4

Detective L and the Secret Behind the Diary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

L opened the door of his apartment, being greeted by an overenthusiastic Suzy.

“Welcome home, master," Suzy exclaimed watching L kick his shoes off. Rushing over, she quickly straightened them out, giving an accomplished grin to the young man.

“Don't call me master," L scolded, walking towards the kitchen.

“Yes, boss," Suzy answered, giggling slightly. She followed L to the kitchen, noticeably brightening when she saw L's surprised face. Food was already made and set up, making L's stomach rumble with anticipation.

“Did you make this?” L asked pointing to the food. Suzy nodded energetically, skipping to the table to pull a chair out for L.

“How?” L asked, suspicion laced within his voice, slowly taking the offered seat.

“I don't know. I just saw some food in the refrigerator and before I knew it, I had all of this cooked,” Suzy answered.

L sighed, accepting the glass of water that Suzy graciously poured out for him. Gulping it down, he felt a few drops escape his mouth. After wiping it off with the back of his hand, he focused his attention back to the food in front of him.

“What happened today?" Suzy interrupted, looking L up and down. "Why are you wearing a suit today?”

Looking at the innocent girl in front of him, he reluctantly breathed out, "Somebody left."

“Left? Where'd they go?" Suzy naively questioned.

L stopped eating and put his utensils down. Knowing the curiosity was killing the girl, he replied, "To a far away place."

L didn't let his true feelings show. He didn't want to start crying so he pulled out a chair for Suzy to sit in. “Stop talking and just eat.”

Suzy looked down at her bowl and gave a quick glance to L.

Smiling, she answered, "Okay, boss."

 

 

L was about to clear up the dishes, but Suzy didn't give him a chance.

“I'll do it, boss,” she insisted, taking the bowl from L's hand.

“Whatever,” L muttered, taking his bag and walking to the living room.

Taking the diary out of his bag, he stared at it blankly.

'He already killed my mom for no reason. Why would he kill my dad too? Is it for revenge? But if he wants revenge, why would he kill my dad and not me?'

Suddenly, the doorbell chimed, breaking L away from his thoughts. Walking towards the door, he cautiously asked, "Who's there?"

“Delivery for Mr. L,” a boy responded from the other side.

L opened the door and was immediately handed a small package.

“Sign here, please," the boy requested, holding out a clipboard.

Once L signed, he shut the door, not bothering to thank the young man. Walking to the living room couch, he sat down and tore the package open. There was nothing but a single card in it.

“Game start?” L whispered to himself. And right at that moment, his phone went off. Getting a call from an unknown number, L hesitated slightly before answering.

“Hello?”

“L-shi. Do you remember me?” a deep voice asked.

“Who are you?” L asked, feeling chills run down his spine from the ice cold voice.

“You don't remember me? That's upsetting,” the man responded, faking a hurt voice.

“Is this.. Thunder?”

“Ding ding ding, you're a winner! Your prize is on the back of that card you're holding. I do hope you'll have fun during this little activity I've set up for you. Game start," he finished, ending the call.

"Hello? Hello!" L basically yelled to himself. Throwing his phone on the floor out of frustration, he looked at the card in his hands. Turning it around, his irritation hit it's peak as it was completely blank.

"There's nothing on it," L murmured to himself, balling his hands into fists.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter