Suzy's Hidden Talent

Detective L and the Secret Behind the Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

L tapped the play button for the sixth time now.

"Key.. Run."

"..ee.." (2)

L tried to make out the sounds in the background, but the only thing heard was someone getting beat up. And L didn't have to be a genius to know who the victim was. Closing his eyes to heighten his hearing, he replayed the tape again.

"Key.. Run."

"..ee.." (2)

L opened his eyes and again looked at the map on his computer, desperately searching for any area with the number 2.

'The restaurant is 23 minutes away from our company. Kim Bum Sunbae said that he would be there in a few minutes. So he should be around this area,' he thought, looking at a specific area in the map.

'But there's nothing with a 2 in that area. Detective Number 3 said that he called Kim Bum Sunbae again after 30 minutes. If he was running, the area he could be in spreads out to here. if by bike, this far. And this far by car,' he pointed at the screen.

'Walking and biking isn't even an option since it would attract too much attention, even at nighttime. Based on the fatigue in Sunbae's voice, I could assume the time frame that he was getting beat up was pretty long. But how could he pick up the phone? Did he just use the last of his energy to take his phone out? Or did the phone fall out of his pocket and he hit the answer button when he noticed Key calling?' L asked himself, tapping his fingers against the table.

'The voice was definitely Sunbae's, so I can assume another person didn't take the phone out of his pocket; he did it himself. The phone lost signal before it broke and now we can't even track him down since the signal faded. So if I just look through places with weak signals, that narrows me down to a few places. But none of them have anything with a 2. So what was Sunbae trying to tell me? Is it just something that starts with ee?'

 

Suzy walked into L's office, watching him struggle with the phone conversation again. He was so concentrated on solving the case, he didn't even notice her walking in.

"..ee…"

"Ship?" Suzy said, making L look up.

"What did you say?" he questioned, eyes widening in surprise.

"Ee-ship (20)," Suzy repeated. She walked up to L, turning up the volume of the tape and pressing play again.

"Key.. Run."

"eesh..."

L looked up to Suzy in shock when he heard the small 'sh' sound. He quickly turned back to his laptop and looked through the map again.

 

'Of course! There's nothing with a 2, but there are some options with the number 20. I'll assume he was blindfolded, so he didn't know his exact location. But Sunbae knows every street in Seoul. So did he mean 20 minutes from the company? But wait, there's no way of knowing how fast the car was going. So he must have meant 20 kilometers. And if so, there's only one possible option.'

L took his phone out and quickly called Team 4.

 

 

Detective Number 1 was in his car, along with L and Detectives 2 and 3. When they arrived at their destination, they all bolted out of the car, straight towards the storage building. But when they reached it, the first thing they noticed was that it was locked.

"Everyone, step back," Detective Number 2 commanded.

Once the others were at a reasonable distance, Detective Number 2 took a deep breath. With a heavy kick on the lock, it broke and fell to the ground. He pushed the door open and everyone scurried in. They all took the flashlights hidden in their bags and turned them on. Carefully scrutinizing every millimeter of the building, they looked for any form of a clue. Key was the first to notice anything suspicious. Shining his light into a corner, he looked down to see Kim Bum's broken phone on the floor.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter