Teaching The Mouse to Dance

Days of Infinite

 

***

I woke up early the next morning, mostly because I slept all day and all night before that, and looked around my apartment. Just my room was a mess of clothing from when I went clubbing with my friends and just threw things out of the way to find all of my jewelry. I wasn't looking forward to looking at the rest of my apartment and seeing the rest of the mess. With a groan, I decided to it up and clean my apartment. I rolled out of bed and started putting clean clothes away and dirty clothes in the laundry basket. The next task I tackled was picking up my makeup, which I had left on the floor. Once I straightened my sheets on my bed and swept my floors, my apartment was as good as new again. I looked around, dusting my hands off onto my shorts that I had fallen asleep in, and admired my now clean apartment.

I took a few pictures of my apartment with my phone and sent them to Sunggyu with a message that said “See? This is how it normally looks.” He replied with a laugh and asked me if I could go to their practice room because Sungjongie and the others wanted to make sure I was okay. I agreed and changed into bright red skinny jeans, a white tank top, and an off-the-shoulder black shirt with a silver design on the front. My mismatched socks were purple and pink this time and I wore my white converse knock-offs on top of them. After a quick brush through, my hair looked decent, so I set off down the elevator and flagged a taxi. Within half an hour, I was at their practice room. I walked into the office space and saw all of the curtains down into the practice room itself. I could see the light on behind them though, so I figured someone was in there. I opened the door and poked my head in. Hoya was in there, practicing by himself. I smiled as he noticed me and stepped in. He pulled his earphones out and smiled back at me.

Hey,” he said. “The others will be back in a moment, they went to get some water.” I did a little skip-step thing as I walked towards him.

Hey Hoya,” I said. “You know, you're really good at dancing. I'm still just a flailing mouse.” He laughed at the familiar reference.

I can try to teach you,” he said. My face brightened up immediately.

Would you?” I asked excitedly. He smiled and nodded.

Alright, first try this,” he said, showing me a couple of moves. I followed his example, and I guess I did alright. I didn't mess up horribly, so it was going considerably well. He elaborated on the moves slowly, and I copied him. I lit up as I recognized the dance. It was the dance for '내꺼하자' (Be Mine), which I knew some of by heart from watching the dance version of the music video all the time. Hoya seemed a bit surprised, but happy, when I did some of the moves with him as he was teaching. He deemed me ready to dance with the music and took his headphones out of his phone to play the song through the small speakers. I stood beside him and watched carefully, copying the moves almost exactly. I smiled in excitement. I was doing it right! I mean, I did mess up here and there, but considering that I just learned it, I was doing pretty good. When the song was over, I looked over at Hoya and giggled. That was when I heard clapping coming from the doorway. I spun around and tripped over my own feet, landing flat on my . Woohyun laughed at me from next to the doorway. I could see the others in the doorway as well.

You're not bad at dancing. Walking, on the other hand, you could work on,” Woohyun said. I stuck my tongue out at him from the floor. Hoya held out his hand to help me up. I took it gratefully and pulled myself up.

Well, I had a great dance instructor,” I said, smiling over at Hoya. He smiled and looked away, embarrassed. “As for walking, I've never been good at that.”

Obviously,” L said from behind Woohyun. “Or running.”

Hey, those stairs came out of nowhere!” I said in my defense. I hid behind Hoya. “Hoya, they're being mean to me...” I muttered.

I can't help what they do,” he said with a chuckle. I pouted and Woohyun walked over to me, throwing an arm around my shoulders.

Sorry, Minnie. I'll be nice,” he said, smiling at me. Sungjong walked over to Woohyun and whispered something that sounded like 'cat' in his ear. Woohyun's face turned a bright shade of red and Sungjong moved him out of the way to hug me. I hugged him back, clearly confused. Hoya turned to face us, since it was probably awkward to have people hugging and stuff behind your back. Everyone else came to join us in the middle of the practice room, L ruffling my hair as he came up. I smoothed it back down and gave him a look. He laughed at me. I resisted the urge to stick my tongue out at him as well.

So you're sure you're okay?” Sungyeol asked, referring to yesterday. I smiled at him, warmed by his concern.

Yeah, I'm okay. I just didn't get any sleep the night before,” I said, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear. L took me by the chin and turned my face to look at him. I gave him a blank stare in return.

I thought I told you to sleep at night,” he said sternly. I wanted to look away from his stare, but he wasn't letting me.

U-um, I had things to take care of,” I muttered. Sunggyu must have seen how uncomfortable I was, because he spoke up then.

L, that's enough,” he said sharply. L glanced at him and let me go. I shot a grateful look at Sunggyu. Woohyun made his way back to my side, his face returning to its normal shade.

You know, if anything is wrong, you can tell us,” he said, not quite meeting my eyes. I nodded, finding it hard to meet his eyes as well. Sungjong pushed me slightly into him. Woohyun caught me by the shoulders just as I caught myself on his waist, my face mere inches from his chest. I was glad not to have face-planted right into him. That would have been just my luck though... Slowly, I looked up at him, my cheeks a light shade of pink. Woohyun was staring at me with wide eyes. I quickly pushed myself away from him. Sungjong threw his arms around both of us.

You two need to stop being so awkward with each other,” he said brightly. Woohyun stepped away and stared at Sungjong incredulously.

You started it!” he said. Sungjong looked at him innocently, as if asking 'who, me?' with his eyes. I shuffled away from the two of them, ending up hiding halfway behind Dongwoo, who glanced back at me with a grin.

Children, that's enough arguing,” Sunggyu said, looking a little worn out. I felt a pang of pity for him and put a hand softly on his shoulder. He smiled warmly down at me to let me know he was okay before looking back at the others. “Besides, I was thinking we should take Minnie to the arcade, since we didn't get to go yesterday.” The others smiled excitedly at that. Sungyeol ruffled my hair and smirked at me.

I'm so going to own you at the motorcycle game!” he said with a gleam in his eyes. I scoffed.

Yeah right, Yeollie. You're going down!” I said, sticking my tongue out at him. I know, I really need to stop doing that, but it's a habit. With that, we headed out.