Not Again

Days of Infinite

 

***

I received a call the next morning at 10 am telling me...that my mom was back in the hospital. I sprung out of bed, my apartment still a mess from throwing my clothes around the night before, and threw on the closest tee shirt and pair of pants I could find. I rushed over to the hospital as fast as public transportation would take me. Once I practically jumped out of the last taxi, throwing more money at him than he had charged me, I dashed through the doors and nearly slammed into the front desk. The lady at the desk saw my panicked face and gave me full attention.

Where's my mom!?” I asked frantically. The lady gave me a blank look. “Kim Cho Hee!” I elaborated. She checked the computer in front of her and gave me a room number. I bowed in a hasty thanks and took off down the hall. I barely skidded to a halt in front of the elevator and smacked my hand on the button to go up. My hands shook as I waited for the doors to open, and once they did, I darted in and pressed the button for the floor my mother was on quickly. The ride up felt like an eternity until the doors finally opened. I dashed out, almost knocking over a nurse in the process, and searched frantically for my mother's room. I found the room number and paused in the doorway. My mother's eyes were closed, and a tube was leading from her arm to a plastic bag on a hook. I hesitantly stepped towards my mom, not wanting to believe that she was there, like that, again. I knelt carefully beside her bed and took her hand in mine. Seeing her like this again...I felt the tears start to flow down my face. I leaned forward and pressed my eyes against the sheets on her bed.

M-mom...Mom, I'm here...please open your eyes,” I croaked. Of course, I got no response from her. Not a flutter of the eyelids, not a tightening of her hand, nothing. It was the same as before. It felt like she had just gotten better, and now she was back. I choked back my sobs and sang her favorite song, 서시(The First Poem) by Shin Sung Woo, to her. Well, I tried. I made it halfway into the second chorus when I broke down in sobs again. I jumped in surprise when I heard clapping behind me. I turned around quickly, standing up. A couple of nurses and a civilian were at the door with tears of their own. I bowed deeply.

I'm so sorry. I'll be quiet,” I said.

It's okay, sweetie. We don't mind,” one of the lady nurses said, wiping the tears from her cheeks. I nodded and turned back to face my mother. One of the nurses brought over a chair and motioned for me to sit down. I did as she instructed and then reached out to hold my mother's hand again. 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Writing this part made me tear up, because something similar happened to me, as well...SO HERE ENJOY AND MORE BOYS NEXT CHAPTER