Are You Sick?

Days of Infinite

 

I finally made it back to my mother's hospital room and heard them laughing inside. I was glad to know they were getting along just fine. Even though I was a little troubled by what Woohyun had said, or rather the tone in which he spoke, I plastered a smile on my face and walked in with the three waters.

Mom, Sunggyu, I'm back!” I said cheerfully. My mother smiled at me and held an expression of...was that pride? But why would she look at me like that all of the sudden? Her following words would prove to answer my question.

Minyoung-ah, why didn't you tell me it was you that sang for me that day?” she asked. I stopped in the doorway, dropping the waters and staring at her in shock. “Sunggyu told me. Well, I kind of forced it out of him. But if I had known that you had a voice like that, I wouldn't have been opposed to your dream. And I can see that you are very passionate about it, so...I approve and encourage you to continue living your dream.”

I felt the tears sting in my eyes as my body trembled. How often had I wished to hear those words? How many times had I shied from singing for my own mother because of my major lack of confidence? How often had I wished...to gain support from my mother for the dream I had pursued so passionately? She held her arms out to me and I ran into her embrace, crying softly. If only I had more courage in the past, I could have saved myself so much stress. I couldn't even be mad at Sunggyu for telling her, not after it ended like this. I smiled over at him and motioned for him to join in the hug. He smiled shyly and shook his head. I insisted, giving him a light pout, and he finally caved, coming over to join us in our hug. My mother and I accepted him warmly into our embrace.

We stayed and talked about the smallest of things, each enjoying the others' company for a bit before my mother told us that it was getting late. I glanced down at my phone and noticed that it was already after eight in the evening. I hadn't realized just how long we had been there. With one last hug, and my mom planting a kiss on my cheek as moms love to do when their children have friends around, we left the hospital. He rode with me to my apartment complex and we said our goodbyes for the night. I watched as the taxi took him away until I could no longer see it, and then went through the front doors of the lobby. With a new sense of relief, and the feeling of weight being lifted off my shoulders, I rode the elevator up to my floor. I knew I still had a long way to go, but just knowing that I had my mother's support was enough for that moment.

The elevator doors opened on my floor and I stepped out. And I froze. A familiar brunette was sitting beside my door, his eyes closed as his head leaned against the wall. His breathing was light, indicating that he was asleep, so I walked over quietly and crouched down beside him. My heart hammered in my chest for numerous reasons, one of which being that I had a feeling of why he was there and I wasn't sure if I was ready for it. Carefully, I placed my hand on his shoulder and shook him a little.

Woohyun,” I murmured softly, but it was enough for him to open his eyes groggily and find mine. A sleepy smile crossed his face.

You're finally back,” he said, stretching out like a graceful cat. I'm sure sleeping in that position had made him a little stiff.

It's only been two hours since you called me. What are you doing here, anyway?” I asked softly. I was honestly afraid of the answer. But at the same time... I wasn't.

Let's talk inside,” he said, standing up and holding out a hand for me. I took it and pulled myself up with his help. Dropping my gaze from his, I unlocked my door and went in with him close behind. He took off his shoes and walked over to sit on the couch. I slipped my shoes and socks off and sat down on the arm of the chair next to the couch so that I was facing him. I looked into his eyes, and I wanted to tell him. I really wanted to tell him. But I was scared. I wasn't sure why, but I was absolutely terrified. He didn't say anything, instead giving me his full attention. His eyes weren't cold, they weren't judgmental. And so... I took a deep breath.

Yes, I was with Sunggyu. But I promise, there is nothing between us. The reason we were...together was because...” I started, taking another deep, shaky breath and lowering my gaze. “Because my mother is in the hospital again. He wanted to come with me, because I had asked him to visit before.” With that, I began to spill everything. Everything about my mother, the scar, my father, what Sunggyu did the first time, and what Sunggyu did that time. He listened without interruption. His expression never changed from the calm curiosity it held in the beginning, except to show understanding near the end.

When I finished telling him absolutely everything...we sat in silence for a moment or two, my eyes glued to the rug in front of me. I wasn't sure if it was because I had stopped breathing, or because of the design in the rug, but I felt dizzy. I wanted him to say something, anything. He finally stood up, and for a second, I thought he was going to walk out. Instead, he stepped closer to me and pulled me forward into a hug. Surprise caused me to place my hands on either side of his waist, because my body thought it was going to fall.

Why didn't you tell me sooner...? I thought there was something terribly wrong with you when you passed out, and the fact that Sunggyu kept avoiding the reason didn't help that feeling much. Do you know what kind of thoughts passed through my mind?” he murmured softly into my hair. I brought my hands up to rest on his shoulder blades, gripping the fabric of his shirt lightly as I pulled myself closer to him.

I'm sorry... I just... I didn't...,” I muttered, finding myself unable to finish any of my thoughts. It was like my mind froze. I knew what message I wanted to send, but my brain couldn't figure out the words to use.

You'll trust me next time, right?” he asked almost inaudibly. I nodded slowly into his chest. I pulled away from him and smiled softly.

Have you eaten yet?” I asked. He was about to reply when his stomach growled. We both stared at each other for a bit before laughing. “I guess that answers that. How would you like for me to cook for you?” He smiled and rubbed the back of his head.

I would like that,” he said.

I blushed lightly and headed into the kitchen, pulling out various ingredients. I was very specific about what I made for him, because not only did I want it to be good, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't too oily. Woohyun sat on one of the stools and watched with interest as I cooked. He almost looked like he wanted to say something, but he never did. It wasn't until I had finished cooking, setting out everything prettily on a plate and setting it in front of him before making a plate for myself, that he finally said what was on his mind.

Next time, I want to cook for you,” he said, smiling at me as I sat down on the stool next to him. I blushed and smiled back at him.

I would like that a lot,” I said softly. He looked down at the plate I had prepared for him.

Have you considered becoming a chef? The way you decorated the plate is really amazing,” he said. I looked away, biting my lip slightly.

I took culinary classes in high school. I hope it tastes okay,” I said, picking up a bit of meat with my chopsticks. He did the same, putting the meat in his mouth and chewing thoughtfully. His face lit up in surprise and delight, and I couldn't help but smile.

It's really good,” he said, still looking surprised.

Thank you,” I said softly, blushing again at the praise. We ate in silence for a while. He keep looking at the food as if trying to figure something out.

Normally, this kind of food is really oily, if you get it from a restaurant or something, but the way you made it, it's not very oily. It kind of brings out the flavor better,” he said. I blinked and looked down shyly.

W-well, um... I-I read somewhere that your liver isn't good, so when you eat oily foods, your stomach suffers,” I said almost inaudibly. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye and noticed him giving me a look. I couldn't explain what kind of expression that was. Dumbfounded? Something else? In a way, it almost seemed...shy. But that couldn't be. Woohyun was never shy. Usually, I'm the one out of the two of us that gets shy or embarrassed. “I-I didn't deliberately search for the information, a bunch of fans told me a bunch of things when I simply asked about your age!” I said in my defense, feeling my cheeks pink. He looked down with a light smile.

Why did you want to know my age?” he asked softly. I shrugged.

I have this strange obsession with time, age, and numbers,” I said, laughing weakly.

Numbers? So you like math?” he asked, glancing over at me with amusement in his eyes.

That's the ironic thing. I hate math. But I always pay attention to things like age, height, the time, date, distance, speed, and anything else with numbers. Just not math related things,” I said, knowing it was a little ridiculous. “What's even more ironic is that my gaming and athletic logic are both semi-mathematical. Like, in table hockey, I measure angles mentally to get the best shot, and in basketball, I judge the distance and figure the angle from there to make a basket. I know, it's weird, but my brain is weird in general anyway.” He chuckled again, placing his chopsticks down on his empty plate.

Your mind is indeed unique,” he said, shooting an amused smile in my direction.

Did you want more to eat?” I asked, hoping to change the subject. Trying to explain myself was like trying to explain how quantum physics works. He looked down at his plate and shook his head.

Nah, I'm good. Thank you, though. It was really delicious,” he said. My cheeks burned again as I shyly looked anywhere but at him.

R-really? Th-thanks,” I stammered. He lightly tapped my shoulder with the back of his hand.

We should watch a movie,” he said, smiling excitedly. I looked up at him, puffing out my cheeks slightly.

What do you want to see?” I asked, trying to remember where the nearest movie theater was. He glanced at my living room before turning his attention back to me.

What do you have?” he asked. My eyes widened.

You want to watch a movie here?” I asked, mildly surprised. He nodded and smiled, sliding off the stool and taking me by the hand. I allowed myself to be lead over to my living room as he sat me down on the couch and went over to my TV cabinets to inspect my movie collection. He pulled out a movie and smiled at me, popping it in and turning on the TV before coming to sit next to me on the couch. He flipped the remote in his hand as he sat back, putting his arm around my shoulders. My cheeks flushed as I looked up at him, my heartbeat quickening at the proximity. Although, the way he was sitting, if I held still, I could feel his heartbeat, and it was beating fast as well.

A-are you sick, Woohyun?” I asked, reaching up and feeling his forehead. He raised an eyebrow at me with an amused smirk.

No, why?” he asked. I put my hand back in my lap and faced the TV, my bottom lip stuck out slightly.

N-never mind,” I murmured. He didn't feel like he was running a fever, and he was acting the same as ever, so he must be fine. But then why would his heartbeat be so fast? Was that normal for him?

I sighed as the movie started. To be honest, though, I didn't pay much attention to what movie he had put in. I was sort of sleepy due to the hour and how full I was. I drew my feet up into the cushion and snuggled against his chest as the movie played, trying to pay attention but failing miserably. I'm not sure how much time passed, but I eventually fell asleep. 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What's this? I updated both of my fics on the same day? What sort of socery is this? Anyway, I hope you liked it. Comments are very much welcome, as they make me feel like I've done something right!! :D