Do You Hear an Echo?

Days of Infinite

 

As promised, I called him while I was in the taxi going home. I had no idea why he wanted me to call him. I guess he was bored? That's what I do when I get bored. I call people and bother them.

Hey, I'm on my way home,” I said as soon as he answered.

How long will it take you to get there?” he asked. I shrugged, but then realized that you can't see a shrug over the phone.

About five minutes. Why?” I asked, hoping to get an answer out of him this time, since he hung up before I could ask last time.

No reason. I'm just bored,” he said. Ah, so I was right. We kept up small talk for most of the duration of the taxi ride, only lapsing into awkward silences once in a while. I've never been very good at conversation over the phone. I always just let the other person talk. I know, I call people and then expect them to be the ones to talk? Yeah. But I usually call Eun Ae and she's always got something to say. I don't think has an off button, and the pause button got sent in for repairs a few years ago and never came back.

Hold on, I'm outside my apartment. I'm going to put the phone down and grab my bags, so don't say anything important, okay?” After a quick confirmation from him, I set the phone on the seat and slipped one of the three bags over my arm and picked the phone back up with that hand, carrying the other two in my other hand. I had paid the driver (with tip) in advance because I knew by now how much it cost to go from the grocery to my house. “Alright, you may speak, sir,” I said, trying to be funny. Apparently it worked because Woohyun laughed on the other side.

How do you plan on hitting the button for your elevator if you have both hands full with your phone and groceries?” he asked.

I'll kick the button,” I said with a shrug. “I've done it before, except at the time it was because I was carrying a big box with both hands. That was when I first moved in. Oh how the time flies.” I was bored, so I was going to say stupid things. I don't know if I should be happy about it or not, but Woohyun laughed at me again. I got to the button and looked around to make sure no one was watching, and kicked the button. I was wearing a dress, after all, and didn't want to accidentally flash someone when I did that, so yeah, I had to make sure no one was around.

Wait did you really just kick it? I could hear that from here!” he said, trying to stifle his laughter. I grinned with pride and went in the doors just as they opened. I smacked the button for the eighth floor with my elbow and the doors closed.

What? Did you think I was kidding?” I asked innocently.

I should know better by now, huh?” he asked. I could hear the smile in his voice. I smiled at how easily amused he is.

One last obstacle. My door,” I said as the elevator dinged.

Good luck,” he said just as the doors opened. I walked over to my door and held the phone to my ear with my shoulder, fishing for my keys in the small pocket of the white jacket.

Argh, my keys are stuck on my pocket...Do you hear an echo?” I asked, hearing my complaint echo.

Would you like some help?” he asked, but it wasn't just over the phone. I could also hear him right behind me. I turned quickly, causing my phone to fall, and sure enough, I was face to face with Woohyun. He smiled at me and picked up my phone, hanging up from his and handing mine back to me. He took the two bags from my other hand before I finally found my voice.

Wh-what are you doing here?” I asked. He shrugged.

I figured I'd surprise you by coming over,” he said, looking me over. “You're wearing a dress. It looks nice on you.” I blushed and looked away.

H-how did you get my address?” I asked, but just as the question left my lips, I knew the answer.

Sunggyu,” we said together. He laughed and nodded. I made a face and turned back around to open my door, my keys finally coming unstuck from my pocket.

I'm glad I cleaned my apartment yesterday,” I muttered as I pushed the door open and walked in, taking my shoes off at the front. I also took my socks off, because I usually do, and left them in my shoes. Woohyun followed me in and took his shoes off as well. “Just set the bags on the counter,” I said, indicating the kitchen counter. He set the two bags he had taken on the counter and looked around.

My apartment was pretty big for one person. I think my favorite part is the kitchen though. My kitchen is in a weird shape. You know how kids draw diamonds for like a ring and stuff? That's what kind of shape my kitchen is in. The wall on the sink side is the only part that has upper cabinetry, and the upper cabinets jut up a little over the sink so I don't bump my head or something while doing dishes. Not that I would personally, but some people might. I don't have a dishwasher, but it's okay because I live alone. The rest of the counter tops are open on the top to look out into the living room and the windows on the far side. I was on a corner apartment, so I got two windows instead of one and a balcony. My whole apartment is modern and, well, me.

Nice place,” he said. He pointed at the wall I had painted bright blue. It was the wall that ran from the kitchen into the living room, and a close second for my favorite part of the apartment. “I like your color choice.”

Thanks. That took me a whole day to paint it. I'm telling you, that wall is bigger than it looks,” I said, going into the kitchen to put stuff away. “I just have a few things to put away.”

Do you want me to help?” he asked.

I've got it, but thank you,” I said. “If you want, you can go ahead and take a seat.” He nodded and sat at one of the lime green stools at the little bar-type thing. It didn't take me long to get the groceries put away, but I decided to put away the dishes I had washed the night before.

So you live here alone?” Woohyun asked.

Yeah. I've been living on my own since I got out of high school,” I said, putting a plate in one of the upper cabinets.

Don't you ever get lonely?” he continued. I shrugged.

Not recently. But during the school year, when all my friends from high school were busy with college, I was working to pay for this place. I didn't really see much of my friends, so I guess that was when I was a little lonely,” I said, taking the silverware and chopsticks out of the strainer and putting them away in the drawer I kept them in.

That ,” he said softly. I smiled at him before grabbing a few glasses, holding them to my body with one hand and opening another upper cabinet with the other.

I chose to live like that, so I have no one to blame but myself. It wasn't really that bad, though. I was working too much to be lonely for long,” I said, standing on my tip-toes and putting the glasses on the second shelf up.

What about when the school year ended?” he asked.

Well, I haven't really kept up with my friends except when they dragged me to the club, so last month was lonely I guess, but recently...I've had you guys,” I said, pushing the last glass up and turning around to smile at him. That was when the glass I had just tried to put up fell. I guess I didn't push it all the way onto the shelf, but I couldn't be sure. Anyway, the glass fell, hitting the counter first, making me turn to face it in confusion before it hit the floor and shattered. A shard shot up and hit the front of my ankle causing me to step back in surprise, which in turn made me step on some smaller shards that had scattered behind me. I yelped and fell back, mostly because I was off balance and had lifted my foot back up to get it off the glass. My left hand landed on another bigger shard, cutting into the side of the base knuckle of my index finger. I heard Woohyun stand up fast enough to knock over the stool he had been sitting on.

Minyoung!” he said with concern in his voice.

I'm okay. Um, if you're coming in, put your shoes on. I don't want you to get hurt as well,” I said, my voice a little shaky. He made a lot of noise as he rushed to put his shoes on before running over to me. He put an arm under my knees and the other around my waist. I threw my arms around his neck, careful not to touch him with my bleeding hand as he lifted me up. He set me down on the counter top with my bleeding foot hanging over the sink.

I'm sorry if this hurts,” he said, turning on the water and carefully washing the glass out of my heel with the spray nozzle.

I-it's fine,” I said. Next, he washed off the cut on my ankle (which was surprisingly deep) and my hand.

Where's your broom?” he asked, looking around.

I-I'll sweep it,” I said in protest.

You're heel is bleeding and you shouldn't get down with all the glass on the floor still. It's fine, I don't mind cleaning this up for you,” he said.

It's in the entry, the other side from where you put your shoes,” I said, looking down at the sink. He left to get it and came back, sweeping twice to make sure he got every bit of glass off the floor.

Alright, where is your first-aid stuff?” he asked. I didn't even try to protest this time and pointed at my bathroom. He ran to get it and came back. “Let me see your hand,” he said softly. I lifted my hand up and he looked at it carefully. He took the alcohol, some gauze pads, a few cotton balls, and a gauze wrap out of my little homemade first-aid kit. He put some alcohol on a cotton ball and held out his hand. I went to put my injured hand in his hand and he shook his head. “Your other hand. That way, if it hurts, you can squeeze my hand,” he said. I nodded and placed my good hand in his. He rested my injured hand on my knee and dabbed at it with the cotton ball. I hissed and tightened my grip on his hand, resisting the urge to jerk my injured hand away. He ran his thumb soothingly over the top of my hand, much the same way L had done when I fell at the amusement park, and I slightly relaxed my grip. He put the cotton ball down and carefully pulled his hand away from mine so that he could grab a gauze pad and the gauze wrap. He put the small pad on the cut and wrapped the gauze wrap around it to hold it there. He hopped up to sit on the edge of the sink and put my leg across his lap. He held out his hand again. I blushed and put my hand in his again. He dabbed at the cut on my ankle and I tensed for a second before willing myself to relax. I took a deep breath as he went to dab at my heel. He muttered an apology as I hissed again.

It's not your fault. I'm the one that didn't get the glass all the way on the shelf or something,” I said softly as he put a pad on my ankle and started wrapping, placing a pad on my heel as he went and wrapping there as well.

Even so, I feel like it's my fault. I'm sorry,” he said. I smacked him lightly in the back of the head.

Stop it. You have nothing to apologize for. If anything, I should be the one to apologize for troubling you to sweep it for me and take care of me,” I said, giving him a stern look. My face softened as I looked down. “After all, it's not the first time you've had to take care of me.” He lifted my chin up and smiled at me.

I don't mind taking care of you,” he said softly. “You didn't trouble me at all, so don't you think for another minute that you did.” I stared at him for a moment before leaning forward and giving him one of the most awkward hugs I've ever given, considering I had one leg in his lap still and one in the sink. If he hadn't hugged me back, I would have felt really stupid, though. I don't really even know why I did that. It just happened. What ever, why I did it doesn't matter. I leaned back and smiled at him. He smiled back and slid off the counter, lifting me off and carefully setting me on the floor. I kept my weight off my left leg, because that was the leg with the cut and the heel with the...ness, and held the counter to keep me stable.

Well that was quite an adventure,” I said with a laugh. My cuts hurt a little, but I didn't want to worry Woohyun even more than I already had, so I acted like they didn't hurt at all.

Speaking of adventures, Sungjongie wanted me to bring you over,” he said. “Do you feel up to it?” I smiled at him and nodded.

That sounds awesome,” I said, walking on my toes to get to my shoes. I didn't want to walk on my left heel yet because it still hurt. I sat down on the little step down from the apartment into the entry and put my socks and shoes on, loosening the left shoe a lot to get it over my heel without scraping against it. I stood back up and turned to smile at Woohyun, who tossed me my keys from off the counter. Surprisingly, I caught them as he smiled and came over to join me, opening my door and motioning for me to go through. I bowed my head a little and stepped out, locking the door once he followed me out and closed the door. I took a few steps, limping slightly, before Woohyun made me stop.

It hurts to walk, doesn't it?” he asked, looking at my wrapped ankle.

I-it's fine!” I said quickly, smiling to show that I was okay.

Don't be silly. If it hurts, I'll carry you,” he said. I looked away and shook my head. I couldn't let him carry me. What would the fan-girls think if they found out? They'd kill me for sure! I mean, I already made Sunggyu carry me, so I couldn't afford to push my luck.

I-I can walk,” I finally managed to say. He sighed and shook his head.

You're so stubborn,” he muttered. I murmured an an apology and started walking forward again, trying to stay on my toes as much as possible. I heard him sigh again before he started to follow. I reached out to press the button for the elevator, but he reached around me and beat me to it. The doors opened and we walked in. The silence was...infuriating.

I wish you'd let me help you,” he muttered so softly, I almost didn't hear him. I exhaled heavily and put an arm around his waist in an awkward side hug.

You've helped me enough. I mean, come on, you even swept my floor,” I said softly. He put an arm around my shoulders and squeezed lightly before I pulled away. “You've done enough, so don't worry anymore, okay?”

If you say so,” he murmured. I smiled at him.

I say so.”

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

So...many ideas....but I can't seem to put them together right now DX lol Also, I shall provide you all a picture of her apartment layout so you can kind of see it the way I see it.