coldly. “I don’t want to be between you and Sungmin-oppa anymore. Go and be happy with him.” I nudged her out of the way and walked away, feeling hot tears rise in me.