Suspicions

Days of Infinite

 

I went to my apartment first to change clothes and pick up a book for my mom. My mom would have asked too many questions about the outfit Hwa Young had told me I could keep (“You look so adorable in it! Why don't you keep it~?” she had said), so I decided to change into something I wear on a normal basis. I put my dress and jacket from yesterday in the dirty clothes hamper and went over to my dresser to look for another outfit. I put on a pair of white shorts and a red t-shirt with a black design on it and dug out a green and a yellow sock, putting them on (maneuvering the green one carefully over the bandages on my left foot). I kept the jewelry from earlier, minus the white ribbon, and grabbed my wallet, shoving it into my back pocket as I picked up a book off of my dresser. My mom liked this series, and I was hoping she hadn't read this one yet. Since I had moved out, I had no way of keeping track of where she was in the series, but since this one was brand new, I figured she either hadn't started it, or she couldn't have gotten very far into it. With a shrug, I put on my white converse knock-offs and walked out of my apartment, locking it behind me and reading the back of the book on the way to the elevator. I punched the button for the elevator and let Sunggyu know I was on my way down. He replied saying he had just gotten out of the taxi in front of my apartment complex and was waiting for me. I smiled as the doors opened and I walked into the confined space. I'm not claustrophobic, but the idea of being in a small space does kind of make me uneasy. But it's not to the point where I start freaking out or anything. The doors opened on the bottom floor and I stepped out, smiling and waving at the boy waiting for me in the lobby. Sunggyu smiled and waved back, walking over to meet me.

Hey,” I said softly as we fell into step side by side while walking out the front door. He pointed at the book in my hand with a light grin.

Did she get bored up there?” he asked, his eyes sparkling with amusement. I laughed lightly and nodded before smiling back up at him.

Yeah, she asked me yesterday if I could bring a book next time I went to visit,” I confirmed as he flagged a cab for us to take to the hospital. When one finally stopped for us, Sunggyu opened the door closest to us and indicated for me to get in. I bowed slightly and got in with a shy smile. He closed the door after me and got in on the other side, giving the driver the address for the hospital. “Hey, Sunggyu...?”

Yeah?”

I've been wondering... What happened after I passed out on the sidewalk a couple of days ago?” I asked softly. He looked up at the roof of the cab, his head cocked slightly to the side as he thought about it.

Hmm... Woohyun was the first to call 119* but Sungjongie had to take over because he was stammering a lot. L and I were the first to make it to you and check for injuries from the fall. Once the ambulance got there, I told everyone to go back to the dorm and wait while I rode with you to make sure you were okay,” he said, nodding slightly as he spoke in that way he does when he's recalling something. “L and Woohyun wanted to come with, but Sungyeol and Sungjongie managed to convince them that too many people would crowd the ambulance and could potentially make things worse when you woke up in the event that you did get hurt.”

Ah, I see. I kept wondering how I got to the hospital,” I said softly. I smiled over at him quickly. “Thank you. Really, I appreciate that you guys care about me, even though you guys haven't known me for that long. I mean, it's only been a little over a week since I met you, and yet... It feels like I've known you forever.”

It does feel like it's been longer than it has, doesn't it?” he mused, a small smile working at the corners of his mouth. I giggled lightly and nodded.

Yeah,” I murmured.

The taxi pulled to a stop outside of the hospital and I took a deep breath. Somehow, my emotions were a mix of relief and anxiety. I couldn't say why, or even how, but my heart was hammering in my chest and all kinds of thoughts were swimming in my mind, both positive and negative. Sunggyu smiled at me reassuringly as he got out of the cab. I relaxed a little and got out as well, walking up to the doors with Sunggyu by my side. Somehow, he made me feel...safe. He seemed like a father, almost. Not that I would know, but I imagine that he acts like a father should. I smiled softly with his comforting presence as we stepped into the elevator to go up to the second floor, where my mother was. When the doors opened on the second door, I lead the way to the room she was in, knocking on the door frame a little to let her know I was there. She looked over at me and smiled.

Minyoung-ah,” she said warmly. I smiled brightly and quickly closed the space between us, embracing my mother in a tight hug.

Mom, I brought you a book,” I said, pulling back and holding out the book for her.

Ah, good. This is my third time reading this magazine,” she said, indicating the glossy pages in her lap. I giggled lightly as she took the book. “Oh, and you brought the one I wanted to read!”

I wasn't sure if you read it or not, but I figured that since it was brand new, you may not have had the chance to. Oh, mom, I brought someone to see you,” I said, finally remembering the boy that had accompanied me on my visit. Sunggyu came in and bowed respectfully at her, smiling warmly.

Hello, my name is Sunggyu,” he said, coming to stand next to me.

I'm sorry if my daughter bothered you with her requests,” my mother said, grinning over at me to show that she was joking. Sunggyu laughed and glanced over at me.

Your daughter is a ton of work to keep up with. And she called me a hamster!” he said, covering his laughter with the back of his hand. I pinched his cheeks from behind, throwing a pout at my mother over his shoulder.

But doesn't he remind you of a hamster?” I said in the cutest voice I could muster. My mother laughed at our exchange and nodded.

A little bit, yes,” she admitted, much to Sunggyu's dismay. Sunggyu grabbed my hands and turned to tickle me. I squeaked and tried to back away.

Well, you're still a mouse, little miss,” he said with a grin. Luckily, I was saved by my mother.

Minyoung-ah? Why don't you get everyone something to drink. I'm sure your friend here is thirsty,” she said, smiling in amusement at me. I nodded eagerly.

Yes, mother!” I said, skipping out of the room to find the hospital's cafeteria, where I knew there would be vending machines.

***No One's POV***

Minyoung's mother watched as her cheerful daughter skipped out of the room on her quest to acquire drinks for the three of them, a smile gracing her features. She admired how bright and sunny her daughter was, no matter the situation. She knew all too well that her daughter would hide her pain from everyone until she had no choice but to spill everything, but she still admired how carefully she could cover it all up with a genuine smile. Kim Cho Hee turned her attention back to the young man who had come with her daughter to visit her, who smiled warmly back at her.

Tell me... How did my daughter come to know you?” she asked softly. His smile faded, and for a moment, he looked panicked.

W-well... That is...,” he stammered.

Is she... Is she trying to become a singer?” Cho Hee asked, cutting off his stammering.

Wha-?”

I overheard the nurses yesterday talking about...a blond girl that had come in and sang for her mother. And I remember hearing a girl singing to me before you sang for me. Tell me, please, was it my daughter that sang to me that day? Is it my daughter that possesses the voice of an angel? Is that how she came to know you? Is she going for her dream of becoming a singer?” she asked, not giving time between questions for the boy to answer, her voice colored slightly with tears she refused to shed. She wasn't angry, wasn't sad, she was happy. If it really was her daughter that sang to her that day... That kind of a voice, it needed to be shared with the world. If it was her daughter that day, she would take back what she had said those years ago, she would tell her daughter to go for her dreams, that she can do it. Sunggyu looked into her eyes, seeing the hopeful gleam, the tears that wouldn't fall, and he decided...that she needed to know. He carefully composed his thoughts before telling her what he knew.

Your daughter came to audition for the company I'm signed under, the company Infinite is signed under. One of the members found a cover by her on YouTube and showed it to our manager. Our manager messaged her and asked her to audition because he could hear her potential. You daughter... She is an amazing singer, and an even more amazing person. Please, don't make her quit her dreams,” he said finally. She smiled at him when he finished.

I won't make her quit. I think...from now on, I'll encourage her,” she said softly. A mischievous smile made its way across her features. “What do you think of my daughter?” Sunggyu was taken aback by the abruptness of the question.

W-what do you mean?” he stammered.

Do you like my daughter?” she asked, the same mischievous look on her face. Sunggyu smiled at her and shook his head.

She's like family to me. But I do happen to suspect that one of the other members might like her. The same member, in fact, that discovered her cover on YouTube,” he said, chuckling softly. She raised an eyebrow at him.

Oh really now? And which member is that?” she asked, leaning forward with eagerness written all over her face. He laughed again and leaned back.

Now that is a secret,” he said. For a moment, the two of them were quiet again. “Ms. Kim, I do have something important to tell you, but you can't tell your daughter, okay?”

***Minyoung POV***

My phone rang in my pocket while I was in the cafeteria, poking coins into the machine. I put the phone to my ear just as I inserted the last few coins.

Hello?” I said into the phone.

Minnie? Are you at home?” Woohyun asked on the other side. I froze.

No, I'm out,” I said, pushing the button for a water. Two down, one left. I started inserting coins again.

Where are you?” he asked.

W-why?” I countered, pressing for the water again. I couldn't tell him where I was.

Because Sunggyu went out not too long ago,” he said. There was something in his voice, but I couldn't name it.

And...?” I prompted.

Are you out with Sunggyu?” he asked. There it was again, that something that I couldn't place.

W-what?”

Just answer me. Are you out with Sunggyu? Is there something going on between the two of you?” he asked, his words like ice. I stood there for a moment, not moving.

Why would you think there is anything between me and Sunggyu?” I asked.

Because I know he knows something that I don't know, and he won't tell me what it is,” he said, sounding a little...angry.

W-what do you mean? How do you know if he knows something you don't?” I asked, starting to feel a little bit panicked.

When he talks about you sometimes, he stops himself and rewords what he was going to say. As if he knows something that he doesn't want to tell me,” he said. It dawned on me what it was earlier that had colored his voice. Jealousy. Suspicion. It hurt to think that I had caused those negative tones in his voice. I didn't want to make him worry, I didn't want him to feel sad, I only wanted to be the cause of his smile. Because of that, I allowed myself to be as honest with him as I could.

There is nothing going on between me and Sunggyu. B-but...he does know something about me that no one else knows. I-I just... I don't know if I'm ready to tell anyone else yet,” I said, pausing slightly. “But...I think that, out of everyone else, you'll be the one I trust with it first.” I wasn't sure what made me say that, but I felt like...like I would open up to him first. Like there was something about him that made me drop all of my walls.

You promise?” he asked, his voice still like ice. I considered that for a moment.

Yeah, I promise,” I said.

Alright, then. I'll trust you,” he said in a more normal tone.

I'm sorry. I'll talk to you later, okay?” I said softly. I wasn't sure why I apologized, but I felt like I needed to. He sighed a little over the phone.

Yeah. And...don't apologize. Just keep your promise.” And with that, the line went dead. I sighed and leaned against the vending machine. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* 119 is the Korean emergancy number like the equivalent of the American 911. 

Hey look, I took less than a month to update this time! :D I keep switching between writing this and writing a BAP fic that I probably won't post (because I don't have many plans at all for it but I have tons of plans for this one). I also feel bad for not writing Guardian ChAOS (my other fic) since I updated this one the last time. I won't give up on it, though! I still have tons of plans for that one too! Go check it out if you haven't already and if you are a fan of ChAOS (their new song Kiss Kiss is just soooo adorable and the video is so cute~ Stop motion is very complex and they pulled it off nicely ^^ Taeyang in the beginning makes me want to pinch his cheeks~ He's so adorable~! Anyway, I'll stop fangirling about ChAOS now ^^; )

I also have a few more pictures I drew of Minnie that I need to scan, but one of them I'm saving for a certain event in the story. 

And also, I don't plan on changing POV much in this story. It was just necessary for this part. Some things needed to be addressed, such as the reason Cho Hee wanted to be alone with Sunggyu, and a few hints at things to come ^^